What does your name MEAN?

by RichieRich 170 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i chose my name as a salute to the theory of evolution which was the catalyst that changed my life and got me out of the cult i was born into.

it is also a salute to my distant common ancestor, the first four legged creature to breathe air and walk on four limbs. and what is family? not the JWs!:

A tetrapod (Greek tetrapoda, "four-legged") is a vertebrate animal having four feet, legs or leglike appendages. Since amphibians, reptiles, dinosaurs and mammals are all tetrapods, and even birds and snakes are tetrapods by descent, the term is only really useful in describing the earliest tetrapods, which radiated from the Sarcopterygii, or "lobe-finned" fishes, into air-breathing amphibians in the Devonian period.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrapod

and sapien because the transformation from drone cult member to rational human being, is a characteristic of human, or homo sapien. the ability to use ones brain for more than just simple survival, but for problem solving with intelligence. from wikipedia again:

Sapience is the ability of an organism or entity to act with intelligence. Sapience is synonymous with some usages of the term sentient, though the two are not exactly equal: sentience is the ability to sense or feel, while sapience is the ability to think about sensations, feelings and ideas. In usage, sentience and sapience both imply some form or state of consciousness,

and i put a "." between the two words to join them. my favorite programming language does this, and i thought it was a fitting joiner of the two because it was computer science that got me thinking logically about not just computers, but about everything. it was programming that led me to science. programming was the only contact with honest logic that i had as a wit. and so the final joining of the two words is an acceptance of my biological roots which changed my worldview, and the procession of that with intelligence.

tetrapod.sapien

oh, and my real name, joshua, means "mountain man and warrior of jehovah", which is now only true in the former sense and not the later.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I think I've said this before. But....After I was disfellowshipped for the third time, my parents would have absolutely nothing to do with me and I had two children to support on my own. Sooo...I starting stripping at a bar. My first name is Lisa, my stage name was Vegas, and 420 is my address....

Lisa

• RichieRich
  • DocHayes
    DocHayes

DocHayes...

Well lets break the word down... "Doc". I'm a Corpsman in the Navy assigned to United States Marine Corps units... For the most part I'm integrated with the Marines, I wear cammies, pack some serious firepower, my hair is high and tight, cuss and fight like the best of 'em... the only thing that seperates me from them is my cammies say "US Navy", and they call me "Doc". Marines call all Corpsmen Doc's. It's a high honor bestowed to all Hospital Corpsman who are assigned to the "Green"side of the Navy, otherwise on the blue side (Navy side) you are just another HM (Corpsman) giving out shots.

Second word... Hayes... my last name.

I used it because I'm not creative enough to come up with another name. On top of that I'm a Firefighter and Paramedic out in the world.

• KenUK
    KenUK

That'll do me

Anglicized form of both COINNEACH and CINÁED. This name was borne by the Scottish king Kenneth (Cináed) mac Alpin, who united the Scots and Picts in the 9th century.

COINNEACH
    Usage: Scottish
    Extra Info: Related Names
    Options: Contribute Information, Add to List
    Possibly means "handsome" from Gaelic. It is often Anglicized as Kenneth.
  • Insomniac
    Insomniac

Insomniac means just what you'd think it does: I have a really hard time getting to sleep.

My given name means "consecrated to God." Two middle names, one being the name of a flower I can't abide the smell of, the other one meaning "good voice." My surname means "of the valley." My nickname that people in town call me is a shortened form of one version of my first name that's more easily pronounced by some than my first name- Beta.

Wish I had an interesting story behind any of my names, but I don't.

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, Lisa,,, I like your address ... hehe,,,

t

• poppers
    poppers

Hey DocHayes, I just want to thank you for what you are doing. I am a former Marine who was attached to a hospital company back in 1970-72. I've got the greatest respect for all of you 'docs' out there, whether or not you are on active duty or not. Thanks again, you're the best! Cpl. 'poppers'

• Panda
    Panda

I know another sister no-more who got into stripping as an occupation. I don't think there's anything bad about that... but then I think prostitution should be legal and protected by a union (or something). I am not equating stripping with prostitution so no comments on that, ok.

Panda is a Panda either the Red Panda (photo is currently posted); or the more commonly known Giant Panda (whose photo I used to use).

Therese means reaper of the harvest or reaper of wisdom. I like the harvest because in cattle country beef is a harvest (sort've). It is pronounced like the French Therese (thanks Mom for making it hard to say); however it has the Greek and French meaning not the Latin and German meaning.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

My real name is John, but when I signed up I wasn't sure what this place was like and didn't want to use it. I am known as Rolof almost every other place I frequent on the net, but I wanted something different here. (Rolof is a name I made up for my D&D character who is a Dwarf many years ago; when I first started using the net I was too lame to come up with something else.)

My current name comes from the fact that I was trying to come up with something that was actually relevant to the subject matter here...and failing. Watchtower kept coming up on the screen in a lot of posts though, and it suddenly occurred to me to use the Jimi Hendrix song title because of the words 'There must be some kind of way out of here'. Which is my goal; to find a way out of JWs for my wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit