Why Does The Society Pick BORING Books To Study At The Bookstudy?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

If you were naughty, Darth Y, they'd take away your "privilege" of commenting. Like that's a punishment. Both my boys got in trouble (unbaptized publishers) and couldn't comment at meetings. I thought it was retarded. They would have been better off if they'd made them comment...that way they'd at least have to pay attention somewhat.

I liked the bookstudy best of all too...especially when they let me go to the afternoon meeting at the KH. I hated going to evening meetings. The Isaiah (I think it was Isaiah, maybe it was Daniel) book gave me a headache, though. The way they tried to apply some things to our day or to the WTS made no sense to me. We all sat there like nincompoops when the BS conductor asked his little questions. Half the time he had to answer them himself.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

For Midwich (I think) who requested the "interpretation clause" in the beginning of the Revelation book:

"It is not claimed that the explanations in this publication are infallible. Like Joseph of old, we say: "Do not interpretations belong to God?" (Genesis 40:8) At the same time, however, we firmly believe that the explanations set forth herein harmonize with the Bible in its entirety, showing how remarkably divine prophesy has been fulfilled in the world events of our catastrophic times." --Revelation It's Grand Climax at Hand! p.9

The scan was too large to post here but you can see it at http://tinypic.com/8wi00n.jpg if interested.

And I thought their "explanations" were claimed to be interpretations given them by God...I'm so confused.

~Merry

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Thats funny. I cant spell worth a crap any night, LOL!

I suppose that my congregation would not acknoledge a DF'ed persons attempts of commenting, but they didnt discourage anyone else from participating.

Your right though. If I couldnt comment then nothing would stop me from entering a total vegatitave state during the weekly onslaught of programming.

• heathen
    heathen

Yah , they might as well just say that these are our opinions at this point .

It is not claimed that the explanations in this publication are infallible
  • willyloman
    willyloman
    we were talking about some countries having all of their meetings in one day and we were saying wouldn't be cool to do that so we could get them all out of the way and have the rest of the week off. But one sister said ... It was the meetings that kept us spiritual so we needed more of them not less.

There was a tiny congo (call it Congo A) about 40 miles from our home. It was formed out another congo (call it Congo B) that was another 30 miles down the highway, all because a zealous CO said felt there was a big boom in JW growth coming and he urged B to form a new congo in this little village. They did so by convincing two or three families to move there to support the two families that were already living there. A couple of other families from an urban congo nearby also agreed to move there.

In all six families, about 25 people (counting kids) made up the new Congo A. They had four or five "studies" coming to meetings as well. But there was no work there and the weather was extreme in this mountain village, meaning residents were often snow-bound in the winter. The two urban families moved back home in less than a year. One of the families that originally lived in the village just stopped coming to meetings and refused to talk about why. This left three families in Congo B, and soon one of the men lost his job and the family was forced to move away. This all happened within 15 months.

The two families that were left lived at opposite ends of this rural area, about 20 miles from each other. So they took turns holding all the meetings at their respective homes. Every Sunday, at one home or the other, they held the school, service meeting, took a break to eat lunch, and sat back down for the "public" talk and WT study. The "studies" had long since lost interest in this bizarre little group and that meant the meetings were attended by two families (four adults and four kids, two of them infants).

This became problematic, of course, for all the reasons you can imagine. Finally a new CO arrived in the circuit and he wrote the WTS and got permission to "fold" this tiny little Congo B back into A from whence it came.

In telling the story, the CO would always say, "It's the meetings that keep us spiritual and this is what can happen when you go five or six days without a meeting." Of course, that overlooked the fact that each family supposedly had its own book study one night during the week (although I'm told this was about as frequent as the "family study" all dubs are supposed to have). The CO also overlooked the fact that his predecessor "sold" the idea of this "split," telling all the dubs that Jehovah would bless the whole thing without fail.

Looking back, I think the CO was partly right. Frequent meetings are important to the JW system. Not because Jehovah's spirit is involved in any way. Rather, the indoctrination doesn't work when you give people long intervals in which to recover. I believe it was this indoctrination that the dubs missed, even if they didn't recognize it as such.

I know when our family began its planned fade, the first time we went three weeks without going to any meeting of any kind (and without reading any of the WTS publications), we were like patients recovering from pneumonia. We could breathe again and it felt good to see the sky.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Brother "Lively" will read for us tonight. Brother "Serious" will open with prayer. "Brother Thank You "will close with prayer. Brother and Sister forgetful need to turn in their field service report, make something up, afterall, we want our bookstudy group to have the highest avg. number of hours.

Now, lets enjoy the spiritual food prepared for us by the Faithful Slave!.After the bookstudy conductor asks, " Now how might we apply tonight's lesson in the field sevice this weekend?' BTW. Sister elder and I will not be out this weekend, so Brother Local" will be taking the lead.

Blueblades

• vitty
    vitty

This is for Midwich

I hope this is what you were asking for? I thought this statement was on the first page of the Rev book but its in a box on page 9

Interpreting the scriptures: The mysteries locked up in the book of Rev have for long baffled sincere students of the bible. In Gods due time, those secrets had to be unlocked, but how, when, and to whom? Only Gods spirit could make them known the meaning as the appointed time drew near.(Rev 1:3) Those sacred secrets would be revealed to Gods zealous slaves on earth so that they would be strengthened to make known his judgements. (compare Matt 13:10,11)

It is not claimed that the explanations in this publication are infallible. Like Joseph of old, we say :"Do not interpretations belong to God?" (Gen40:8)

At the same time however,we firmly believe that the explanations set forth herein harmonize with the bible in its entirity, showing how remarkably divine prophesy has been fulfilled in the world events of our catastrophic times.

hope this helped

• heathen
    heathen

I think that was the last book they used to trash the UN and babylon the great . Notice how when they joined the UN as an NGO that it all became subject to opinion .The agreement they signed forced them into partnerships with other religions and the governments . I think they put the book down for awhile but since they are no longer affiliated with the UN I expect them to start it up again . Personally I thought it was one of the more interesting studies of which I never completed because nobody seems to know what is being said in Revelation .Most scholars think Babylon in revelation is either the Roman Empire or actually ancient Babylon .

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Be patient Minimus. All things evolve.

DY

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Suggestions for more interesting books to study:

War and Peace by Tolstoy

The Tibetan book of the Living and Dead by some Tibetan guy

Any piece of coursework written by any one of my students (total cobblers)

The assembly instructions for any piece of furniture from IKEA

My calculator instruction manual by a complete psychopath

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit