Inappropriate "shepherding" calls.

by avishai 64 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

How many have recieved calls by the elders that were under the guise of "shepherding", but somehow inappropriate, i.e, you were a woman alone with only one elder showing up, or you felt physically intimidated by both.

Or say they show up at like, 10:30 at night for a shepherding call. And you say "Hey, I appreciate the visit but please call first! I have to work in the AM!" And they say "Well, the POLICE would'nt call first!!!! And you say "I thought you were just stopping by to say hi, but I need to go to bed, and start to shut the door and they stick their foot in the door and say "No, I think we're gonna come in!" Even when your an adult, and not baptized?

Anything like this ever happened to you? Any inappropriate elders visits? Sexual harrassment? Gestapo tactics?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I know at my JC, they asked my mother to leave the room so they could "get through" to me... That means intimidate...

however, my family hasn't had a shepherding call in at least 5 years... hmm...

• Dustin
    Dustin

I used to hate it when they would come unanounced at times that didn't work. Then they would pull the same crap about how this was urgent, and could mean my life. I have a big middle-finger for their sheperding calls now. Fortunately, I will never have another one.

• avishai
    avishai

One of my fave responses was when they called on a self employed landscaper friend of mine, Aand said "WE NEED TO TALK TO YOU NOW!" and he said "I'm busy working, If you want to talk now, you can pick up a shovel and help shovel manure, this is peak season, and I'll talk. I need to feed my family as stated in such and so scripture" . They did'nt wanna get their suits dirty. He offered them coveralls and everything, still no dice. Hmmm.

• Dustin
    Dustin

That's awesome! Nothing like using one of their own scriptures to make them feel stupid.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

When I moved to Tampa in 1982, I decided to attend some meetings even though my heart wasn't really into it. I figured it would be a way to tell whether my distate for dubdom was because I was being forced to attend ... and maybe if I attended of my own free will it might be better. So I went for a couple of months. And then I stopped.

A month or two after I stopped, I was home sick with the flu and there was a knock at the door. Two elders had stopped in to see why I hadn't been to the kingdumb hall for a while. We chatted for a bit, and then they left.

It wasn't so much an 'inappropriate' call, I suppose ... unless you consider a 2-on-1 situation inappropriate. I don't know if they thought they could embarrass or intimidate me. If so, they failed. I never heard from them again.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"No, I think we're gonna come in!"

Excuse me, but first Iet me make a quick phone call to the police to report a home invasion and trespassers.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was once counselled as a MS for making a shepherding call alone on a single sister

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I was once counselled as a MS for making a shepherding call alone on a single sister

I certainly hope that you properly administered any needed spankings.

• orion
    orion

the elders were visiting my mom after i had my baby, they were giving her a sheperding call for whatever reason. i was hoping to get out of the house before they showed up but I didn't make it. One of the first comments out of the brothers mouth was "how old is the baby", i answed, "and how long have you been married". He was trying to bring up the fact that my child was a basterd and I got married after when I should have been married in the first place. I was pissed off, my mom was irritated, but did she do anything????? NOPE....and life goes on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit