What "religion" type do you follow?

by FreedomFrog 54 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Hi, I'm on my "spiritual search so I want to see what "religion"/non religion you choose and why. For example: Are you Christian? Pagan? Other? What do you like/dislike about it? And what made you decide on that decision?

I'm trying to find out where I fit in, if that makes sense.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I consider myself a humanist. Its not a religion I know.. I'm interested in the Unitarian Universalists presently. I also like a lot of Buddhist teachings. But, deep down, I know its all pudding.

GBL

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

GBL, do you believe in an afterlife of any kind? Like reincarnation, heaven...or do you feel that you will just simply cease to exist?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I consider myself a humanist

Yes, me too. I do believe in after life. I just dont fall for the whole, "we are just animals" or "we are just biomachines running emergent software"

I dont think I believe in the Judeo/christian god anymore though. I think we are all god in our own right.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

from what I gather religion from latin to bind, means whatever binds you to your view of ultimate reality.... in that respect I am agnostic as I have come to the conclusion that no one does or can know the ultimate nature of reality, not even a god like being.

the best we can do is to deal with what arises within our consciousness, and some or all of that can be hallucinations, so I try to gamble with my best skills towards contentment as this seems to be the goal of everything I do.

Beyond agnosticism, I have found that certain forms of meditation are able to bring peace of mind and improves the health of the apparent body... and so I practice that.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Freedom I would like to believe in an afterlife but the evidence just isnt there to support it. I'd also like to believe I'm as hot as Brad Pitt but the evidence just isnt there to support that either. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a hopeful but extremely skeptical agnostic. If there were a God in the universe I hope he would appriciate any effort we make to help our fellow man, I think that would be all he could expect since he makes no effort to prove his existence. But that dream isnt my motivation in trying to be the best person I can be.

I know how you feel about the afterlife though Freedom. It would be nice to think that there is one.

GBL

• heathen
    heathen

I still believe in God but don't have any liking for religion or agree with most of what they say anyway . It always gets me how these people can claim all this knowledge of God and his purpose for mankind but can easily be proven wrong on alot of the doctrine simply when using the bible . It's amazing how people can be misled so easily . Religion is a snare and a racket ... .

• upside/down
    upside/down
    I'm trying to find out where I fit in

I find THAT'S the problem... and there's always a charleton out there to accomodate you... but he's human just like you.

Why do we need to "fit in" in a spiritual way... I actually think JC's counsel warns against this. Truth seeking is a solo sport... don't spend too much time in that pursuit... because you're not gonna find "all the answers"... no one has yet. So eat drink and be FreedomFrog for tomorrow you may/will die.

Try not fitting in... it fits me.

u/d (of the not quite a guru class)

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi:

I am Catholic. You can read about it at my website:

www.catholicxjw.com

Jeff Schwehm

• upside/down
    upside/down

No offense Jeff,

I was Catholic, born and raised... even went to Catholic school.. Mater Dei High in Cali. with honors.

ALL "religion is a snare and a racket".... but if it works for you - "God Bless"!

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit