Is College now wrong for Jehovah's Witnesses again?

by booker-t 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

" If you went to college back in the 80' s you were "marked" and stripped of your position in the KH."

Are you kidding? My "priviledges" were stripped away when I stopped shaving and had some fuzz on my chin in 1980 or 1981. And then when I moved away from home to go to college, most of the folks at the Kingdumb Hall stopped talking to me altogether. That was 1982. Within a few months, I said the hell with it all & quit going to meetings altogether.

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

I am surprised reading and writing are not also discouraged,can t have the masses to educated. I to was a child of the great "further education is satanic" thought of the 80-90s, and yes it is a little sad, but i do run cleaning company to, shame I m not using it to advance kingdom intrests isnt it! Thanks WTBTS. Just F**K up another generation while you can hey?

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

You are right about this year's drama.

The basic plot (if you can call it that) is that Timothy chooses to accompany Paul on his missionary work, whilst his friend (a fictious non-Bible character as these drama love creating) goes off to Athens for high education and to make his way in the world.

It the same old message - the Society still has a big downer on further education - you should be out there pioneering.

Eyeslic

• melmoth
    melmoth

I went to college right after high school, in the early '80s. It was not a huge problem, though I commuted to one in the area rather than moving away for it - so i guess it didn't seem as though I was being set loose in 'the world.' That was more or less the compromise: I could go, but only locally. I still have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, I got my degree (BA) and that's made a huge difference for me - so it certainly could have been worse, had my parents been more diehard and obedient of the WS's 'guidelines' or 'suggestions.' College as I recall wasn't forbidden, just discouraged. On the other hand, I could have easily gotten into a much better school than where I ended up but didn't get that opportunity. Of course, the WS warned that college often led to independent thinking that could lead one astray. Turns out they got that one right. Thankfully.

• jula71
    jula71

And it all depends where the congregation is. I lived in a big college town, where half the hall is students. So of course it's ok, as long as it's in it's "proper place". The other halls, it's a "conscience matter" which is code for it's your choice but you what the right answer is.

• damselfly
    damselfly

My parent's assembly was in mid June, I think. When she called me last week it was to tell me that my brother was going back to university to finish up his degree. He had done a full time work co-op program after completing his first two years of the program. My parents encouraged him to go to school as they didn't want to have him struggle thru life like they did. As far as I know there has been no problems with the elders in the hall.

Crossing my fingers he doesn't run into problems and finishes his degree.

• zagor
    zagor

Aha, yeah, it is really close just as it was in 1945.

Either that or maybe because it is easier to control idiots.

• Mary
    Mary
    Yes evidently they are denouncing higher education again. Some people here have been to this years District Conventions and the drama is aimed at the evils of higher education and this theme is reoccurent throughout the entire 3 day program.

Ya, well they can kiss my Norwegian olaf arse, I'm getting my BA. Like others here, I'm doing it 20 years later than what I should have, thanks to the assholes at Columbia Heights trying to turn everyone in to either a Stepford Wife or a Cheese and Cracker Bro..........I know plenty of young ones in the Borg who are openly going to university and if people don't like it, they don't care.

• Mary
    Mary
    Dan-O said: Are you kidding? My "priviledges" were stripped away when I stopped shaving and had some fuzz on my chin in 1980 or 1981

Dan I'm surprised they just didn't take you out back and stone you to death.....after all, we know that Jesus didn't have a beard.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

This topic has been covered on this forun many times before but I guess it still needs to be covered for those of us who are new to all this.

Yes, they are again denouncing higher education. Another hypocritical stance!Out of one side of their mouth they are saying "get it" and out of the other side they are saying "don't get it". They make disingenuous statements about this topic.

They have NO ACCOUNTABILITY for whatever happens to anybody who believes them and follows what they say! They will not be paying your bills either. They have no programs for the elderly, no retirement plans. You are on your own. They also must feel that money grows on trees because, after all, how do we get money? We work, right? If you have less education, you are usually employed in a lesser job. A lesser job means less money, right? (If they had brains they would realize that means less money in the contribution box).

For any JW lurkers here: unless you are the child of wealthy parents or have a dad who will set you up in a business, you better think long and hard about the consequences of not getting your education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit