Why do/don't you believe in God

by LouBelle 153 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I don't believe in gods because I see no evidence for the existence of any such entities. Hypothesising such beings to explain our existence is merely to invent more beings whose existence would be unexplained.

• inquirer
    inquirer

I would be so disgusted with myself if I was rich and didn't believe in God. I would whip myself and think well you know how bad it was when I was poor.

If I became a rich scrooge and then got all cocky, I'd just kill myself. :(

So I hope it's not because of monetary reasons. :(

I am determined to always believe in God.

Of course you have doubts and you think farout because we are imperfect.

Maybe you all think I am stupid, but I wish I could personally kill Adam and Eve for stuffing up things so badly!!! (I think like that sometimes. :( )

LIFE SHOULDN'T BE LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• inquirer
    inquirer

I wouldn't kill someone really, sorry I hope I don't sound unbiblical! :(

• daystar
    daystar

This is a difficult question for me. I do, but I do not.

The god of the Jews/Christians/Muslims, as powerful as it is purported to be, seems quite too limited by human personification to be as omniscient and omnipresent as it is said to be. And this is concerning the exoteric "version" of God as most commonly worshipped. A quabbalist or Jewish mystic might begin by describing YHVH as the creative energy of the universe rather than some bearded guy sitting in a cloud making law and passing judgement.

The word god implies some sort of intelligence comparible to a human's, if surpassed by many, many degrees. I do not believe this to be evidenced to me as anything other than our own wishful thinking. On the other hand, it has been said that the Universe is information...

God is most often given the attribute of One who creates order from chaos. I think that that is our job and that we have ascribed to God the highest aspect of our own job as little creators.

I believe that the force that I might call God would be first, all of existence, all that is, regardless of any human judgement of good or evil. Next, perhaps, It also includes all of non-existence. Perhaps chaos and order together form something I might call God. But even that is inadequate.

So, obviously this being quite confusing, I would say I don't believe in God, at least not as most people would understand that word. I believe that man better fits the word to himself. Something I might call God so utterly pales the scope of that simple (?) word as to cause it to be almost a vulgarity. YHVH comes closer, but is still, as holy as it may be, really just the name of the creative force of the Universe. (In Hebrew, those letters mean much, much more than just a name.)

• inquirer
    inquirer

Daystar you made me think of something else!

--Why do I believe in God?--

~TO ANSWER IT IN SIMPLE TERMS!~

Because he answers my prayers when I really need him! (action = results, prayer being the action, results is the answer you get)

:)

• Mary
    Mary
    how else would you explain my being here?

DHL said: Hmmmh, Mary, I would have sworn your mommy and daddy... But, well...
    I was being a smart-ass .............actually, I do believe that there's a God who started it all............I just would find it incredibly hard to believe that everything we see around us got here by accident.

• Spook
    Spook

I don't believe in a god because...

1. There is not evidence that one exists.

2. Existing claims about a god are logically exclusive and contradictory.

3. There is no supernatural phenomenon which requires more than a natural explanation.

And, to be honest, I've been screwed by not one, but two major religions. If there were indeed a god, despite all evidence to the contrary, I would expect anything required of me to be obvious and compelling. Any god who would ask me to do things which I can not uphold as good and right would have to deal with the fact that I don't believe she is good.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I just had this conversation w/someone the other day. Despite growing up and living life under other religions, I had always doubted my belief in god.

I don't believe in god because:

There is no proof of it.

I no longer feel the need to believe in a supernatural presence holding my answers to life's questions and overall existence.

I don't need/want something to keep me in line, loving and kind other than my own morals as the person I truly am.

If god existed, I would hate him for all the $hit I have been through in my life.

• daystar
    daystar
    Because he answers my prayers when I really need him! (action = results, prayer being the action, results is the answer you get)

I once dated a girl who was a Wiccan. She used this same logic to prove her faith. She still lived at home with her parents. She had very little money. One night we were going to go out. She burned a green candle, performed her little "spell", and then asked her mom for some money. When her mom gave her the money, she claimed this was proof that her "spell" worked.

The power of suggestion and of belief are very powerful indeed.

Her belief in the mother goddess Gaia was supported by (action = results, spell-casting being the action, results is the answer you get)

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I don't believe in God simply because:

1. No evidence.

2. Id have to also believe it's hanging back watching people suffer.

Not believing in God makes more sense and make's life easier, IMO.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit