Where Is The Ultimate Truth Found?

by JamesThomas 71 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

James, what "tools" does a person have to develope or learn to use to go exploring themselves? I realize that even if I ask this question in a meaningful way, that it has potential to be way off base.

When we learn to read, we need to learn the alphabet that we will be using, even though we likely already speak or are learning to speak the language. So I guess I'm asking, what alphabet do you use?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Yes James, how does a person develop or learn this stuff?

BTW, have you seen Zeida lately? I saw her recently but I didn't really talk to her, actually I'd forgotten her name. If you do say hi to her for me will ya?

• JW83
    JW83

It's not about spending a lifetime "tuning in", or becoming one with the One. We already are It. There is nowhere to go, nothing to evolve to, nothing to become, nothing to earn or acquire. It's just about seeing and realizing what is here ALREADY.

Hmm, I like that JT. Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems - if we just accepted the fact that we are here, & make the best of our short lives & common world. For myself, a realisation that Nature (capitalised!) and circular time is more valid than God and linear time has led to great peace. We live, we die, our offspring live and die - life goes on, & we are all a small part of 'LIFE' while we exist.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The Tao Te Ching.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

*picks up the TTC and reads:* "The tao that can be told is not the true Tao."

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The Way that can be experienced is not true;
    The world that can be constructed is not real.
    The Way manifests all that happens and may happen;
    The world represents all that exists and may exist.

To experience without abstraction is to sense the world;
    To experience with abstraction is to know the world.
    These two experiences are indistinguishable;
    Their construction differs but their effect is the same.

Beyond the gate of experience flows the Way,
    Which is ever greater and more subtle than the world.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

JamesThomas,

All mans inhumanity to man is due to identifying with, supporting and protecting our relative "truths". This creates a conceptual "self" which detaches and divides "me" from all others. Now the door is open, the rational in place, that allows me to kill and harm others. Religions and other social constructs support and reinforce our cherished individual fragility and tininess. Even our god is made into another shard of existence that reflects our own likeness.

I have already shut my mouth on this thread, as I fear I have already been a distraction.

Steve

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Be Happy.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Be Happy.

Could you elaborate please? Happiness is relative and I've got some pretty messed-up relatives ! ( Sorry, it just came to me as I was typing.)

What makes me happy, may make somebody else very sad. I realize that "we" can't live our lives around doing what "everybody else" wants, but we have to consider their feelings if we wish to keep the peace, so to speak.

Babies can and do demand their own way---but as they mature, they discover that to "get along with others", they have to make compromises. Therein lies both the dilemma and the solution.

Having said that----we then are placed in the position of "not" doing what we really would like---and back to square one we go! Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say here?

Be Happy.

Then again.............if you weren't serious when you posted this....I'll do my Emily LaTella imitation and just say..........

Never mind.

Annie

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

What makes me happy, may make somebody else very sad. I realize that "we" can't live our lives around doing what "everybody else" wants, but we have to consider their feelings if we wish to keep the peace, so to speak.

Babies can and do demand their own way---but as they mature, they discover that to "get along with others", they have to make compromises. Therein lies both the dilemma and the solution.

I would suggest the answer lies in the difference of being happy and making "me" happy. It's also the difference between happiness identied as an emotional state, or any state, and that same me identified as whatever personality structure etc - and not. Of course, when you are fully identified as a person the latter will make no sense, or just sound reasonable. Here it is appropriate to distinguish between a state of bliss and happiness. With happiness as only an emotional experience, there is really no comparison.

As far as things like family dynamics and such, there is no conflict if you want to see them "happy" too. But this of course couldn't be their idea of happiness, (or yours actually) which may be you being a JW or whatever, but it does take them into consideration with their freedom. (such as it is, however they use it) At the same time you don't give up yours, just as you don't do everything the baby demands.

Why are you unhappy?
    Because 99.9 per cent
    Of everything you think,
    And of everything you do,
    Is for yourself -
    And there isn't one.

-Wei Wu Wei

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit