What is it that makes posters leave?

by Es 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It would be nice if everytime someone with something unique to contribute could be recognized and included in some way so that the whole group is enriched, but it's kind of hard to find such a group anywhere. Frankly it could just be that the group isn't really interested, and on it goes.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Well maybe, sometimes it's just a matter of saying what's on your mind, and then moving on. No big mystery, necessarily!

Rod P.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Well maybe, sometimes it's just a matter of saying what's on your mind, and then moving on. No big mystery, necessarily!

Rod P.

• scotsman
    scotsman

The constant rehash of some topics eventually takes its toll. Same subjects, different hotheads.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

ive always thought that someone making a big annoucement that they are leaving is more a cry for attention..and then so is posting our stories...and asking permission to rant...or telling everyone that we're having a bad day/week/month/life...or blatantly asking for some attention...or subtlely asking for same

ultimately whether on a board or in amongst a real live group of friends we tend to talk about similar subjects quite often and agree/disagree/fall out/make up on a regular basis

i am in the bracket of still finding this forum new and exciting and fun and to be honest i have a great deal more time on my hands since not going to meetings/fs/study

but i think i would quietly tell everyone if i was never going to post here again..because i have previously spoken about my mental health and suicidal tendancies so wouldnt want anyone to be worried about my whereabouts should i leave and not say...i dont think its egotistical to feel that there would be some who would be concerned if i should go m.i.a. as there are constantly posts seeking the whereabouts of someone who hasnt been seen for a while..(when i was lurking here someone announced that they had had enough..goodbye...and everyone rallied around to make sure he wasnt ending his life...he wasnt but never did find out what his reasons were)

so i guess whatever the reason people have for seeking attention...we should all do our best to accomadate it...it could well be us in the future

ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There are a wide range of reasons for people leaving of their own accord, and I'll throw a few more into the pot:

• Some didn't get closure leaving the JWs, and feel that leaving here is tantamount to the same thing, so they make a fanfare about it.
    • Some are "all-or-nothing" people, who seem unable to graze other sites for other interests, or to leave some threads alone.
    • Some burn out emotionally, instead of taking a needed break (as I think Outlaw suggested).
    • Some get sick of the intolerance that some display towards their new choices, especially of a spiritual nature.

Ironically, on that last count, I've had more correspondance on that from non-Christians than Christians, in case you're wondering - and it's increasing!

• FairMind
    FairMind

I guess I got bored of the same ol same ol

I felt like this place had an atmosphere of too much cynicism and sarcasm.

Sometimes I feel the same way. This forum is a lot of fun and Most (but not all) of what is posted here I don’t take too seriously. I’m always scanning the posts though for something that I can connect with. Sometimes leaving for a while and then coming back makes it fresh again.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

As far as "same-old same-old" goes........I do see the need for it. For anyone coming in for a landing as a Newbie, they have lots of questions and haven't seen the previous years worth of topics.

I've never had any success with the search option on here (but that's typical for me) so I'd find it hard to look for anything that isn't fairly current. I'd imagine Newbies wouldn't know where to begin. So repetition is necessary I'd guess.

Sometimes sarcasm has the right place on this board. I've howled with laughter at some of the wonderfully funny and sarcastic remarks (all in fun naturally) that I have read here!

At times there are heated debates, as they are called, that give ones a chance to air there gripes. It's refreshing to be able to have an opinion and not worry what the WTS thinks! When things get TOO nasty, the mods send the posters back to their respective corners to let them cool down.

For those that choose to leave---they know that the rest of us won't shun them the next time we see a post from them if they change their mind.

Annie

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

(((SkallyWagger))).....OUTLAW

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Here's my theory:

There are lots of xjw discussion boards on the internet. They each have their own flavor, or personality. I have accounts on a couple of the others, but this is my usual hangout, because it suits me, generally. However, perhaps I want to talk about something more controversial than is generally accepted on JWD; in that case, I'll go to a board where it's more appropriately discussed. My guess is that, over time, people may simply gravitate toward sites that are a better fit for their personalities. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure some have drifted over here after being shocked at the language and pictures at some of those other sites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit