Is College now wrong for Jehovah's Witnesses again?

by booker-t 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Vestigia
    Vestigia

Incredible! Of all thee nonsense I once believed this was the one thing that was ultimately the most damaging. I finally went to college when I was in my thirties, now I am on the verge on finishing a MBA; but my parents declined to attend my first graduation. I am constantly talking college to counteract the alternative messsages they get from the rest of my family (who are all deep inside). However, the leadership is correct, as I began to become a better critical thinker I began to entertain my doubts and research JW theology

• freedom96
    freedom96

I suppose too many people in the last 10 years went to college and got smart and left the organization.

This is pisses me off.

Just when my still active son is getting ready to think about his future, and going to college. Even his active mother is encouraging it, though she wants him to go so she can still get the child support.

Just when his is considering it, then he will go to the convention in a couple of weeks, and hear this crap.

I did tell him though, that if anyone tells him not to go to college, first figure out if they are going to pay his bills, and when he realizes that no, they won't, then ignore them and go anyways.

This is a wicked religion, destroying the education of thousands of children, and destroying untold families. And somewhere, somehow along the line someone things this is good???

When will people wake up and realize that this man made organization is hurting much more than they are helping?

Oh thats right, college encourages thought, and thinking for oneself.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I suppose too many people in the last 10 years went to college and got smart and left the organization.

This is pisses me off.

Just when my still active son is getting ready to think about his future, and going to college. Even his active mother is encouraging it, though she wants him to go so she can still get the child support.

Just when his is considering it, then he will go to the convention in a couple of weeks, and hear this crap.

I did tell him though, that if anyone tells him not to go to college, first figure out if they are going to pay his bills, and when he realizes that no, they won't, then ignore them and go anyways.

This is a wicked religion, destroying the education of thousands of children, and destroying untold families. And somewhere, somehow along the line someone things this is good???

When will people wake up and realize that this man made organization is hurting much more than they are helping?

Oh thats right, college encourages thought, and thinking for oneself.

• TemperateWarrior
    TemperateWarrior

When I was at Bethel, this brother named Paul Heller made the comment:

"Hey, if you wanna go to Bethel, don't pioneer. Go to college, become a doctor or a lawyer, get married and have kids, then bring your WHOLE FAMILY!"

Although I didn't give it much thought at the time, I realised he had a good point. There was at least one family, the McCabes, (sp?) where the father was a lawer and he had a wife and 2-3 kids. They were at the Bossert hotel in a very nice room.

I guess when the skills are needed by the society, a higher education is OK. Just don't aspire to get one!

-TW

• JT
    JT

Although I didn't give it much thought at the time, I realised he had a good point. There was at least one family, the McCabes, (sp?) where the father was a lawer and he had a wife and 2-3 kids. They were at the Bossert hotel in a very nice room.

$$$$

do you recall the black doctor who had his whole family there, like 3 girls- they lived in a brown stone we fixed up for them, it is worth over 1million dollars

• blondie
    blondie

Was his last name Ferguson?

• metatron_jr
    metatron_jr

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I think the main reason higher education is discouraged is that it ensures the existence of a group of people struggling to make ends meet and in desperate need of assistance, specifically assistance in the form of promises of a imminent paradise that can only come from following the society.

People who are struggling and stressed out are also much easier to convince of how terrible the world is, while people who have decided to focus instead on their own goals, families, and future are able to live happy and fulfilling lives despite all of the problems in this world.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    do you recall the black doctor who had his whole family there, like 3 girls- they lived in a brown stone we fixed up for them, it is worth over 1million dollars
    Yes I do... I know someone who dated one of the daughters. Very pretty, light skin, at least one worked at Bethel in the bindery!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit