What "religion" type do you follow?

by FreedomFrog 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I'm a believer in Christ and my hope is in him. While I attend a Wesleyan Church, I am not inclined to formally join nor do I accept all their teachings. Many of the people are very kind, loving, and helpful. At the same time are not judgemental either.

Outaservice

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    you can find out where you fit in by completing an online test at

http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

Here's my results...

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
    2. Mahayana Buddhism (94%)
    3. Hinduism (87%)
    4. Jainism (80%)
    5. New Age (80%)
    6. Sikhism (73%)
    7. Reform Judaism (70%)
    8. Theravada Buddhism (70%)
    9. New Thought (67%)
    10. Unitarian Universalism (67%)
    11. Orthodox Judaism (63%)
    12. Scientology (61%)
    13. Liberal Quakers (57%)
    14. Bahá'í Faith (54%)
    15. Islam (54%)
    16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (48%)
    17. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (47%)
    18. Taoism (44%)
    19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (36%)
    20. Orthodox Quaker (36%)
    21. Secular Humanism (36%)
    22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (28%)
    23. Nontheist (26%)
    24. Eastern Orthodox (23%)
    25. Jehovah's Witness (23%)
    26. Roman Catholic (23%)
    27. Seventh Day Adventist (23%)

That was fun...but I'm a skeptic and don't put my faith in this test. But it does give me a list to do more research on.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I believe that there is some sort of powerful being/s out there. But not "sure" what, yet, or if I'll ever find it out in this life. I believe that we will have some sort of after life mainly because that's what I have to believe for me to be happy. Purely emotional reasoning I know. I don't believe that the bible is by the "Divine Higher Powers" (about 99.9% sure on this) but still my mind can change on this with enough "evidence". And you'd have to be pretty damn convincing for me to believe it is. I think that "once saved always saved" is full of crap.

it really sounds to me that right now, if you must catogorize yourself, you sound most like an agnostic (edit: or agnostic/Deist). which is fine! it is probably the most neutral position you can take! from there, there is no shame in becoming a christian or a hindu or staying agnostic. it is a good neutral place to be in order to look out at other belief systems and evaluate them objectively, and yes, even subjectively. in the mean time you can read more about the scientific method, and about theological related subjects like the historicity of the bible or other holy books. you'll do fine. a lot of us have been where you are. just remember, always try to be respectful of others and their worldviews. if an organization steps over that boundary with you, then you should seriously consider being skeptical about what they have to say.

i know, it's a lonely position to be in, especially when you you are just starting the main part of your search. just try to remain logical about it all, and you will find your niche.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

I BELIEVE IN THE SAME RELIGION AS MASON JENNINGS OBVIOUSLY DOES, WHEN HE SINGS "DRINKING AS RELIGION"

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I am an Atheist. This does not mean that I have no sense of morality, ethics or how I fit in the world. I observe the Objectivist philosophy. All that humans need to be healthy and happy can be logically deduced by our own minds.

• jaffacake
  • jaffacake
    jaffacake

I honestly didn't fix the result. Look what came bottom of the pile - I'm on the right board then HaHa

• delilah
    delilah

I agree with Hadenuf... I think your father is with you. My father-in-law passed 3 years ago, and a few weeks later, as I stood washing dishes, something lifted my hair up at the back, and jingled the dog tags on the leash that were hanging on the wall behind me. As I turned to make sure that THAT was what I heard, my father-in-law's name came to me instantaneously, and I just felt that he was reassuring me he was ok and was with us. He had German Shepherds and they were the loves of his life, we have a boxer, so I thought it was natural that he would jingle the dog tags to let me know he was there. The Jdubs teach that "I probably have a demon in my home", but I don't subscribe to that view any more. I'm not a religious person anymore, other than I do believe there is a kind and loving God; but I don't believe in organized religion. I think there is good in all, but we just have to figure it out for ourselves, find out what floats our boat....

Dee

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I am an Atheist. This does not mean that I have no sense of morality, ethics or how I fit in the world.

My hubby (Almost Atheist) sounds like what you describe yourself as. The only problem I have with this is the after life. But only from the emotional standpoint I admit. And then, the other thing I have trouble buying is that all of this creation just "came about". There are too many details that I see in the universe that has me believing that there is something more. Maybe a bigger picture than anyone of us can see or understand.

It's like if I walk along on road and see 2 stones in a line...were those stones put there or by random chance...I'd say, they could have been. Now let's say 3 stones are in a design of a triangle? I'd still say it could happen by chance. Even 5 is still not enough to believe that it wasn't random. Now we come to 1,000 stones that end up making a beautiful picture...I'd have to say "no way...someone HAD to have done that. This is how I see the world, universe and the creation. Too many details.

Now, I can buy that some higher power out there STARTED it and stepped back to watch what the outcome would be. And then I can see evolution in that way.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Religion divides ... Spirituality unites... that is my bottom line.

As soon as someone declares themself to be a certain religion, it seems like some judgments are made about the kind of person they are ... or aren't. I shy away from religious discussions. Usually, I just say, "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual." I nourish my spirituality from the inside out. I value and appreciate it most profoundly when I value and appreciate and honor my Self.

I know for sure that I do not subscribe to an ill-tempered, vindictive rogue gawd, who holds out carrots and empty promises for obedience, or threatens people with hell or death for disobedience.

I believe that since we have free will to choose for ourselves, there is no right and wrong, good or bad. Naturally, some choices may be healthier than others. Ultimately, if I take care of me, I am doing what is healthy for me. That includes healthy friends, who are not co-dependant or dependant on me, by leaning on me so that I hold them up or carry them. My friends must choose to stand on their own two feet, as well as I do. No addictive personalities, who are addicted to drink, drugs, gambling, or sex. Stuff like that just unevens or destabilizes the load of responsibility on my relationship with them.

I believe and accept astrology, and since I am a Libra, with a Libra rising sign as well, balance is very much a part of who I am. I feel my healthiest when I am "on centre", and not being pulled this way or that way. I also believe in peacefulness. That too, is very much of who I am.

Buddhism is really a way of life, so much more than a "religion". There are aspects of Buddhism that I relate to, such as knowing when to let go, no clinging or grasping. I guess I apply that to relationships and to jobs. If the job or relationship is unhealthy for me, I let it go. I accept the impermanence of this life. I know if I am in an unhealthy relationship or job, there is always another relationship or job out there that is healthier. And I find it. I like the Love relationship and the job I have now. In both, I feel like I get to be myself, without judgment. I am accepted and appreciated. I also accept and appreciate. And I get to express my creativity.

I fully trust the Universe to provide the life I desire. I just know that what goes around comes around. If I treat people in a way that I like to be treated myself, I just know that my life operates smoothly, peacefully, with style and grace. Sounds like something I read once ... somewhere.

Yes, I believe in reincarnation. Next time around, I want to be a successful and creative ballerina!

I believe that we are made from Love and our mission here is to Love and accept ourselves just as we are. If we love our Self, we allow others to love us, and also make room to love others. I love and accept my human-ness. I know I am Spirit having a human experience. My spirituality is alive and well. My experiences teach me things about my Self and this life.

There is a lot more ... I could write a book.

Ooops ... I already have!

Love,

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit