What does your name MEAN?

by RichieRich 170 Replies latest jw friends

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

El Jarocho Mayor

EL=The....

Jarocho=people that are from the Mexican state of Veracruz are referred to as "jarochos". Like Hoosiers are from Indiana or Sooners from Oklahoma.

Mayor=Greatest

El Jarocho Mayor= The Greatest Jarocho

• kls
    kls

Kls is my initials,Kathy ,Lynn, S******. Not very exciting but i didn't know i would be staying Surprise!

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

nuff said

• mouthy
    mouthy

Why did you pick your name?

Well Mouthy says it all...But Grace in the WT means UNDESERVED KINDNESS!!!

Gran!!!! that you all call me I AM LOVED!!!!!!!!Thanks ((((((HUG)))

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

CountryGirl gave me the online moniker, "Frannie Banannie, Queen of Franistan." Ask her I used to use a Chiquita Banana cartoon avatar.

My real first name is Noel (fem) and is mostly equated with Christmas, however I did read somewhere a long time ago that it means joy. My middle name is Frances and it means FREE. Nuff said.

Frannie

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Frances and it means FREE.

I thought Frances came from "France." Which is why St. Francis was named so, b/c his father liked France (in Italian, Francesco).

• luna2
    luna2

Mine is the short form of a s/n I've used for about six years: lunapara

When I was fading from the borg back a few years ago, I got involved with an online community of fans of a particular musical group. Between my unhappiness with the JW life and the weirdness of getting to know all these "worldly" people, as well as doing the fan-thing (which I'd never, ever, even in my non-JW growing-up years participated in), I thought I was losing my mind....hence the luna part. Apara means: one who comes and goes. ::shrugs:: It seemed to fit and I liked the idea that I could break it apart or add to it to come up with variations easily if I needed to.

My real first name, Jeanne, is the feminine form of John which is: English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious".

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    I thought Frances came from "France." Which is why St. Francis was named so, b/c his father liked France (in Italian, Francesco).

Actually classicist, the word "France" itself may mean 'land of the free man' and may have in turn been derived from the Proto-Germanic (Teutonic) word for 'free man', *frank. There is much confusion among linguists as to whether the Frankish word for "free" was derived from the ethnic name of the germanic tribe of the Franks who conquered Gaul from the Romans, or the other way around. The two concepts of freemanship and Frankish ethnicity became confused and intertwined because at that time, from the 5th to the 9th century, only the Francks had the status of "free man". Our English word "frank" meaning "honest" may also have been derived from this Germanic root and passed down to us through the Old French word "franc" meaning "free, noble, true". Another popular etymological theory is that the word comes from the Proto-Germanic word for 'spear' or 'javelin', *frankon, but this is less widely accepted. Interestingly the word "frankinsence" was derived from the Old French words franc "noble, true, high quality" and " encens" meaning "sweet-smelling substance"... which was in turn derived from Classical Latin " incendere" which literally meant "something burnt or set on fire" (think of it as "in cinders"). You've set me off now. Phonology, etymology and other aspects of linguistics can keep me talking for hours...

• Jourles
    Jourles

As most people know, Joules is an electrical term. In all my brilliance, I decided to break up a perfectly normal word and make it basically impossible to pronounce by adding the letter "R."

I've heard people try to pronounce it as Jor'-els and jour-lay("jour," as in soup du jour). If you ever meet me and are wondering how to say it, just use use the electrical term's pronunciation --- jewls.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Actually classicist, the word "France" inself may mean 'land of the free man' and may have in turn been derived from the Proto-Germanic (Teutonic) word for 'free man', *frank. There is much confusion among linguists as to whether the Frankish word for "free" was derived from the ethnic name of the germanic tribe of the Franks, or the other way around. The concept became confused and intertwined because at that time, from the 5th to the 9th century, only the Francks had the status of "free man".

Cool. Thx. for the info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit