A question for my UK cousins: What are the different British accents?

by Check_Your_Premises 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I probably have. He sounds familiar. I spend a lot of time under rocks. I have also been in baby-prison for quite awhile.

Help me out. Where would I know him from?

• scotsman
    scotsman

CYP

These famous people don't have regional accents.

Crumpet, what do you mean, he sounds as rough as f*ck! (apart from when he's a kinsey 4 mood)

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    apart from when he's a kinsey 4 mood

"...a people seperated by a common language"

• scotsman
    scotsman

The Kinsey scale of sexuality (hetero 1 to homo 6) is a recurring theme between tijkmo and me. It's English and it's from the States.

And the reason I say he sounds rough is because there's a good natured rivalry between our cities.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    CYP - Fleaman was picking the most famous current exports from the UK to the US! Otherwise we're stuck!

Maybe I am exposing just how painfully dumb I truly am. Picture a bag full of hammers.

Thanks for trying to expand my horizons.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Winston Churchill, Michael Pallin, John Cleese, Maggie Thatcher, Tony Blair, Hugh Grant, Roger Moore, that bitchy Weakest Link lady

All these I'd classify as well educated accent, pretty much regionless, more depending on the kind of social class you belong to. Try to speak like you've got a plum in your mouth, and another one up yer arse.

Mick Jagger, Michael Cain, more London-brackets-common.

ig.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I will defend Tij's dulcet tones right to your the hilt scotsman!

CYP - what you're going to have to do is jump on a plane and come to a UK aposta thingummydoodle and listen to us all.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

You know I just thought of something I heard once. One of the going theories that tries to explain why everyone thinks Americans are dumb (apart from the fact that we are actually quite dumb), is that we just aren't afraid to ask dumb questions.

Apparantly in a lot of cultures, people are afraid of asking questions because they are more afraid of looking dumb than most Yanks.

Maybe this is an example of that theory.

Or maybe I just am really that stupid.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    CYP - what you're going to have to do is jump on a plane and come to a UK aposta thingummydoodle and listen to us all.

Crumpy,

Only if you put back that avatar of you smoking a cigarette... sorry "fag". I love that picture.

• Pole
    Pole

UK accents have been studied and classified by phoneticians for over 100 years now. Here is a good book to begin with:

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/accents.htm (It covers world-wide English, but includes a few British ones too - a good starting point though to put British accents into perspective)

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit