Are You For or Against Abortion?

by minimus 152 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I am against abortion. Abortion ends an human life, which begins at conception when the embryo and sperm combine to make a new human life with 48 chromosomes.

If abortion is wrong, then why is the capital punishment potentially just? Because those killed by the death penalty have deserved it by their own evil acts and the threat in life they pose to society.

• georgefoster
    georgefoster

I believe abortion should be illegal. I can think of no justification to kill an unborn child, whether it is conscious of its existence or not. Everyone would agree that killing a baby a day before or a day after it is born is wrong. It is impossible to draw an exact line of when its ok to kill that child, so pregnancies should never be intentionally terminated while the child is alive. Even if the mother faces health risks, there is no risk greater than the certain death of the child.

That being said, I understand that I am a man and this is a very complicated issue mainly affecting women.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

No problem Pole, I actually think being called nihlistic may have been a first for me! I like first, lol. Usually.

Still I think saying individual life doesn't ultimately matter as part of your argument doesn't make it better.

It may be a small distinction, but it's an vitally important one; my argument is not at all that individual life doesn't matter. It matters the most! It's individual (oops, no such thing) lack-of-ever-existing-as-a-living-breathing-loved-human-being that ultimately simply doesn't matter.

On a different note: I hate how people buy entire ideologiacl packages. Leftist: pro-abortion against death penalty, right wing: against abortion, for death penalty. Do these sets of beliefs really correlate so strangely with each other?
    Yeah, I know what you're feeling. Speaking for myself however, I do see some correlation. For instance, the same thought process that has allowed me to contemplate on and come to a pro-choice view, has also allowed me to appreciate that the death penalty is not "god ordained", and therefore not an absolute. I'm still not opposed to the death penalty as a societal action, but I am opposed to it being used unfairly or w/o absolute certainty of guilt. And unfortunately it is being applied imperfectly here in the USA, and that is unacceptable. Better to not use it at all, if we can't do it right.
  • Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Six, you think scott doesn't deserve death penalty?

M'

edit to add: No, bait intended..

• prophecor
    prophecor

There are some pretty sobering statistics regarding abortion and crime, that being the reduction of the crime rate due to abortion. It would appear that those of us on the bottom of the economic scale, who are more likely to have an abortion, unwed mothers, teen pregnancies and the like, their children, alledgedly are more at risk and are predisposed to a life of crime.

With the irresponsible actions of socially damaged teen parents, not yet being in a position of power to effectively rear thier children, being not more than children themselves, their offspring have a tendency to go un-monitored and un-checked, allowed to run wild in the streets at a very early age, while often, their underage, unwed mothers, continue to try and live the lifestyle that got them pregnant in the first place, or at best chooses not to do anything constructive with her life.

If that be the case, with the termination of the pregnancy of many of theses potential problems of society, the crime rate goes down. They didn't get the chance at becoming a problem. They also never got a chance to become part of the solution, either. We can roll the dice all we choose, but we may never truly know.

For a look at both sides of the story, check here http://www.ncpa.org/pi/crime/pd082599g.html

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

There are some pretty sobering statistics regarding abortion and crime, that being the reduction of the crime rate due to abortion. It would appear that those of us on the bottom of the economic scale, who are more likely to have an abortion, unwed mothers, teen pregnancies and the like, their children, alledgedly are more at risk and are predisposed to a life of crime.

Who is more likely to have an abortion a rich or well to do person or a person of little means?

Again no bait intended!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    I almost got wacked by abortion

Pole, I, too, was an accident of an 18 yo unwed mother, and in 1956 abortion was a dirty back - alley business. I am grateful she did not seek out an abortion and adopted me out. Although I understand she tried to keep me and I was taken away by her grandmother and given to my adoptive parents. I'm grateful for the people who raised me, even if it was as a devout JW. I have met my siblings and they had it much worse growing up than I did.

I have gone to birth-mothers who have given up their child, and thanked them, and held them while they cried. I have cried at not knowing my mother as an adult because she was killed in a car accident.

I still cannot speak for another person. There are plenty of medically recommended/necessity abortions as opposed to birth-control-by-abortion, and I would never presume to get in between a woman and her doctor with moral legislation.

Hugs to all of you who have had an abortion. Hugs to all of you who have not.

Brenda

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I'm for POST NATAL ABORTIONS of Mother's-in-Law

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I like my Kevan's mother. But then, again, he and I aren't married, so she's not my mother-in-law!

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Answering the question asked, personally I am against abortion. I agree with the sentiment that for most the choice is to be made as to whether you are going to engage in sexual relations or not. As with many other activities in life having sex carries with it the potential for serious ramifications that you need to be ready to accept before engaging in said activity.

Any of you folks ever see what goes on inside of an abortion clinic? Or witness a partial-birth abortion (in my opinion possibly the most barbaric act carried on in civilized societies today)? Many abortions are not simply the discarding of some unwanted cells, they involve fetus' that I understand can react to pain and their mother's voice, are clearly identifiable as soon to be human beings, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit