Movies that were supposed to be good but you thought they sucked....

by DanTheMan 60 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Bladerunner - Lots of rain...big Coca-Cola ad on the side of a building...more rain...punk rocker chick...what is this movie about again?

Finding Neverland - Blech. You're sooo pretty Johnny.

Pulp Fiction - Hit men discussing what McDonalds Quarter Pounders are called in France. Huh? Oh right Quentin, that's so cool and hilarious!

But, the grand-stinker, the ultimate atrocity of a movie, the very memory of wasting $2 to rent it and 2 hours of my time to watch it making me angry - Kill Bill vol 1. Absolutely the stooopidest ever.

Dan, in a cynical mood :)

Please stay on topic by listing movies that were critically acclaimed or got a lot of hype from your friends or family, Scooby-Doo the Movie doesn't count.

• zev
    zev

how about one that i heard sucked, but when i watched it i thought it was ok?

AVP

aliens verses predators

everyone said, it sucked, but dang, it was pretty cool, imho.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

White Noise was one that we didn't care for.

House of Wax was so bad that we didn't finish watching it.

• talesin
    talesin

1900, by Bertolucci

What a boring piece of trash! It's supposed to be his masterpiece, I think not. I'm not a big fan of Italian films, but he has done much better work than this project.

Dan

I am so with you on Pulp Fiction ... it literally made me puke ...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

zev, I didn't see that one...

Sunspot, regarding White Noise, you shoulda checked the reviews - 9% on the tomato-meter (a meter based on the number of good or bad reviews a movie gets) is about as low as they come, even Hilary Duff stinkers have done better :

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_noise/

Talesin, I think that all the critical acclaim Terentino films get is simple peer-pressure among critics. That's the only way I can make any sense of it :)

I have quite a few more for this list, but I'll see if it goes anywhere first. Right now, I'll add 21 Grams. Sean Penn and Naomi Watts? How bad could it be? Very.

• avishai
    avishai

If you want to see a good tarantino flick, watch one written by him, but directed by Tony Scott. True romance is awsome. One of the best flicks ever, IMO.

• talesin
    talesin

Dan, I have bookmarked that site, thanks. I've seen it before, but had forgotten about it.

Avi, that was a pretty good flick. It wasn't too long ago that I watched it, simply because Tarantino was attached to it in a major way, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Apolalypse Now ,,, bored me to tears, I have really tried to get into it, but ... the making of the flick, "heart of darkness" I think, by his wife, is much better. :)

t

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Avi, I may give that movie a shot, but I got burned bad by Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, so forgive me if I'm a little leery...

Talesin, I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time recently, I actually liked it pretty well, seemed ahead of it's time considering that it was made in the late 70's. I've got to get around to reading Heart of Darkness.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The Matrix II and III.

steve

• Robdar
    Robdar

"The Piano" starring Holly Hunter

*yawn*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit