What do you feel when you see groups of Jehovah's Witnesses on the street?

by nicolaou 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

I wave if I know them; they wave back since I'm not being shunned, yet.

Actually, I haven't seen many, known or unknown to me, going door to door. Certainly, none at my door or in my neighborhood.

The word gets back to me that many congregations are not working their territories at least once a year as is unofficially mandated by the WTS. To fool the CO, some cover their territories by putting old magazines in the door (without knocking) and then turn it in as worked.

Blondie

Nausea.

• amarantha
    amarantha

I feel a little sick to my stomach, anxious, angry, scared (not sure why). I have to bite my tongue and hold myself to an "I'm not interested". I just try to remember that 10 years ago that could have been me. And that most of them probably just feel stuck in the system the way I did.

In the neighborhood I live in in NY, I've started seeing lots of groups out street witnessing now that the weather is nice. I can always spot them a block away. However, I have NEVER seen any of them actually approach anyone. They stand in a group, talking to each other, or just staring at the street, sometimes just sitting on a bench, usually holding a magazine in their hands, but they just watch you walk by. I have seen them in the subway doing the same thing. It just confirms for me that most of them are just "doing time". I saw some wandering around my local park, they finally DID approach some moms at the playground, including me. I gave a VERY polite "not interested" . Inside I was fuming. I've gotten to the point where I feel safe and insulated from them here. Strange as the HQs are just a borough away, but in 4 years of living here, only in the past few months have I really run into any. Nothing makes me feel as trapped and cornered as seeing them on my doorstep. And it was all I could do not to go over to the woman at the park who had taken an Awake from them, and tell her that she didn't want to read that brainwashing trash. I was very conflicted about it, but people have to make their own choices.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I feel overwhelming pity for them, and I shun them! Id hate to have to speak to them - the ones I know anyway, because I would feel sorry for them having to make up polite conversation with me. I just cant be arsed.

Ritchie - what on earth is that photo of? It looks like the back door of a prison. Jeeezus!

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Usually I feel pity them. But it depends on my mood.

DL76

• prophecor
  • chris1525
    chris1525

I think nice suit.. or at least will be in 10 years when it comes back into fashion. But I said that 10 years ago and they haven't come into fashion yet??? Have they got their fashion cycle all mixed up?

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

stomach gets in knots, sometimes I have flashbacks of being one of those kids being drug around in exteme heat......

My kids answered the door once when the elders came to do a shepherdung and told them, "My mom can't come to the door she is giving the baby titty." They came later and my husband unknowingly told them the same thing........ Oh well I thought that was funny.......They never came back tho

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

You know, wifey and I have discussed this sometimes - When we were 'in' we thought we were part of a 'locust-like group', everywhere being seen and heard, making those that failed to listen all the more responsible for their own deaths when the big A hit!

Now - from the outside of the borg we see that very little activity really goes on by that group - I have not seen a witness out in door to door work since the last time I sat in a boring car-group myself [about two years back now]. No one ever works our street, except the Mormons. I never even see a car-group pass me on the road - and I know all the local witnesses. No one I work with says anything about them. In short the world is just not abuzz with awareness of them and the great message they think they bear to the world.

The unfortunate truth is that it is just a little-known group of fanatics - and if I had not been one most of my life, I doubt I would know they existed for the most part. I feel the entire range of emotions mentioned - but mostly I feel great sadness for the mind-meld they are held in.

Jeff

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

what Trevor said...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit