Sam's watch

by Slidin Fast 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I agree with what some have already pointed out - whether it's fake or real doesn't really matter (although there is something off about a religious leader wearing a $20k watch) but it really doesn't fit with the bible message of avoiding a showy display of your wealth.

It also demonstrates that they think that is important or, at least, they aren't aware that it may be wiser to wear something simpler.

However, if you look at TV evangelism in general many of them often have luxury items, expensive suits and gold jewellery etc... It seems like it may be a subliminal thing where people perceive wealth as being equated with success and "right".

Given the focus the WT is now putting on slick and carefully orchestrated media presentations I would be surprised if someone hadn't thought about their watches and rings and decided it's better to have them than something that makes them possible appear less successful and less wealthy.

Remember, it's all about donations. People are often more willing to hand over money to rich people and don't think "hey, maybe they're rich because of my donations?!"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The re-branding Company thought it was a good idea, to look like a successful business man.

These people are about as far from the true Mendicant as they can get.

There is simply no need in this day and age for anyone to wear a Watch, the time is displayed all around us, and on our Mobile devices, it is simply an item of jewellery, and therefore of personal pride. As are the rings they wear.

Mind you, it won't be long before the R&F will be lining up to kiss the GB's rings, they do so metaphorically already. In both senses of kissing a "ring".

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Ok, I'm calling it - INVICTA.  If you look closely at the (2) comparison photos above, look at the bracelet end link where it meets the watch, and compare with the photo of Nerd's.  The Rolex is not only solid, but the first middle link extends out past the case lugs to meet the next link in the series.  The Invicta's end link is flush with the case lugs, and the first link is seen "bending" with the bracelet.  Sam's photo matches the Invicta bracelet.  Something else to ponder:  The dial is not silver like the Rolex Serti, it's gold.  Also, the Rolex Serti has sapphire hour indicators on the dial at 12, 6, & 9, and these would be seen in a photo.  Sam's does not.....all fake diamond hour indicators. 

I'm calling Invicta on this, and so hence about a $250.00 watch at MOST.  Can't call that overly "flashy", and I it's not a fake either.   

• MissFit
    MissFit

It might not be fake or worth 20 grand but it still is flashy and distracting. My eyes kept going to it when he was talking.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Wing Commander I think you have nailed it.
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    Personally I think there are bigger iisues to pick with the GB than what watches they wear. 
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Yea in watching that horrific crap last night i gave a lot of attention to the watch and its defintaly invicta.  I actually respect herd a little for that since i like some of their watches ;) of course that respect in negated because its not mechanical and its fake gold tone which is the height of pretentious and phony 'oh look at me-ness' ..... But i definatly concluded its the invicta.

My favorite invicta, one i wear only on special  occasions:

It had an eta/valjoux 7750 automatic movment.  Awesome weight and look...

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Would there be an Invicta submarine r if there was not a Rolex of similar shape?  In other words if you buy one you are hankering for the other.
  • Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    His watch definitely has a blue V at the 12 o'clock. 
  • Simon
    Simon
    My favorite invicta, one i wear only on special  occasions

What? It's not even digital - it's got hands and clockwork happening. May as well wear a sundial*

C'mon people, how can that be better than a watch that has a calculator, a little teeny-weeny light and a GAME?!?!

Random piece of watch trivia: you can use an analog watch as a compass - think about it ... sun, time ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit