Birthdays

by 9thWonder 28 Replies latest jw friends

• 9thWonder
    9thWonder

I have been DF'd for over 3 years (for the third time... you know it's the charm). I have an 8 year old who is being taught by my parents the same things that I was taught, including how we can't celebrate birthdays. I have been doing a little research on the origin of worldly customs, such as weddings and birthdays only to find that there are many wedding customs that Witnesses have adopted that have pegan origins. Ex. the wedding veil and bridesmaids were both originally used to ward off wicked spirits. The veil, so that the bride cannot be recognized and the bridesmaids were to dress just like the bride to confuse the wicked spirits. One of the Popes instituted the custom of the wedding band (or maybe the engagement band). Weddings and birthdays in themselves are not bad, rather it is the way in which they are celebrated.

Anyway, I said all that to say that, for the first time, I am going to have a birthday celebration for my son. I just wondered if there are others out there who have made a conscious decision to do this. If so, what were your reasons?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I did for my Daughter...It was her 3rd Birthday!

I had enough with the Elders. All the "you can do this but you can't do that"...then a year later it will change. I had it.

Plus, she is my 1st born! I went through 60 hours of Labor and Dammit we are having a Party!

Brooke

P.S. Happy Birthday U/D!

• 9thWonder
    9thWonder

I feel ya! The problem is that I am starting pretty late, so unfortunately he may have some feelings of guilt or may feel like he's disappointing my parents (his grandparents). I explained to him why Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays and that there is nothing in the bible that directly condems birthdays, so he shouldn't feel bad about it and he doesn't have to keep it a secret. I told him that it was up to him, so I'm going to play it by ear. His birthday is Sept. 23rd... we'll see. He's a great kid and he deserves it.

• Netty
    Netty

I have been having birthday parties for my kids ever since they were born, (ages 7 and 3). And been having a blast with it too! I finally had to ask of my my jw parents, that they stop teaching my son what the wts teaches about birthdays. My son was really getting confused by them. Here we celebrate, and he sees all these good people partaking, (hubbies side of the family, my friends, etc) and then his other grandparents tell him those who celebrate will die. Great way to screw up a 7 year olds mind.

Good luck with your first birthday celebration, congratulations, and happy b-day to your son.

Also, Welcome!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I know how you feel about the whole thing of Guilt. Ohhhhh so sad (((((((((hug))))))))!

Well look at it this way I am sure alot of Adults are not mad about being told there was a Santa! He is still young.

I wish the Best to you and your son!

Brooke

• 9thWonder
    9thWonder

Thanks! Good to be here.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Good for you 9th Wonder - and you're so right, I never understood any Biblical reason for not celebrating birthdays. I was told that as Jesus's birthday (date) wasn't acknowledged, then neither should ours' be...and I can't remember the last same time someone was beheaded at a Birthday party.

So, make it a good one for your son, and welcome to the board!!

• carla
    carla

We always used to celebrate all holidays and husband loved them for the most part. (he has been studying with jw for about two years soon to be baptized). Now, however, he will not participate, which only make me go way overboard for holidays.

The reason he gives is so lame. Pharoh killed someone on his birthday. Well, he also let someone else live on that day! Story in Job most certainly sounds like they were celebrating b-days. As for the fact that Job 'then' went and prayed for his kids, not because they partied too much on the b-days, but, 'as was the custom'. As for John the Baptist getting beheaded on a birthday,well, all I can say is name a day in history in which something bad did not happen. Was the day evil or were the people evil? If one believes in God, are not all days His?

Just more control and isolation techniques by the WT.

carla

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I had my first birthday party when I was 17 yrs. It was great. All my sisters and I go way overboard on our kids birthday parties. I guess we are living them thru our kids. And boy, are all the kids eating it up.

• proandcon
    proandcon

Even as an elder, I had a real problem with the not celebrating birthdays bit..." the day of death is more important than the day of birth"...only bad things (beheadings) happened on the only birthdates mentioed inthe bible...yada, yada...

Yet...couples celebrate their wedding anniversary all the time...that's very much like a birthday as it is a celebration of the years one was wed...like a birthday is a celebration of the years one was born...

the WTS also has said that we do not want to give undue honor to any human on any date for any reason

Yet...note the comment above re wedding anniversaries...how does that relate

also re honor and prestige...I know many elders who get real puffed up when they are announced to give a talk or better uet are announced as the speaker at a DC or CA...

talk about screwed up...doe Jah really look down on someone having a bithday?...not very likely

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit