A question for my UK cousins: What are the different British accents?

by Check_Your_Premises 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Next you'll be telling me he's prone to dodgey fashion statements too!!!!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    You guys are so bad

I know, isn't it awful. I really wasn't trying to be either. I haven't been a skirt-chaser of any merit for quite some time. It is just always there, whether we like it or not.

I won't say sorry, cuz I know you are a good sport, and took it the right way.

(When I say "merit" I am referring to effort, not accomplishment)

...and maybe you could put the tooth brush picture back up until you get the new ones in my honor.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

me and toothbrush pic duly reinserted - Tij said that I was frankly not looking my best here, but then he saw some nicer ones...

CYP - all your comments are taken in good humour - I enjoy reading your posts and comments both the serious ones that demonstrate the enormous depth of your love for you wife and your adoptive and natural children and the funny ones.

crumpet hugs x

• avishai
    avishai
    All these I'd classify as well educated accent, pretty much regionless, more depending on the kind of social class you belong to. Try to speak like you've got a plum in your mouth, and another one up yer arse

Being an actor and having had to replicate some of these accents on stage you actually learn where some of these come from in the mouth. For instance for the above accent, your voice comes from the front of your mouth, whereas a scots burr comes from back in the throat. Interesting stuff. You can order dialect tapes on ebay for pretty cheap sometimes and get pretty good at it if you have an ear for it. Oh, yeah, and way too much time on your hands.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

hey guys im just in and saw the accent question and thought i would post about it but would read through first and lo..you been discussing it all afternoon

to english people my accent is scottish

to scottish it is english

to australian it is new zealand

and so on

to everyone it is hard to place

this is because its is a mixture of all the places i have lived..england wales scotland

but for some reason i find people like my voice...

go figure..i hate it..(well hate as in love less..but then who does like their own voice)

i think i sound metrosexual

but public speaking and singing have gotten me used to both hearing my voice and the importance of enunciation

now go pick on someone else you phonetophobics

ive got irn bru to swally

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Oh Crumpy... now that you have put that picture up I figured out the other reason I had such a subliminal affinity for it.

I am not going to point it out myself. I know I am completely disturbed. I want to prove a point here that I am not alone.

I invite all the other guys reading this thread to point out what it is about that picture, besides the fact that she has something in her mouth, that would make a guy think inappropriate thoughts about our dear sweet Crumpy.

I bet someone has it within five guesses.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

What was this thread supposed to be about?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Oh yeah, back on topic.

This is another one that got me thinking of this lately.

The movie Trainspotting.

What were those guys. I know they were Scots, but what region. I really liked the scene where the one guy was on speed during the job interview.

• scotsman
    scotsman

You mean Spud? They should have all had Edinburgh accents and while there was some evidence of it, they weren't too precise. The Mother Superior (drug dealer) had a Glaswegian accent, as did Begbie and Renton's girlfriend.

You may like to know that Trainspotting is set in the territory of my old congregation and yes it is a drug and aids addled community.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I invite all the other guys reading this thread to point out what it is about that picture, besides the fact that she has something in her mouth, that would make a guy think inappropriate thoughts about our dear sweet Crumpy.

As a photographer, you know that people tilt their heads down to make their eyes more appealing.

Also, The picture is taken from ahigher vantage point, making her look weak, humble, willing.

Plus- it aint just her head in there!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit