A question for my UK cousins: What are the different British accents?

by Check_Your_Premises 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I wonder if you mean "the good life"?

Fleaman,

I just asked hubby and he says it was definetly "Good Neighbors". Tom and Barbara were the main characters.

Hubby said that a lot of British shows change their names when they are shown in the US, so that might be the case here. It ran in the late 70's or thereabouts, and I have seen it still recently listed in the TV section, but not on any stations that we get from here.

Annie

• scotsman
    scotsman

Annie

It was the Good Life here and you're right, it's a classic. Barbara was rear-of-the-year if I recall correctly. Wierdly the two couples are just like my brothers and their wives.

Tij

sex - normally contain coal don't they?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks Scots~

Hubby was right!

I'm glad someone else recognized this show as being exceptionally funny!

Annie

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

DanTheMan - Chap and Wench are Black Country - and I don't think ANYONE has mentioned The Black Country!! Anyone ever see Aynuk and Ali? Tommy Mundon?.....

Birmingham accents are very distinctive too (nasal). Personally I love Welsh accents.

• susej
    susej

I am welsh and thankyou our accents are best appreciated in the singing tones

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I love The Good Life!

I wanted to be Felicity Kendal (the cute one in overalls mucking the pigs out). They all spoke pretty posh moind, even the ones who werent supposed to be posh.

Watch "Bread" for liverpewl accent (and check out the size of Joeys mobile phone, its as big as a housebrick)

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Stewie was trying to teach the English girl to talk more proper.

"The loif of the woif was ended by the knoif." (it doesn't come out well in print).

Out of curiousity, what region of England puts an 'er' at the end of words that end with an 'a'? I'm cool with all accents, but hearing someone say Americer is like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

This whole thread is very illuminating. I, for one, can tell that a person's British, but I'd have the heck of a time identifying a specific region. All's I c'n say's, ye fellas sure do talk some pretty ower theyah. (To be read with a thick as puddin Downeaster accent.)

Lately, I've been having fun at my shop, listening to all the summer tourists who are currently flooding my town. I make a little game of trying (privately) to guess their home state, and then I ask them where they're visiting from, to see if I was close. I'm getting pretty good at it. Then, of course, my friends and I put on outrageously incomprehensible coastal Maine accents whenever a tourist asks for directions- it's so cool watching people from Massachusetts trying to decipher our language!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I loved watching ''Rab C Nesbitt'' (so funny), but always had to have the subtitles on as I could never understand ONE word. Be great if it was repeated......

• Englishman
    Englishman

Try this for an English accent!

The perfect English accent.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit