Are You For or Against Abortion?

by minimus 152 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I am Pro-Choice because I do NOT believe in forcing my beliefs, especially through legislation, on another human being, who is or may be in a possition I will never experience. My personal feelings on this are just that...personal.

• minimus
    minimus

It's interesting that in most political circles, pro-choice is unacceptable.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yes, min, I know. I was shunned in the workplace a few years back. A group I used to eat lunch with was talking anti-abortion, and I just sat and listened. It was really facinating! Then one day they asked me how I felt. I told them I was Pro-Choice because I did not have the right to legislate another woman's decision on the matter. I never ate lunch with that group again! I was totally ignored, and only acknowledged during and for work.

No, they were NOT JW's! But I bet they voted for Bush Jr.

• minimus
    minimus

Whew! That's terrible.

• Pole
    Pole

I almost got wacked by abortion. My daddy wanted to flush me down the toilet, which was why my mom never married him. Now he has 5 other kids and is a die-hard catholic condemning pro-abortion folks. My mum is an ex-dub with unspecified beliefs.

Calling the right to abortion the woman's choice is pretty dumb IMO. Why not exercise free will by using contaceptives in the first place?

Of course there are excepetions. Rape, a threat to the mother's life or health and disabled embrios to name just a few. Here is when the concept of choice makes sense.

I don't know if banning abortion is good from the practical point of view. But abortion for reasons other than the ones I mentioned above is plain wrong for me.

Pole

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I am pro choice and against the death penalty as somebody above asked....

I have no problem with abortion....

Danny

• Pole
    Pole

Can anybody explain to me the difference between killing a few week old embrio and killing a 1 day old child? Serious answers only, please.
    Pole

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Can anybody explain to me the difference between killing a few week old embrio and killing a 1 day old child? Serious answers only, please.

Pole

There is a huge difference as the nerve system is not yet developed. But if you compare it to a later abortion like a 7 month old here is not much difference. Danny

• Pole
    Pole

Sure, there are early births (I guess from 7 moths on) and many such these babies survive. So, it's a difference of the degree, right?

From a moral point of view this is exactly why I have problems with unrestricted abortion. An embrio is only a few months away from becoming a human being in terms unquestioned by most people. So in most cases embrios have the perfect potential of becoming humans.

For me abortion is like resorting to euthanasia when you know the temporarily brain0dead person has 90% chances of surviving given the right treatment.

Pole

• Carol
    Carol

I'm pro-choice, anti-abortion.....let me explain.

At 36 I found out I was pregnant.....I had just reconciled with my husband after a couple year seperation, our son was 12 at the time and I was enrolled in pre-law courses and working full time for an Attorney! I was not happy with the situation, but......! When I told my then husband his answer was..."you need to terminate it, I don't intend to raise a teenager in my 50's...I have plans". Now bear in mind...I had gone off birth control 12 months prior to this and had scheduled a tubal ligation....which he talked me out of, as it was invasive surgery. His next comment was "you did this on purpose to make sure we stayed together". After I showed him the door......cried for weeks.....lost 20 pounds and went to see my Ob/Gyn....I was told that I needed to take it easy at my age. At 5 months they wanted to do an Amnio...the Doctor's reasoning was if there was anything wrong with the baby it wasn't to late to abort.......as I laughed hysterically and refused the test....I told the Doctor, If that had been an option for me I would have done it at 10 weeks not 5 months!

Every woman has the right to safely terminate a pregnancy should she feel she has a reason to.....I couldn't, but I at least had the option. I don't however feel it should be used as a method of birthcontrol for those too lazy to practice it.

And yes, I am for capital punishment......! But that's a different thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit