Ok we've left the Org - Now what?

by Nellie 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anewme
    anewme

Again, very thoughtful replies from all. We should all just be ourselves. Love God or not, but be good souls on this earth.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They say: "Love of self is idolatry." So you dont know how.

They say: "Believe no one but us." So you dont believe yourself.

They say: "Only one ark for salvation." So you look for a new boat.

All the time in the bOrg most never pray, they bet on the corportion to give them "benefits" of Everlating Life etc. They dont have a relationship with the God they were purporting to worship.

If you still believe in Jehovah then pray to him. If not, have a nice sandwich and teach your kids to be honest and read a good book. I offer no advice on where to go to worship since you can do it from your own heart wherever you are. (No temple, remember?) Be as anxious as is neccessary.

W.Once.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    If you still want your kids to have basic Bible knowledge, assuming they are still quite young, you could look around for a good children's book of Bible stories. Many of these books have no doctrinal orientation, and they do a good job of weeding out aspects of the Bible which we might find objectionable - just presenting the positive side. Some such books are even rather humanistic in their presentation.

If you're going to pick and choose, why bother with the Bible at all?

How about the idea that God/religion aren't necessary to be a good, moral person?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

What Is Secular Humanism?

Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:

• A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
    • Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
    • A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
    • A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
    • A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
    • A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
    • A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/intro/what.html

• Nellie
    Nellie

Wow! Thanks everybody for your insightful comments - I knew they would be!

To answer Defd's question regarding why I left - I have used the analogy of a filing cabinet in my mind & heart. For years (and I mean many years) as I sat at meetings listening to either direction or comments, there were many that I did not accept as correct. I would open the filing cabinet and put it away and not address it. As I started getting older, it became increasingly difficult to close the file draw. As it sat there ajar, I began thinking about the issues inside and questioned why I was associated with a religion called the "Truth" when I clearly identified many issues in my heart as "not true." This site is full of examples of those untruths - some of which I wasn't even aware of until I started exploring here! Eventually, my conscience could no longer allow my God-given sensibilities to allow me to continue.

Unlike many, my experience in the cong is probably better than most here. It wasn't the people or an experience that drove me away - it was my own inner meter of right and wrong. My ultimate goal is to pass this meter onto my children.

• daystar
    daystar

I have to admit that I tend to group Secular Humanism along with the Christian religions, just without the whole "God" part. I would like to learn from where the Secular Humanist movement derives it's moral stance which so resembles the Western Christian one. It resembles it to such an extent that one may wonder if the moral set was just stolen from the Christians and stripped of its dogma. If that is the case, from where do the moral values obtain their authority, their appropriateness? At least the Christian claim such an authority, albeit misplaced, IMO.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

daystar-

Valid statements. I should clarify that I don't consider myself a "secular humanist"(after my JW experience, I can't imagine ever joining another group or movement), I only point it out as an alternative to people who feel religion is the sole path to being a "moral" person.

I personally think it's very possible to be a good person without an "..or else!" hanging over your head. And Secular Humanism is just one example of people trying to advance humanity without the superstitions and scare tactics of religion.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The filing drawer analogy, very good, Nellie! I'll keep it!

To go with the theme, perhaps it is time to go through the filing drawers and discard everything you know is not right. What's left in the drawer? Start there.

• daystar
    daystar
    after my JW experience, I can't imagine ever joining another group or movement

I'm right there with ya.

I personally think it's very possible to be a good person without an "..or else!" hanging over your head. And Secular Humanism is just one example of people trying to advance humanity without the superstitions and scare tactics of religion.

I certainly believe it is possible as well. The problems I see are deeper however. How does one ultimately judge "good" or "bad"? If you consider this question in light of complex systems, the lines become very grey, indeed they may disappear completely. I recall that when I was a JW, my "good" was very different from what I would judge to be "good" today. In fact, much of what I thought "good" then, I now judge to be quite diabolical. How can I be sure that what I judge "good" now to not later fall into the same category?

Quite a dilemma that, unless one attempts to reach beyond conceptions of good and evil into an amorality which sounds a lot like the way we were taught Jehovah acts (and in fact most all gods act) without trying to twist the facts around to make the "bad" into the "good".

And, in re-reading, I hope all of that makes some semblance of sense.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

If you were drinking gasoline and you discovered it was harmful and stopped, would you turn to propane?

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    would you turn to propane?

Yes. As a wise man once said, "Propane is God's gas"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit