Where Is The Ultimate Truth Found?

by JamesThomas 71 Replies latest jw friends

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    To abandon the outward journey of religion and scripture, is often the very first step on the fruitful journey to our Divine nature - within.

Exactly. Many people are too fearful to accept the possibility that this life is it...after which there will be no thought...there will be no hereafter...there will be nothing.

It's a shame that so many people throughout the millennia had to die for what I see as a meaningless cause. What further good could these people have done for mankind? In what state would the world currently be if Christianity had never existed?

I see the religion as nothing more than suffocating shackles, created by man as a means of control.

Maybe I misunderstood your first post, but this is my take on things.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Isn't it interesting that all these people think they know what you're talking about James? Well, it makes for nice seques I guess..

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL @ Six.

It seems to me that neither the fish nor the sea need "Truth," "Ultimate" or not; for they happen not to use words, capitalised or not.

And that makes a big difference.

There is no such thing as "simple truth", for any "truth" is at least a Trinity implying: (1) an "adequate" word; (2) a "thing" to which the word is adequate; (3) a principle, rule, or function of "adequacy". Of course this trinity casts its devil shadow without which it is meaningless: the possibility of lie -- wrong word, wrong thing, inadequacy.

As I stand on the edge of being and language I cannot be simple.

Isn't it interesting that all these people think they know what you're talking about James? Well, it makes for nice seques I guess..
    Reading this, I felt glad not to be a mystic after all...
  • katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im a mathematics teacher. I think the only real truth that can be found is in maths. (I think science is pretty close, but is subject to more hypotheses. Maths is just pure clean bright light - in my opinion!)

I think there are other absolute objective truths, e.g. either we are reincarnated when we die or we are not - but I dont think we will ever be able to find out those truths.

I guess its the guessing that makes life so interesting, and the fact that some people are able to talk about their different ideas without feeling the need to shun those who dont share them.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I actually agree with JT - at the end of the day if you put everything aside - your true nature will come out & that's truth whether your nature is good/bad (define these as you see fit) you are true to you.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Do not despair, for we are free to remain children of a lesser god if we are too afraid to look beyond it. Perhaps another day.

OUCH!

Are you peeking inside my head??? This---and your concept---is scary! I am referring to a small discussion between me and Brenda on Ian's thread.....where I commented on what she and Merry had written. It started me on a thinking spree (hubby says these are dangerous to me, LOL) and what I've quoted here says it all. Amazing how that works, huh?

I have things I need to think out but yet I'm a bit (okay---a LOT) afraid to pursue certain aspects of what intrigues me for fear of finding myself flung down into a deeper hole than I was for 30 years in the WTS. THAT'S scary enough right there...to keep me from straying into what might be "oddball" beliefs. Have I learned NOTHING after that excursion into the underworld?

MY "truth" right now---is that I've returned to a more traditional belief system, and have learned to read scripture for encouragement and not as a prescribed reading regimen set up by what I consider the Antichrist, or at least workers for Satan.

I am quite comfortable with what I believe in---and who I am at present. I see more in the bible that pertains to me (and the WTS) than I ever did as a JW. I went through a period of not trusting much of anything after I left the WTS. It feels good to be able to put those feelings away and touch base with things I had previuosly put faith in before it was destroyed, and with more depth now.

But every now and again, I get these flare-ups of "what ifs" and something will very much interest me---yet I am reluctant to delve any further into these interests.

I realize I am free to do so, but sometimes freedom of this nature carries such a heavy responsibility.

Hopefully this will not come across as raving, or like someone who's cheese fell off the cracker----but this IS coming from the heart, and it IS scary to contemplate. Funny how I can come here and spill all this---but can't "talk" to anyone I know about it, face to face.

I often wonder if anyone else feels the same.

Annie..........of the "I can't believe I just said that" class

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

After all analyisis is over....WE are our own truth...You are your own reality. NO one knows what you know or what you feel.

Truth is within each of us...the trick is working up the guts to face it..........

~Hill

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I have posted this before but it fits here..

The ancient (Indian)Vedic scholars quickly figured that there is no god just us, so came the obvious question, "who am I?"

After a process of repeating the question at each conclusion, peeling back the layers they realised that we are just a mass of other peoples experiences(parents etc), so who we really are, are the bits in between!!

They believed that once a person achieved this state of understanding they could resume a "normal" life, but now could access their true self at will.

They also didn't believe in a hereafter...

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

The mental gymnastics are all well and good and I enjoy them as much as the next, but at the end of the day, I just want to be.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Annie - do you care to elaborate on some of those "'what ifs'"?

(funny you mentioned cheese, there is a book called "who moved my cheese" - a south african writer - rather quirkey book)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit