What "religion" type do you follow?

by FreedomFrog 54 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:I like to suggest god is She/He/It/They.... S.H.I.T.

Oh my God that was way too funny!! WTF!

GBL

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Unorthodox Christian.

Most orthodox Christianity has consigned the "mystical" to the past, else is so preoccupied with it that they give up their rational mind.

I prefer an eclectic middle-ground

• IT Support
    IT Support

I'm on this Agnosticism / Atheism mailing list and was reading about this the other day:

Once it is understood that atheism is merely the absence of belief in any gods, it becomes evident that agnosticism is not, as many assume, a ?third way? between atheism and theism. The presence of a belief in a god and the absence of a belief in a god exhaust all of the possibilities. Agnosticism is not about belief in god but about knowledge ? it was coined originally to describe the position of a person who could not claim to know for sure if any gods exist or not.

Thus, it is clear that agnosticism is compatible with both theism and atheism. A person can believe in a god (theism) without claiming to know for sure if that god exists; the result is agnostic theism. On the other hand, a person can disbelieve in gods (atheism) without claiming to know for sure that no gods can or do exist; the result is agnostic atheism.

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/atheism.htm

So I guess that makes me an agnostic atheist.

• Carmel
    Carmel

After ten years postJW, I investigated many of the Christian demoninations as well as Islam, Budhism, and various ethnic religions. They all had a common theme of not seeing any of the others as authentic, much like the exclusivity of the JWs. I eventually was introduced to the Baha'i Faith and became one. Now I can and do accept all the religions, the divine origin of them complete with all their warts and shortcomings. If a tree is rotten, it doesn't mean it didn't have a brilliant emergence and fruitful youth and adulthood. All religions decline and become different than their origin. Like waves on the shore, they play our their magnificance then crash and dissappear as a spent force. They each have to be re-newed and like it or not, they are "organized". Now if it (religion) becomes a force for division and control, it is no longer fit for humanity and like Jesus said the tree that does not bear fruit is fit for the fire.

Carmel

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I guess that "for me to fit in" is not the proper phrase because I don't care whether I fit in or not over my beliefs with someone else's...I guess the more appropriate phrase would be "for me to "fit" into me". I believe what I believe but don't know yet what I do believe in just....huh?!?!?! (my brain is spinning as well Whoa )

Let me try to clarify. <sigh>

I believe that there is some sort of powerful being/s out there. But not "sure" what, yet, or if I'll ever find it out in this life. I believe that we will have some sort of after life mainly because that's what I have to believe for me to be happy. Purely emotional reasoning I know. I don't believe that the bible is by the "Divine Higher Powers" (about 99.9% sure on this) but still my mind can change on this with enough "evidence". And you'd have to be pretty damn convincing for me to believe it is. I think that "once saved always saved" is full of crap.

So where do I fall at? I'm a nobody.

I was asked if I was a "Christian"...I had to say no. Am I agnostic...I don't think I fit into this catagory either...That's why all these questions. I'm trying to figure out what *I*...ME.."Gina" believes in.

Off onto the other subject:

I have a pic of her here: http://www.network-innovation.net/images/bird.jpg

Walter

What a beautiful little girl. Congratulations! They are so wonderful...aren't they? I love my TOOs

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

You know little froggie...I have such a feeling in my heart that my beloved father, who passed away 21 years ago this June, is somewhere looking over me. It is a very real feeling to me. I wasn't supposed to believe that as a JW, but I really think perhaps there is something for us when we leave this earthly life. I'm not sure what it is. But I always picture my dad somwhere playing golf and watching his beloved packers and it makes me feel peaceful. Especially after losing the rest of my family when we left. He wasn't a JW. He would have NEVER shunned me.

Cathy L.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

hadenuf said:

He would have NEVER shunned me.

Cathy L.

Yeah, from what I can remember grandpa K. was great, I wish I was able to get to know him better, but I was so young and lived so far away when he passed. The memories I do have though are fond ones.

-April

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am Christian, and attend a non-denominational church.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

you can find out where you fit in by completing an online test at

http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

My own religious beliefs are as follows

- there is a supreme creator which has created every living thing on the planet to have unique talents and qualities

- He has given us 3 commands for succesful living there are
    1) Know yourself and figure out what talents are unique
    2) Hone these talents to the best of your ability
    3) Find a way to share them for the benifit of mankind.

- These commands are instictivly programmed into us at birth.

- Breaking these commands are a sin punishable by dysfunction and failure

- The only afterlife is the legacy you leave behind when you die. Literal re-incarnation or resurection doesn't exist

- Prayer is not a communication with God, but a meditation on the very nature of our creation and purpose

• love11
    love11

Why do you need a label on who you are?

It's ok to be a mix of whatever you want to be. If you feel comfortable in the christian religion then go with that. Go with whatever feeds your soul and makes you happy. In the end, that's all everybody wants to do, live a happy, healthy, good life. So don't stress out about picking what one fits you. My Sunday morning- watching cartoons with the kids and going back to bed with my husband for a "nap". That makes me happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit