A question for my UK cousins: What are the different British accents?

by Check_Your_Premises 79 Replies latest jw friends

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

As an experiment- get the following accent'd people to say the following phrases-

Scottish- 'Murder' or 'Burger'

London- 'Pie'

Liverpool- 'They do tho, dont they, tho?'

and my favourite....

Newcastle/Geordie- 'Kawasaki Photocopier'

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

My accent is very borderline between Bolton and Wigan (or Wiggin as it is sometimes called) although it is more broad if I am with family or close friends locally. For those not familiar with Wigan or Bolton they are in Lancashire (if I can say that because apparently there some dispute as to whether it is Lancashire they belong to or Greater Manchester.)

Whichever whatever.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofenglish/storysofar/series3.shtml

I think you can hear British accents on this website.

Blondie

• Englishman
    Englishman
    My accent is Boltonian

Hey! I was born in Farnworth! Spent my early life in Bradford Road and went to school in Plodder lane.Oh and yes..I did go to Burnden Park once.

Then moved to London, Yeovil, Weston super Mare, Portsmouth, Telford, then back to Weston super Mare.

Englishman.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

You might have to help me out with the Liver-puddli-an sentence. I guess I just try to use the Beatles when I want to see what one of those are.

I am clueless on this one. Is there any famous folks that have this accent? Can you spell this phonetically?

Newcastle/Geordie- 'Kawasaki Photocopier'

What is Micheal Cain. He sounds cockney but there is some regional variation there I think. And Sean Connery... what the hell is the deal with him pronouncing all his "s" sounds as "sh" sounds. Is that some local Scot lingo or is that just because he has had a few to many "shaken not shtirred".

Ok, here is an idea. Name a bunch of famous UK types, and classify their accents. I think that should clear it up for me.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Ok, here is an idea. Name a bunch of famous UK types, and classify their accents. I think that should clear it up for me.

David Beckham=estuary/essex

Bob Hoskins=cockney/London

jane Leeves (frazier)oop North Mancunian (ish)

Noddy Holder=midlands (Wolverhampton me duck)

Ricky Gervais=slight west Country..Reading i believe.

.....trying to think of more

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Ok. Let me clarify.

How about trying to think of some famous UK types that a redneck, hillbilly, not particularly bright, and proudly-ignorant-of-the-rest-of-the-world Yank like me has actually heard of?

You know... Winston Churchill, Michael Pallin, John Cleese, Maggie Thatcher, Tony Blair, that Super-Nanny lady, Mick Jagger, Hugh Grant, Roger Moore, Michael Cain, that bitchy Weakest Link lady...

And how about Yanks or Canucks who do English accents in movies? What about Mike Meyers many Scottish accent performances. Are they accurate, what type? What about Robin Williams "Mrs. Doubtfire", was that one accurate. What type is that?

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

C Y P

I refuse to believe youve never heard of David Beckham!!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

CYP - Fleaman was picking the most famous current exports from the UK to the US! Otherwise we're stuck!

I just wanted to say that Tijkmo has a brilliant accent - very scottish and precise.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Hey! I was born in Farnworth! Spent my early life in Bradford Road and went to school in Plodder lane.Oh and yes..I did go to Burnden Park once

Englishman...what a small world...I was a member of Farnworth and Great Lever Golfclub (on plodder lane)...although cant play and went back to fishing...and that being so was at Melches pond/lake fishing a few weeks back....

I ve been in Bolton General Hospital more times than i care to mention too but least said about that the better.

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit