Birthdays

by 9thWonder 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

welcome what a great response. I faded bout three years ago and have had a birthday for my 3 year old from the start. Its so much fun and i get to live what i missed out on through my son. And im also getting married for the second time this year and find that info fascinating. And if ever questioned by my dad (elder) bout birthdays i will def use that info and see what he says...but like anything i bet they have an excuse for it es

• carla
    carla

Didn't the WT have a big birthday bash awhile back? oops, I mean anniversary. carla

• 9thWonder
    9thWonder

One of my best friends since childhood asked her uncle (a congregation elder) the "birthday" question. He couldn't really give her a reason why we should not celebrate our birthdays. In so many words (or not so many) he basically said that it's a conscious matter. I guess you have to think about stumbling others with celebrating your birthday, the same as you do with braiding or locking your hair or wearing a nicely trimmed beard. There is too much emphasis put on external and not enough on internal (i.e., mental, spiritual, emotional stability and strength).

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I have seen this on here before - but how is it possible to stumble others by making a decision of conscience for yourself?

• Apostate Paul
    Apostate Paul

It's now a "matter of conscience"? Wow, things have changed since when I was a JW.

There really isn't any biblical admonition against birthdays; the JW's only instituted it as a rule to maintain crowd control in the Rutherford era. It's essentially an arbitrary, baseless regulation. And yes, it always mystified me that anniversaries and graduations were okay, but birthdays were not. Anniversaries and graduations, technically speaking, are artificial, manmade accomplishments and celebrations. Birthdays are pretty much unavoidable. Never got that.

I'm amazed that there is, as Truthseeker indicated in another post, a creeping movement of liberalism in the WTS. I hope it continues.

• luna2
    luna2

Soooo, the Watchtower is softening it's stance on birthdays, are they. Those guys, give me a big pain in the rear! I was so strict about not celebrating all these years, and while that's not such a big thing to an adult, it's huge for a child. I feel sick sometimes when I think about the normal, happy stuff my kids missed out on. At least I never made them return birthday or Christmas gifts from the relatives. ::sigh::

Good for you on setting up a party for your boy, 9thWonder! I'd be sure to have a little talk with your folks too....it's not right for them to lay a guilt trip on a little kid. Witnoid reasoning for no birthdays is a bunch of bunk anyway. I was always uncomfortable about it. Christmas I could get, Easter...yeah, okay, Valentines Day...alright; all old pagan celebrations adapted to Christianity, but birthdays? Come on. Witnesses were totally adding on to the Bible with that restriction. I wish I'd gone with my gut instincts.

BTW, Welcome to the board 9th and Apostate Paul!

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Hi 9thwonder

There is nothing unscriptual about birthdays - even the witnesses admit this HOWEVER as there is no record of Jesus attending one, and the only 2 mentions in the bible resulted in beheadings they choose not to celerbrate them. They just love making rules so the JW's can break them.

Make your kids day, and celebrate their birthday, it great for the kid, and good for you too.

Given the whole JW thing is sooooo freakin boring for kids it would be nice to see them relent but noooooo. This was and remains one of my big issues with the JW's, I guess having nothing done at all for my 21st birthday [it's THE birthday in NZ], and being expected to trot off to the ministry school instead eally set my heart agains the witnesses, and I sure resented my parents at the time.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I remember the 'beheading' thing about the birthdays but I also remember that the main reason given in our hall for 0 holiday fun was that jesus only wanted us to celebrate the memorial of his death. All the other reasons were almost like an afterthought. I also remember as a teenager becoming fascinated with the origin of wedding customs and telling my mom of the pagan origins of the wedding ring, veil, bridemaids etc. Her response was that it was ok for witness to follow these customs as they had stopped (?) being pagan and were now socially accepted by all members of society who weren't following them because they were pagan. Never mind the fact that holidays are celebrated in modern times for non pagan reasons exactly like the wedding ceremony.!!!!!!!!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Just for clarification. Birthdays aren't officially a conscience matter, as in you can do it if you want. They are definitely frowned upon and certainly viewed as pagan. Now, Pinatas or Luaus are another story altogether. :)

• jula71
    jula71

Job 1:4 "And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them."

Call me crazy...but it sounds like birthdays to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit