Is College now wrong for Jehovah's Witnesses again?

by booker-t 47 Replies latest jw friends

• tdogg
    tdogg

GRRRRRR....I am still bitter and I hate them for this...the rest I have let go of....cant even discuss it without mind clouding anger welling up...

• greendawn
    greendawn

They can't give up dishing out that end of times story even 10 years after that last generation change. Still those kids must see no point in uni education because the end is round the corner as it had been in the 1990's, 1980's, 1970's 1960's and so on. They don't want people to wake up through a good education.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

It has never been ok for dubs to go to college, they publishe articals that some may need higher ed. to find jobs, this consisted of trade schools and just enough credits to get a job to support service.

They have never publicly or privatly said it was good to go to college, They do not out and out say that you can not, but discurage it as much as possible. They usually use the look at sister brother so and so, they are pionering and if you love hovha, you should take note of their example.

I know of several people that have went to college and had to keep it under the table to keep from getting the look of "You should be puting your time in to something to support the preaching work" gaze.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Dan I'm surprised they just didn't take you out back and stone you to death.....after all, we know that Jesus didn't have a beard."

Mary, I was stoned frequently in the early 80s.

• zagor
    zagor

My girlfriend just made a great comment – β€œit is rather interesting they never restrict JW going into business even though in many instances they'd be many times over more engaged (time-wise) than would they ever by just going to college.” Go figure.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Zagor, the comment earlier in this thread was dead-on accurate: the Dub leadership doesn't like college education because college students are encouraged to question and to think independently. And that was one of the things I was warned about 20+ years ago ... that college might 'turn me away from da troof'.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

It was said before, but I'll say it again.... It has always been "wrong" for JWs to go to college.

It doesn't matter what the WT said, the 'brothers' from the stage were always against it. If you went anyway, you were pulled into the back room and we even got a special shepherding call because of my decision.

I will say, the brothers in the congregation where I went to school were GREAT! No judgement what so ever, but the Elders in my hall were not happy at all.

CountryGuy

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings:

The drama not withstanding, the cows are now out of the barn and it is too late to shut the door again. Most JW kids that are so inclined will ignore any future cautions and short of an all out bar they will continue to enroll in trade schools and universities.

-Eduardo

• potleg
    potleg

It's all a control issue. The borg doesn't want anyone to question or think for themselves. Questioners and thinkers are troublemakers in their eyes. They need to isolate people to keep their grip tight and that means cutting them off from others who may have ideas that they can't refute.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is indeed a control issue and they are really persistent about it, what would be better for them than to get those kids to pioneer rather than go to college? Instead of having potential dissenters they have more free labour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit