Is College now wrong for Jehovah's Witnesses again?

by booker-t 47 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

I have been out of the JW's for many years now but I still have devout JW's family members. And I am attending college now at 40 yrs old working on my BA degree. I was so happy a few years ago when my JW mom told me that the WT is slacking off on telling JW's teenagers that college is bad and it is ok to attend college and universities. So I felt at least these kids would have an opportunity that I did not have when I was 18 yrs old. If you went to college back in the 80' s you were "marked" and stripped of your position in the KH. The elders talked so bad about attending college that I dropped out after the first semester. So when my mom told me a few years ago that it was ok I cheered the WT for allowing some freedom for JW kids. Now my JW neighbor told me the other day that at the JW convention he went to the WT society is again denouncing "college" because the "end" is near. I am so sick and tired of the WT trying to scare JW kids off from getting a good education. I think they are afraid of JW kids going to college and doing research on the WT and many JW kids leaving the JW's. What is the deal now is going to college now a disfellowshipping, disassociation, or "reproving" act?

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi There Booker!

Yes evidently they are denouncing higher education again. Some people here have been to this years District Conventions and the drama is aimed at the evils of higher education and this theme is reoccurent throughout the entire 3 day program.

I guess they don't have to worry because they provide no financial help to their members so they don't give a hoot if these people end up old and with no money to live reasonably. All they care about is that people spend more time selling their books door to door then going to school.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Oh my God. That is horrible. I'm dreading this one. I hope hope hope my sister misses that one. She's gone back to grad school by some JW miracle, hopefully she won't drop out after that freakoid convention. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

You know they can't have educated people that can actually think for themselves at the KH. They might actually question the teachings and cause a mutiny. Besides, someone has to take over all the janitorial and window cleaning businesses before long.

shelley

• Es
    Es

yeah apparently the drama at this years convention is bout college and how young ones should really be pionerring. es

• blondie
    blondie

College is okay if you can regular pioneer, go to all the meetings, live at home and attend college at the same time. I have see young JWs do i it for the last 40 years in this old university town.

Blondie

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Is College now wrong for Jehovah's Witnesses again?

No - it's just not right - so if you go it's your fault for not doing something 'important' - and if you don't go it'll be your own fault for not going, because they didn't say you couldn't - ah, such is the unburdened life in the "true christian congregation"

• jomac
    jomac

Watchtower leaders had put in an article that it was okay to go to college for appearances sake for outside persons such as judges to read (ex. in child custody cases to make a JW parent's religion appear more reasonable and hence palatable) but that they did not really mean what they said was shown when immediately most Circuit Overseers blasted against it from the platform in the halls. (Not all but most all) Part of theocratic warfare strategy to fool "Watchtower's enemies."

Similarly Watchtower leaders put in writing that voting was okay in order to fool government officials in other nations such as in East Europe that they actually felt regular Jehovah's Witness members could vote but from platform talks the Circuit Overseers showed the Watchtower Society was actually against it. This tactic of lying to "enemies" got them acceptance, meaning legal recognition as an entity entitled to tax breaks, I believe also in Germany and may yet in other lands such as Austria, if it hasn't already there too.

Regular members and government officials find it hard to believe any organization calling itself Christian lies and misleads. Such is the nature of a cult. The Aryan Nations extremists and maybe one other religous group does this type of tactic. I think Randy Watters could tell you which other group does so.

Also, there has been some striving among JW leaders at the top in Brooklyn as to which course to take on some things, that is to be more "progressive" or to continue to simply appear progressive while in fact leaving things to hardliners led by Ted Jaracz of the Governing Body who oppose reforms. Jaracz has been alleged a child molester going back to when he was a District Overseer in Los Angeles.

He likes to use Theocratic Warfare tactics and Watchtower's Service Department uses this too and especially since Ray Franz was booted out for wanting reforms in the early 1980s. Say one thing, do another. Whatever it takes to advance The Kingdom Of God On Earth. Theocratic warfare tactics can also help keep Teddy's ilk out of prison, indeed do so everyday.

• blondie
    blondie

Leaving the WTS, is learning to make your own decisions and take responsibility for them. Wanting the good approval of other people is a strong motivation for most people. It is scary to take charge of your own life, no one to blame but yourself (mostly).

I saw so many people doing things in the WTS to please other people, everyone but the people they siad they were trying to please, God and Christ.

So those who skipped college because the WTS said it was bad, it isn't too late to go. It's only too late when you're dead.

Blondie

• 9thWonder
    9thWonder

It depends on the day of the week... I've seen it go from "you must not seek higher education...it's a waste precious time that should be spent in the ministry...the time left is too short to pursue anything less important than the ministry." to "if you are able to pursue the pioneer work, you are encouraged to do so...however, it is understood that these days more is needed than a high school diploma, so it is o.k. to take up a trade or to pursue a two-year degree, but keep the pioneer spirit."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit