Any coloured people here?

by Hellrider 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Now that I got your attention, here`s a quote from the WT, february 1952:

"Really, our colored brothers have a great cause for rejoicing. Their race is meek and teachable, and from it comes a high percentage of the theocratic increase." {WT Feb 1 1952 95}

Hm...isn`t that kind of a racist remark? Not very "theocratic", is it... Anyway, I found a great website with stupid and horrible quotes from past JW-pulications: I`m laughing my ass off here

http://www.jwfiles.com/

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What color are you looking for? Yes it is kinda racist, kinda related to: " Boy those darkies such do smile alot, their teeth are really white, and wow what big lips they have!"

Josie

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'm a slightly brownish pink.

AlanF

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I'm sort of beige, but my people prefer to be called "light-taupe".

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Yeah, the've said some pretty condescending and downright stupid things in their mag's. About pretty much everyone who is not a wealthy white American male. Knuckleheads.

About that 'coloured' question... Let me see... I get pale white when I'm sick, turn red when I get sun, turn blue when I hold my breath, and according to my husband turn bright purple if I am really pissed...do any of those colours count? lol

J

• blondie
    blondie

Everybody was racist back then if using "colored" is the measuring rod.. Colored was considered the polite term as opposed to the N word many used. North or South, East or West, that was the vocabulary of people in the US. Black people called themselves "colored."

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) for example.

What was evident was that the WTS was not going to get involved in any fight for civil rights for the black person. The only rights they were concerned about was the right not to salute the flag and the right to go door to door on Sunday. They figured they could still preach and have separate KHs and separate territories, segregation. Whatever the law was in that state for black people, black JWs had to obey.

Blondie

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Have to agree with Blondie, where I grew up Colored wasn't a negative term, until the mid 80's then it had to be Black or you'd get your head smashed in Louisiana, now of course it's African American. But then again where I am from black people can't go into the wrong side of town or down the wrong roads without getting reminded where they should be. Sounds far fetched, but it is very true.

Now I just see "people", and I caught myself today when someone asked me if someone they were meeting up with were white or black...and I actually had to think about it, not because I didn't know, but because I hadn't thought about people in those terms in so long.

But to get back on subject, back home I was labeled as bad association because I had a really close friend who was black, and we spent a lot of time together. My dad told me I didn't need to be spending my time with "those people". And my brother was chastised for dating a black JW pioneer, they even used the "unevenly yoked" thing.

WLG

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It's true that coloured was not considered a negative term, and actually the quote listed above is one of the tamer ones. I don't think he's come across the real barn burners yet.

But...he will...

J

• upside/down
    upside/down

I'm "olive" with a tan...

But I'm red on the inside...

u/d (of the melanin challenged class)

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

From The Watchtower of March 1, 1946, page 80:

“I have conducted book studies with several colored men, and the one has been doing much witnessing to others. He owns much property here and thus contacts many people. At our last study he related an experience. He had been witnessing to a white man who is a city official and very well-to-do. This white man invited the colored man to his home and became interested and wants him to keep coming. He even served the darky his supper.”

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit