A question for my UK cousins: What are the different British accents?

by Check_Your_Premises 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

and we have a winner.

Scotsman gets a cookie.

I knew the male species wouldn't let me down.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There have been linguistic atlases of Britain which plot the isoglosses of multiple dialect features on a map, so that you can see rather precisely where the different dialects lie....

In such things, the dialects tend to change from town to town. For instance, if you go from Paris, France, down to Santiago, Spain, you can hear the dialect change ever so slightly from town to town so that Parisian French ends up being Spanish at the end of your journey. There are no hard-and-fast borders between the two languages.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Good thread!

I live in the North West of England and there are big differences in accent between towns just a few miles apart. A town near me, about 4 miles away, have a VERY strong accent which is very funny. They actually use "Thee" and "Thy" although the "Thy" is shortened to "Thi" (i as in mint). They also have some funny phrases, which combined with the accent make them impossible to understand unless you're a local.

So my gran, who lives there, often says things like:

Si Thi (again the short i) = I'll see you = meaning goodbye

I wuz lowfin mi eeballs out = I was laughing my eyeballs out = I was laughing a lot

Put wud in'th hole = put the wood in the hole = close the door

or reet? = are you all right?

thy's a rumun = you are a rum one = you are cheeky or naughty (sometimes applied to criminal types)

Whereas in the town I live in, we tend to use mi instead of me, and we omit the T's on the end of words. So "isn't it?" becomes "inni". Also we don't use the word "the" very much. We substitute "th" a soft th sound for "the". So "the end" becomes "th' end" . We even have a pub called "Bird in th'hand" (and the sign is spelled that way LOL). When we talk about whats on Tv we say "whaz ont' elly?"

LOL

I'm familiar with the glasgow accent because my hubs family are from that area. It is a very very strong scottish accent - nothing like Sean Connery - his accent is very mild in comparison. They use phrases like "hoose" instead of house, "wain" for child, (or bairn - pronounced burn for child), a sandwich is called a "piece", crying is "greet'n" etc.

Sirona

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

here is an example of the glasgow/edinburgh divide that big girls blouse was talkin about earlier...

will post it as soon i as i can work out how

see below

and below that

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    We even have a pub called "Bird in th'hand"

I thought that pub had closed down and reopened as something else...I remember the Bird in th'hand well...a scene of many a debauched night...heheh

Other Lancashire sayings:

A towd im but hi wud't lissen. (I told him but he wouldnt listen to me)

Supwidee? (what is wrong with you?).

DB74

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

move on ...nothing to see here

• City Fan
    City Fan

Ast goh' ert moist?

Ast bin on t'internet?

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    I am clueless on this one. Is there any famous folks that have this accent? Can you spell this phonetically?

Newcastle/Geordie- 'Kawasaki Photocopier'

There is no good way for me to explain in writing what my accent sounds like. I wonder which famous Geordie you might have heard of? Jimmy Nail? Sting? The problem is, I suspect they couldn't get really famous with such an accent, they would have to curb it so severely (ie talk a bit posh) to become internationally famous. Often people from 100 miles away do not understand a strong Newcastle dialect.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Mines a modified yorkshire accent. Where I live they speak much slower, like they are a bit dim, but its nice. They say 'mind' at the end of every sentence (pronounced 'moind') as in a shop - 'that'll be three pound fifty moind'.

I love accents - my favourite is the Geordie accent, and a Scottish accent (Edinburgh, not Glasgow, im afraid). I love a good irish brogue (Dublin not Belfast), and I rather like the liverpewl accent.

I really dont like my own yorkshire accent, I like the Manchester one better, dont like a brummie accent at all, or a Welsh one. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Diamondblue,

I don't think that pub is shut, but then again, its a while since I was there.... honest

City Fan LOL @ your phrases!

What about the phrase used around here -

affuh = I have to e.g. I affuh go out

goffuh = I must (literal translation is I got to)

baaht (like the baa of a sheep) = without as in "baaht kids" meaning "without children"

tha knows = you know or you know what I mean

Sirona (pronounced seh - rown - uh)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit