Ok we've left the Org - Now what?

by Nellie 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gespro
    gespro

Hi Nellie and congratulations for removing yourself from an authoritarian, high control cult!!!!!!

Honesty- We're on the same pageWell said!

gespro

• Monski
    Monski

Just go out and do all the stuff you wanted to do and couldn't, and I don't mean adultery, alcoholism and drugs - just have a bit of fun with 'worldly people'. You'll discover that they aren't as bad as the WTS make out. Most are just nice people trying to make the best of life. Have a look around other religions if you want. You'll discover that they are all a bit off-track, except for Buddhists, that is. If I wanted to be part of a religion (which I don't) - that would be it. Have a good life!

• Monski
    Monski

Just go out and do all the stuff you wanted to do and couldn't, and I don't mean adultery, alcoholism and drugs - just have a bit of fun with 'worldly people'. You'll discover that they aren't as bad as the WTS make out. Most are just nice people trying to make the best of life. Have a look around other religions if you want. You'll discover that they are all a bit off-track, except for Buddhists, that is. If I wanted to be part of a religion (which I don't) - that would be it. Have a good life!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Sometimes ex-JWs feel the need to be in some kind of religion so strongly that they suffer from "out of the frying pan and into the fire" syndrome. Don't feel like you have to be in some formal belief system. The world won't come grinding to a halt if you take a moment to step back and assess where you stand. Do some reading, maybe take some college courses, educate yourself, and allow yourself to discover what makes sense to you.

Not having a 192-page book of answers is not some kind of barren wilderness. It's an honest place that allows you to ask questions and seek knowledge in whatever way the evidence seems to point. Take your time, go at your own pace. Perhaps make your children part of the learning process. You'll do fine.

SNG

• willyloman
    willyloman

We walked away less than two years ago. It has been sublime. I love being free from the judgmentalism that permeates the WT religion. Life is good and we're all happier than we could imagine. The one downside is the lingering regret that we didn't leave years ago when we suspected it was all bogus.

• Monski
    Monski

Well said, SNG! No one should feel like they should be part of any "organised religion". Question everything and decide what's best for you - that's the key. It can be a lot of fun and very educational too!

• Justin
    Justin

If you still want your kids to have basic Bible knowledge, assuming they are still quite young, you could look around for a good children's book of Bible stories. Many of these books have no doctrinal orientation, and they do a good job of weeding out aspects of the Bible which we might find objectionable - just presenting the positive side. Some such books are even rather humanistic in their presentation. But the main thing is, it solves your problem of letting the years go by while you find your answers, by which time it may be too late to teach them anything. And, it leaves the future open for both you and them. You have no idea whether they will eventually become devout Christians or vaguely remember some nice stories which Mom told them, and you can distance your own spirituality or lack of it from what you are doing for them. Needless to say, this would also avoid prematurely joining any organized religion.

• homesteader
    homesteader

teach them about character:

honesty

respect

courage

freedom

self-respect

love

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Make sure you learn to love yourself. I felt the JW religion taught me to hate myself and hate other people. They are a religion full of HATE. It's been really hard for me to learn to love something, and I think hating oneself is the worst thing.

Love yourself, your life, and your family. Love other people and love the great things the world has to offer.

Pope

• 9thWonder
    9thWonder

SNG,

I am in the same boat...you know..."out of the frying pan and into the fire" You gave me some peace of mind with that advice. That was great. Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit