Birthdays

by 9thWonder 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mad max
    mad max

4 BIRTHDAYS MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE, theJW say only 2.

Birthday of Pharaoh, criminal was beheaded (Gen;40:20)

Birthday of Herod, J the Baptist was beheaded reluctantly (Matt; 14:6)

Birthday of Job's sons "held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day". (Job:1:4)

Birthday of Jesus. The birth of Christ, celebrated by the angles in song and glory. (luke 2:10-14)

The rules of the Watchtoer

To celebrate a Wedding and buy gifts? OK

To celebrate the birth of a child and buy gifts? OK

To celebrate the anniversary of a wedding and buy gifts? OK

To celebrate the anniversary of a birth? NO - PAGAN

I got this above info from www.uq.net.au

So tell your son if the angles in the Heaven can celebrate Jesus the Kings birthday and can get gifts, then yes it is right that you celebrate his Birthday as well.

AND HAVE A BIG SPLASH

Then tell him "just you wait for Christmas"

• georgefoster
    georgefoster

When my wife joined the jws, the birthday issue was the most asinine. My wife's defense of the "logic" behind the prohibition was proof to me that she had drunk the kool-aid. I make sure that my two step-kids and my daughter have a birthday party every year. My wife's a homemaker in the suburbs, 2 blocks from the elementary school, and I have to leave work downtown to bring cupcakes for their class on their birthdays. Its not about the birthdays - its about making a kid feel like a total outcast and a loser because he can't celebrate a birthday. Same thing with the freaking pledge of allegiance.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Big fat Bible.... you think there'd be just ONE sentence that says...thou shalt not do B-days!

"God" of the Bible...is never so clear and precise...

Just the Dubs way of squeezing as much pleasure out of your life... so you can be enticed by "their carrot".

u/d

• trevor
    trevor

As there is no scriptural prohibition against celebrating birthdays, what is the charge on which offenders are disfellowshipped? Well, on the occasions that I witnessed members being expelled in this way, the charge of apostasy was used!

You may wonder how throwing a birthday party for one’s child or attending a party to celebrate the birth of Christ can be deemed apostasy? Well, as the Watchtower Society has decided that its members must not recognise birthdays, to do so is an act of disobedience towards them and a challenge to their authority. The charge then is one of apostasy against the Society. As they believe that they speak for God himself, the offence is viewed as disobedience towards God.

I am sorry if you find it difficult to follow this reasoning but so did the friends of mine that were disfellowshipped on this charge. Their crime was to hold a small private birthday party for their little girl. The little girl in her excitement told the child of another Witness. This child’s parents duly reported the infringement of the rules to the elders. Both parents said they felt they had done nothing unscriptural but were disfellowshipped the same week and then shunned by the congregation. They were so appalled by their treatment that they remained outside the organization and decided to prayerfully seek “the truth” elsewhere.

If the elders were not to stamp out such conduct, just think of the consequences. The idea could catch on and children throughout the Witness movement could suddenly find themselves celebrating their birthdays and being made to feel special for one day each year!

• jula71
    jula71
    Big fat Bible.... you think there'd be just ONE sentence that says...thou shalt not do B-days!

U/D.......come on man....just like smoking and voting.....the principle is there.

• Purza
    Purza
    Its not about the birthdays - its about making a kid feel like a total outcast and a loser because he can't celebrate a birthday

I agree with this. I never was an outcast -- but I FELT like one. I shared a b-day with two other people in my class and I was always embarassed because I wasn't celebrating.

Now, I go all out for my teenager (she loves it) for b-days and xmas. Its not about whether its pagan or not, it is just about the person. I think everyone should have a special day at least once a year.

Purza

• Mary
    Mary
    9thWonder said: I have an 8 year old who is being taught by my parents the same things that I was taught, including how we can't celebrate birthdays.

Welcome to the board! When I was a kid, I constantly questioned my mother about why we couldn't celebrate birthdays.....never got a normal answer as there isn't one. With regards to your statement above, I would be very cautious about letting your parents influence your 8 year old on ANY other religious beliefs in this wacko religion........there have been countless experiences like this where the grandparents turn their grandchildren against their parents by telling them how Jehovah "hates" anyone who celebrates a birthday and other crap like that.

proandcon said: the WTS also has said that we do not want to give undue honor to any human on any date for any reason

"Honor your father and your mother: that your days may be long upon the land which the Jehovah has given to you," Exodus 20:12. I specifically quoted this scripture to an elder once when he told me why we weren't supposed to celebrate Mother's Day or Father's Day...........he was furious that he had no reply.......stupid twit.....which part of that don't they understand?

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

We just started celebrating this year. My son had his first birthday party-at 6 years old! I was concerned that his thoughts would have been contaminated by the JW junk, but believe me, he was so caught up in feeling special, opening presents, etc, that he didn't even question it. Once you celebrate with him, he is going to always remember the great feelings, and wonder why his grandparents say it's evil. .

(I'd really think twice about allowing that-be firm and tell them no preaching or no grandkids. JMHO).

Really play up and point out how much fun your family has compared to dub families. I'm guilty of going overboard just because I want to prove that point plus I love holidays.

We did Christmas for the first time this past December, and it was a bit hard for my kids to wrap their minds around the concept. The only thing my son asked was this: "So now Jehovah says it's ok to celebrate Christmas?" I was a bit blunt, and told him that we were in the wrong religion, but now were out, and they could be like all the other kids. (I also said that there was something wrong with Witnesses brains-that they were controlled like a robot and couldn't think for themselves-it was one of my bitter days-ahem!)

It took all of 30 seconds after the festivities began for my 3 kids to forget about being Witnesses and they just had FUN! I'll bet that happens for your kids, too.

• desbah
    desbah

I like your post mad max

4 BIRTHDAYS MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE, theJW say only 2.

Birthday of Pharaoh, criminal was beheaded (Gen;40:20)

Birthday of Herod, J the Baptist was beheaded reluctantly (Matt; 14:6)

Birthday of Job's sons "held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day". (Job:1:4)

Birthday of Jesus. The birth of Christ, celebrated by the angles in song and glory. (luke 2:10-14)

The rules of the Watchtoer

To celebrate a Wedding and buy gifts? OK

To celebrate the birth of a child and buy gifts? OK

To celebrate the anniversary of a wedding and buy gifts? OK

To celebrate the anniversary of a birth? NO - PAGAN

I got this above info from www.uq.net.au

So tell your son if the angles in the Heaven can celebrate Jesus the Kings birthday and can get gifts, then yes it is right that you celebrate his Birthday as well.

Birthdays ...... them oh yeah....no beheading at our party.

~desbah~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit