Ok we've left the Org - Now what?

by Nellie 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nellie
    Nellie

I am no longer a witness. I've told all my worldly friends and my immediate family - my kids have told their friends. i haven't been to a meeting in over a year (and have no desire to go to one) - but I'm not DAd or DFd. I very rarely see congregation members in the community, but when I do they're friendly and speak and I'm cool with that. No one is pressuring or asking anything - surprise, surprise!

But last week my sister called (she lives nearby and is still attending meetings, with one foot on a banana peel). During the call, she mentioned that even though we're not going to meetings anymore, I should still be instructing my children spiritually. I agreed - but then I started thinking.... besides the basic belief in God and Christ, and the principles of good and bad, what do I teach them? What concepts of the truth (if any) do I still believe? Will there be a new system? What about the 144,000? Should we go to "church"?

What are you doing or not doing?

• upside/down
    upside/down

I did better with my kids by buying a Boy Scout Handbook and having some fun...don't preach life...live it.

u/d (of the Eagle Scout class)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    During the call, she mentioned that even though we're not going to meetings anymore, I should still be instructing my children spiritually

My mother said that too me too a while ago. I agreed also and promptly found a cool church that I and the kids enjoy attending. I dont think that was what was my mother meant. heehee

Josie

• Purza
    Purza

My belief system has been shaken and I no longer know what to believe. I have no desire for organized religion in any shape or form.

I have a teenage daughter who is glad we no longer associate with JWs. I figure as long as I am a decent person who is good to others and live by the law of the land that we can be happy. And we are.

I think my daughter sees that and if she has a desire for "god" or "religion" then I will let her search out what she wants to -- I will not force her into a religion just because it was how I was raised. I guess time will tell if I made the right choice.

Purza

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

as JW's we were spoon feed on what to believe.

Now you have the wonderful oppertunity to decide for yourself what you believe. It may take years and it may take lots of reading. But the decision is yours.

Enjoy your journey.

Joy

• defd
    defd

nellie

what made you quit attending? Let me guess, the people there right?

• TheListener
    TheListener

Imagine trying to teach your kids basic spirituality or moral or life experiences while your spouse only how to say "well we don't like 'cause God hates it." I don't believe that a fear of displeasing God is a good motivator in everyday life.

God hates it is the answer to everything.

So, try teaching your children without basing everything on a fear of God, while that's all your mate does. I can't come right out and say that's crap! because I'm fading and I would still like to have a relationship with my spouse. Finding the right balance is hard.

I'd love to follow the lead of others here and find a good church that allows for self expression and viewpoints.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You shouldn't get them integrated in the jw beliefs and society because there is no future for them there as that is a cultish environment, there are serious christian religions that you can associate with.

Many concepts such as the literal interpretation of the 144 000 are unique to the jws and wrongly perceived as is also the nature of the new world.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

We are trying to teach our children theprinciples of "love God [in whatever form you see him/her/it], love your neighbor" and so far they're pretty good kids. Jennie leans toward Buddhism, but only in a very superficial way, and Jackson seems to have more of a spiritual side to him, but off and on (he's 9 years old). None of us have any interest in joining a church and being tied down to one group's ideas of morals and behavior.

Life is a beautiful journey, and I think what we enjoy most is living every day to the fullest instead of ignoring the present in favor of a future at an as yet undisclosed time. That, and Saturday morning donuts instead of field service in the hot Texas sun!

Nina

• Now What?
    Now What?

Greetings and welcome to freedom!

I have one foot in and one foot out. Cleaning up matters with folks who may never speak to me again.

I have been really shaken in the faith department also. However I have come to realize that for me it was faith in religions and not really in God, so I am stepping back and basically 're-inventing the wheel'. I started with a belief in God, yes or no and decided yes. Then moved on to prominent religious figures like Moses, Jesus, Oriental Gurus, etc. I found some neo-pagan things very interesting as well as Taoism, but ultimately came to believe in Christ. So now I am enrolled in college this fall to learn some early church history and such.

In the meantime, I am simply following a personal way of unlearning all the hate from being a jw and learning to be tollerant and respectful of others' opinions. I have a teenage daughter that is also on the 'believing in Christ but unbelieving in the jw' bandwagon and we really get to learn alot from each other as we both explore it together. I think if you have a close personal support group it really helps.

One thing is for sure though: The old 'where will we go' line is sooooo over used and just plain not true. We found that there are lots of places to go that can be spiritually uplifting. For us, the answer happened to be that we are going to Christ. Church? Not yet. We will see what happens down the road with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit