Why Does The Society Pick BORING Books To Study At The Bookstudy?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    I think they should study the revelation book AGAIN

If I had to study that book one more time, I wouldnt go to a book study

I swear that's what came to my mind Vitty - I hated studying the same publication. I think I went through the Greatest Man book twice (or was it three times?).

It amazes me that they just keep on doing the same things year after year ... the program hasn't changed in decades. I believe that will be part of their downfall. Most mainstream religions are responding to the changes in society but the WT is not. It's just the same ole s***.

• blondie
    blondie

The only one allowed any independence in what he wrote was Fred Franz. He at least gave the illustion to the rank and file that he was a scholar. The rest just copy and paste afraid they might say the wrong thing and get booted from Bethel.

w50 2/15 p. 56 How to Stick to It ***

A proud person might feel himself to be too important or too capable to go from house to house in God’s service. But Jesus and his disciples did not feel that way. They did not choose to serve God because they were unable to find any other employment or because they were unqualified for any other work.

or could you imagine such a letter in a WT study article

w50 2/15 p. 57 How to Stick to It ***

One recent example that is very unfortunate is set forth in the following letter:

Dear Brethren:

I am writing for your suggestions on separation and divorce. My husband and I are witnesses for Jehovah but in the past two years we have slacked in our zeal for the service. I realize the mistake we have made and have tried to get my husband to get into the service again. Since the first of this year I haven’t been able to get him to attend meetings. He thinks because at one time he was company servant and has slacked his hand that he has lost his right to the Kingdom blessings. Of course I think the Devil has ensnared him and he is trying to justify his actions now.

He has become involved with a woman and wants a divorce so he can marry her. I told him he would certainly be throwing away all hope if he proceeds in this. We have two children, and I think anyone who has a knowledge of God’s laws should be able to figure out that they must leave such temptations alone, even if we can’t get along, which I think we could if he would give up this other woman. Please write us as soon as possible on our standing. I realize we have lost a lot of blessings by our negligence, but is all hope gone? I know he loves the Lord and the Lord’s people. But I am at a loss as to what steps I should take.

Yours for the Theocracy,

That is the very pitiful state into which failing to stick to the work and stick to the Lord’s organization has led some individuals. That is what Satan will bring upon those who give him an opening by pausing to associate again with the old world: mental suffering, misery, unhappiness.

The book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, 1966, said on pages 26-30: (Italics added)

The time is fast drawing near for the reality that was foreshadowed by the Jubilee of liberty to be proclaimed throughout the earth to all mankind.... Most certainly the near future would be the most appropriate time for it. God's own written Word indicates that it is the appointed time for it.... In this twentieth century an independent study has been carried on that does not blindly follow some traditional chronological calculations of Christendom, and the published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E..... So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence.

How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ.... It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God for the reign of Jesus Christ, the "Lord of the sabbath," to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence.

• vitty
    vitty

Midwich I do have the revelation book why?

• blondie
    blondie

One reason they give is that so many new ones have come in since it was last studied and the Bible talks about God's reminders and that the Israelites heard the same thing read every year when they went to their festivals.

• kid-A
    kid-A

My vote for the most mind-numbing book study books had to be the Revelation book and the Daniel book. Just absolutely PAINFULLY DULL

from cover to cover. Do they think anybody gives a rats ass what the prophetic significance of the third crown on the fourth head of the 10th beast following

the 6th sounding of the 8th trumpet of the scarlet harlot?? These books were classic cult control tools, fill the readers mind with endless jargon, disconnected

imagery and somehow twist it all into their end of the world theory. The "questions" require no thought, you just regurgitated verbatim what you had underlined

in the text. Uggghhhhhhhhhhh................

• blondie
    blondie

Beleve me, the Babylon the Great book and the Then is Finished the Mystery of God book were 100 times worse than the Revelation book and the Daniel book.

But you had to be alive and reading in 1963 and 1969 to appreciate studying them twice.

Blondie

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Usually the JWs will study whatever book the Society has an oversupply of. By using these books in the congregation book study it automatically creates a need for the book and they get their stock down. I doubt if it really has much to do with what material is in the book or whether it is interesting or boring.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

vitty - I remember there being an ''exclusion clause'' in the front (which isn't on the CD-ROM) - something about Interpretations being God's, and the contents may not be accurate but what the Society understood. AFTER I read that I just thought what a waste of time. Would you look for me? Thanks.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Usually the JWs will study whatever book the Society has an oversupply of. By using these books in the congregation book study it automatically creates a need for the book and they get their stock down. I doubt if it really has much to do with what material is in the book or whether it is interesting or boring.

I disagree. I think there study articles are a smart plan to keep people in, and warn for apostates etc.

When they have a stock they just put it as publication that you have to place at that month. I remember having to place sets of 3 of those old obsolete books. What a disaster. Was that local or world wide/

Danny

• minimus
    minimus

I do remember that we were told years ago that the extra books did have to get rid of and they even encouraged you to get a new book and re-study that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit