Movies that were supposed to be good but you thought they sucked....

by DanTheMan 60 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I'll second the American Beauty vote above. Man, that was the worst movie I think I've ever seen. I saw it because of the hype and was SOOO let down.

But then again, I'm one to really enjoy happy ending movies. American Beauty wasn't it.

Andi, you are so much on my wave length. I feel exactly the same way. My kids warn me about movies that don't end happily, and advise me to not see them. American Beauty was grueling and horrible.

I also HATED The English Patient. I cannot believe I actually sat through it. I think I was hoping it would get better but it never did.

I also have not been able to endure a Woody Allen movie. I guess I just don't get it.

Same with the Lord of the Rings movies. I must be too old.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

That movie with Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep, see it was so bad I can't remember the title. The other guy in it, got best supporting actor, dont know his name.

they were looking for this flower, and cage would masterbate in it, and well, it was just weird,

purps

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Wow, what a diverse set of opinions. So many great films trashed. LOL.

American Beauty is a stupendously great film. However, there isn't one positive female character in the movie so I can see why women would dislike it.

As to Woody Allen films, I dislike most of them, but Crimes & Misdemeanors is a really good movie on morality and religion.

I enjoyed all the Matrix films once I understood what the hell was going on in them. Had to read a guide on the Internet to understand them.

Quentin Tarrentino ... hit and miss with me. His script for the movie True Romance is brilliant in my opinion. Loved Pulp Fiction. Disliked the Kill Bill's.

But I am the kind of the guy who can enjoy Citizen Kane as well as American Pie 2. LOL

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Here is my contribution to the list of unfortunate experiences at the cinems, [ mind you, they tell me I am hard to please]

Phantom of The Opera, {recent version)

Cold Mountain,

Somethings Gotta Give

Star Wars- Phantom Menace

The Last Samarai

Shrek

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I liked Pulp Fiction, I liked the original Matrix, I liked Master & Commander.

Did not like Gladiator, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and the Village.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Dan, I saw this thread and had to mention, I had blocked this memory, but it's come rushing back, oh-so-horribly, this morning ... that scene oh, can I bear the vivid picture in my mind ... Oprah NOOOOO!!

Beloved !

lol ...

Never saw it...did she show her boobies or something? Yeah, that sounds scary.

I thought American Beauty was just ok...the scene with Spacey and his daughter's friend - ew, ew, ew

Lord of the Rings - so freaking over-acted, gawd. Couldn't stand them. I guess I'm not a fan of the "classical" acting method, I much prefer the realist American style.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The Last Samurai... I really would have enjoyed that movie if it wasn't a remake of Dances with Wolves. They should have called it Dances With Samurai.

Disillusioned US Army man meets new enlightened group of people

Joins new group of people and sees their way of living is better

Helps protect that group from an attacking enemy

Falls in love with a chick from that group

End film with protagonist risking his life to defend group's way of life

Sheesh. It was a paint by number movie.

• talesin
    talesin

'Dude. Like I said, a 'sacred cow'. A dislike of CK does not necessarily imply a dislike or ignorance of 'artistic' films ... lol

By its very nature art is subjective ... to me, Citizen Kane is a snore, yet I found Red, White and Blue, and Breaking the Waves, riveting. Haven't caught AP2, it's not really high on my list ... though AP1 was surprisingly watchable. Not as funny as that one with the Diaz chic and Ben Stiller (comedic genius begat of 2 frickin' amazing comics), Something about Mary (?) ...

Dan,

No , she projectile pees! Looks like a frickin' water fountain.

I'm not kidding, and it is ... well, 'nuff said!

Trust me on this one, peeps, read the book ...

t

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Talesin,

I think the so-called classics in film were because they were groundbreaking films for their time. That can be meaningless to current film-lovers because whatever was groundbreaking for those old great movies has been copied to death and in many cases been improved upon.

I saw Breaking the Waves. I liked it, especially the wedding sequence.

Haven't seen Red or its sequels, although I've heard good things about them. I like foreign films. I saw the French film A Very Long Engagement over last Christmas and enjoyed it very much.

So many movies, so little time.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
    This has to be the all-time worse movie I have ever watched, complete with a couple of false endings.
    It went on, and on, and on....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit