If you won the Lottery big time, would you be happier?

by Rod P 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD BE HAPPIER OR NOT, BUT MY BANK AND THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES SURE WOULD!

IF I HAD ANYTHING LEFT OVER I COULD SEND IT TO THE SOCIETY FOR THE WORK! (YEAH, RIGHT)

OUTASERVICE

PS I COULD START OUT BY JUST ASKING EVERYONE THIS BOARD TO SEND ME JUST $5.OO. THAT WOULD HELP!

• donald
    donald

OH HELL YES....id make sure my kids had everyting the needed...donald

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Happiness is an inside job.

Now, winning the big one would certainly make a few things in life easier. It could also complicate things.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I think I would be happier.

But I would not like the fact that the leeches would crawl out of the woodwork looking for handouts. Why, even the dubs would come crawling around! Even the stuck up ones who didn't say hello would find a reason to seek me out!

• minimus
    minimus

YUP

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It would make me happier in the sense that it would allow me to devote more of my time to doing things that I want to do, such as traveling and finishing my education. These are things I feel that I missed out on by being a JW, and having a sudden large cash infusion that would release me from the need to work at a regular job would allow me to devote my remaining years to things that are important to me. My job is simply a paycheck. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't need the money. I could be doing work that would be much more meaningful to me if I had a better education, and the JW experience is responsible for my lack in that area. So winning the big bucks really would go a long way toward making up for some of the "lost years".

• Rod P
    Rod P

Nicholas,

That was very well put.

If we have never won big before, how many of can say we know ourselves enough to know for sure if we would be the same person after we won that we were before we won.

When a gold rush is on, and all the people stampede in to find their fortunes, history tells us that "Gold" changes people. The greed comes out, and we witness the worst of human nature. In the case of lotteries, however, it is not the rush to find gold, but rather the luck of the draw. Once we win, we may discover things about ourselves that we did not know we were capable of. We may suddenly find ourselves in position we had never been before, such as people coming you for advice, and everyone looking up to you as though you really know something, as though Wealth = Wisdom. (I am reminded of Fiddler on the Roof, and the song "If I Were a Rich Man")

Still others believe that when you become wealthy, you become MORE of what you already are, because you lose your inhibitions. Kind of reminiscent of when we get drunk, and all the inhibitions are dropped, and the real personality underneath is revealed (eg. Mean and Argumentative vs. Jovial and Generous to a fault- "A round for the house!"

In Canada we are not taxed on Lottery Winnings, known as Windfalls.If you win $25 Million, it is all tax free. The Lottery Corporation did some research on the lives of a number of winners. They found out that winning all that money did not lead to happiness in most cases. Many were prudent, and just invested it for retirement.For some, they became extremely unhappy and miserable. They had to put up with the media, and all those "worthwhile causes" and real estate salesmen, and other salespeople, and on and on and on. They suddenly found themselves with a whole lot of best friends and buddies they didn't know before, who had all kinds of appeals and expectations, and it was all so relentless. One guy on the news told his story about winning a million, and rued the day he did. He went to the bars and bought beer for the whole bar on many a night. Boy he must have been popular! He also bought a trailer park. Then he ran out of money, and had to mortgage the trailer park. Then he spent all that, and now had a problem with the mortgage, and had to sell everything off. In the end, he was as broke as before he won the lottery. I guess water will find its own level. There are many, many stories like that.

What if you just won enough to take care of all your present problems and needs (including that of your family), and you used it to clean everything up. Now you have a clean slate, but could get on with your life the way it is now, without injecting Wealth into your lifestyle? Do you think that would be better than winning the Big One?

Rod P.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

A wise woman once said:

"Money isn't everything, but it ranks right up there with oxygen."

DY

• delilah
    delilah

isn't there a rap artist who sings "money can't buy me happiness, but i can buy what i want, get high when i want"? it would definitely be a good thing, .....i have a list as long as my arm filled with those who would benefit from my winning the big one. the other list, of those who would not benefit, is short and sweet.

Dee

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Yes sireeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! No debts. But probably have to go into hiding. (Oh yeah...don't do the lottery. Dang).

Cathy L. "I may be crazy but I'm not stupid"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit