The best reasonable, rational, intelligent discussion on religion I've ever seen

by TerryWalstrom 303 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Comparing something open to interpretation and unprovable to math, which is a closed fact that is not open to interpretation, is a logical fallacy. 

Pretending the repeatedly plain language and multitudes of commands to kill and rape aren't reality is dishonest.

and I won't even pay the rest of your post the courtesy of being read if we are resorting to such faulty reasonings. 

No one is forcing you to deny reality and obvious facts and admit you're open to domestic violence.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

@viv

Comparing something open to interpretation and unprovable to math, which is a closed fact that is not open to interpretation, is a logical fallacy. 

Pretending the repeatedly plain language and multitudes of commands to kill and rape aren't reality is dishonest.

You're seriously being a huge hypocrite here. Just a few pages back you were harping on me for supposedly telling people why they think and feel things, and saying only I have the proper understanding of what the books are saying, even though I never said that... 

But here you are ACTUALLY saying what you accused me of, and saying all who disagree with you are dishonest! Lol wonderful. I feel like maybe you're entire account on this forum exists for satire, that would make sense. I can never tell satire from seriousness.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

we should point fingers at the real reasons for these things. And that isn't a book, it's just really bad people who want to cause pain. That's all. They don't even need a reason for it - head-in-the-sand nonsense. There're not just really bad people; they're really bad Muslims. And they have a reason for it - their interpretation of the Quran plays a big role in what they say and do. You don't see really bad Hindus or Christians joining ISIS.

Throwing the blame on the book (at least in part) has nothing to do with attacking random Muslims like that shooting by the American guy.

What he did was terrible - I hope he gets locked away forever. 

• cofty
    cofty

The millions of Muslims who can actually read the quran in their own language are in a better position to understand the words of the child-rapist better than you JD.

It is in those lands that we find the greatest amount of violence, intolerance, misogyny and oppression. Why?

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    their interpretation of the Quran

So the issue is NOT the book, but how they are interpreting it. This is precisely my point. Lay the blame on the ones interpreting it this way, not the thing being interpreted.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Jonathan Drake - you have a point, the Islamists should get the blame for their own actions.

But surely the Quran shares a little of the blame? I mean, if the Quran said: 'be peaceful, love your enemies and killing is wrong' then the Muslim extremists would be very, very peaceful. The violence and killing in the Quran must take some blame, even if it's a tiny amount. Needless to say, this is not an attack on all Muslims.  

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    But surely the Quran shares a little of the blame? I mean, if the Quran said: 'be peaceful, love your enemies and killing is wrong' then the Muslim extremists would be very, very peaceful.

Yes, it needs to be modernize and clarified so that the real meaning is clear. I agree with this, part of the problem is lack of the perspective tha would provide the right understsnding.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    It is in those lands that we find the greatest amount of violence, intolerance, misogyny and oppression. Why?

this is just not the case. There are at most only 50,000 members of ISIS. 

in America alone:

There were an estimated 1,163,146 violent crimes reported to law enforcement last year

http://www.crimeinamerica.net/crime-rates-united-states/

Just because there is a high concentration of these crimes in ISIS, does not mean they outnumber the rest of the world in such crimes. 

• Viviane
    Viviane
    You're seriously being a huge hypocrite here. Just a few pages back you were harping on me for supposedly telling people why they think and feel things, and saying only I have the proper understanding of what the books are saying, even though I never said that... 
    But here you are ACTUALLY saying what you accused me of, and saying all who disagree with you are dishonest! Lol wonderful. I feel like maybe you're entire account on this forum exists for satire, that would make sense. I can never tell satire from seriousness.

You are claiming other Christians are wrong, the Bible and Koran do command murder, genocide, rape, abortion and slavery and 2+2 DOES = 5. 

Perhaps the issue is that satire, logical and fallacy don't mean what you think they do.

• Viviane
    Viviane
     Lay the blame on the ones interpreting it this way, not the thing being interpreted.

The thing being interpreted clearly commands rape, murder, slavery, abortion, genocide, theft and murder. It is a deplorable thing. There is no moral defense for this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit