Inappropriate "shepherding" calls.

by avishai 64 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Thank goodness for security-locked buildings. I love it when elders drop by unannounced and you say this is not a good time. "We can come back in 30 minutes." How do they think 30 minutes would make a difference; time for my boyfriend to leave! Time to clear out the smell of cigarette smoke (or worse!).

Even after telling all the elders to call and make an appointment, they still just dropped by and got irritated when I wouldn't let them in suggesting I was hiding something; yah, my dirty house and unwashed hair.

During a DC a few years ago, it was demonstrated how to make a shepherding call and the first thing they did was call the sister and make an appointment. You can bet that I hunted down every elder at the KH and asked them what they thought of that demonstration. I told them after that if they stopped by without an appointment, I would consider that they were disobeying the WTS.

w96 3/15 p. 27 How Christian Shepherds Serve You ***

Before making a shepherding call, one elder phones and says, "I call on one family each month. Can I visit you for an hour or so sometime next month? When would this suit you?"

Suggestions

for Shepherding Calls

ยท Make

an appointment: It is usually good to make an appointment. If the elder plans to handle a serious problem, it would be proper to inform the publisher of this beforehand.

Of course, these are the written rules and then there are the unwritten rules.

Blondie

• damselfly
    damselfly

As a teen if I was at a fellow JW's house ( dad was an elder ) I was always sat down and counseled in regards to my behaviour. I also once got invited to supper at a friends house only to get there and find an elder waiting to "lead us back to the truth"

Never once came to my house though OR contacted my parents with what they wanted to counsel me about.

Damselfly

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Or say they show up at like, 10:30 at night for a shepherding call. And you say "Hey, I appreciate the visit but please call first! I have to work in the AM!" And they say "Well, the POLICE would'nt call first!!!! And you say "I thought you were just stopping by to say hi, but I need to go to bed, and start to shut the door and they stick their foot in the door and say "No, I think we're gonna come in!" Even when your an adult, and not baptized?

Wow, did this really happen? If it happened to me, that foot would have gotten broken.

Josie

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I had just one elder call on me! And then the next time 2 elders and the co! What a bunch of crap

• JH
    JH

I had the District overseer come and see me, and then the Zone overseer.....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I had the District overseer come and see me, and then the Zone overseer.....

Wow! I didn't know they even let ZO's out!

• JH
    JH

no zone overseer came i was just kidding

whats higher than a zone overseer?

ozone overseer

• avishai
    avishai
    whats higher than a zone overseer?

Twighlight zone overseer?

alt

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I heard of certain single young elder that liked to do "shepherding calls" to young widow sisters or those that had no husbands at home but did have young children.

One time, this same single young elder was caught walking to her door with a 6-pack of beer on hand. Do you all think he was going to talk to her about how the holy spirit operates?!

When down the road he decided to marry somebody else, this widow sister he used to do "shepherding calls" to tried to commit suicide.

DY

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember one time in particular, that they came to the house, and I simply told them this was not a good time. They insisted on coming in still, but I wouldn't let them. The look on their face was priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit