What "religion" type do you follow?

by FreedomFrog 54 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

FF, I don't know if Buddhism believes in the Jesus story or not. Buddha predates Jesus by about 300 years, and by thousands of miles, as Buddha was born in India. Maybe even the same soul.

Yes! I believe in reincarnation, assention to the spirit plane as a master teacher (sort of like a Saint) no longer requiring "earth time", and further assention to heaven. The spirit plane and heaven being different things. These fall into more Buddhism teachings of enlightenment.

Yes, the Jesus story is told over and over again in other cultures, cultures that had no contact with Christianity nor the Roman Empire which post-jesus carried the "message" of Christianity throughout, as did his many followers. My own "belief" without proof is that Jesus existed, but The Christ exists. Unfortunately, Paul really did a whack job on Jesus work. Do I believe the bible? No. Do I believe parts of the bible? Yes. There is no whole book or cannon of books that does not carry mans' (or woman's) attitudes and influences.

Yet there are incredible pearls. I put Paul down, but his section on Love to the Corinthians, especially as broken down by Rev. Henry Drummond in "The Greatest Thing In The World" http://website.lineone.net/~henrydrummond/greatest.htm is incredible.

When god-entity (I am an agnostic also, because I do not believe god-entity is a diety to be glorified) said "let there be light" The Christ being is the one who threw the switch that started the Big Bang that put Evolution in motion. Yes, I believe in Intelligent Design with no christian or other religious influences.

Agnosticism leaves the mind open for any and all, or no thought on god. This one I learned here and took for my own here on JWD.

Who else has The Christ been on earth? I don't know. Maybe he did, indeed, reincarnate here on the Americas and select 12 more apostles as the Mormons teach. Maybe he was Buddha, Krishna, Ghandi. Maybe even Pope John Paul II (who I believe is another peacefilled soul ascending the ladder toward heaven, not The Christ).

Mary, too, is found in many cultures. I believe one of her older "incarnations" is Kuan Yin, who predates Buddha by several hundred years.

What have I studied, who's writings. Hard for me to define as I catch bits and pieces here and there. Most of my study is experience, human and ascended master teachers. I've had the privledge of meeting many along my journey.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I spent the better part of my life searching for god, believing in god, praying to god, blah, blah, blah. It's caused nothing but pain.

I'm done. If there's a god that has any interest in me he knows where I am. But I'm not prepared to waste the rest of my life pursuing someone who obviously has no interest in me.

Walter

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Agnostic is ones that believe in what feels right...right? Is that the correct definition?

So, if *I'm* "angostic" I do/do not believe in Jesus...or I do/do not believe in an after life. Depending what feels "right" to that particular person and maybe at that particular point of time. Am I correct?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I'm trying to find out where I fit in,

It may be helpful to know more about who we are, before we try to locate a place to "fit in".

I suggest shifting focus away from religions and dogmas, and placing it more on being present with life, and really feeling what it is to exist. In other words, follow, or companion with your own present-moment actuality. Make discovery of existing truth within you paramount; then, when there is deeper clarity of who you are, it will be effortless to see where you fit in. Or, you may discover you are already right where you belong.

j

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    If there's a god that has any interest in me he knows where I am.

I can understand that...and I feel that God/Goddess (if there is one or more) is more loving than we humans give him/them credit. I don't think that, if there is a higher being, will punish us for not knowing.

A little off the subject, Walter, I LOVE your avatar. Is that a picture of your bird? I have two Umbrellas myself.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Agnostic is ones that believe in what feels right...right? Is that the correct definition?

So, if *I'm* "angostic" I do/do not believe in Jesus...or I do/do not believe in an after life. Depending what feels "right" to that particular person and maybe at that particular point of time. Am I correct?

not quite. agnostics basically feel that it is pretty much impossible to know what the 100% truth of certain phenomenon is, for example the existence of God. they really are neutral and most i have met are very open minded to whatever evidence supports itself. it is a very honest position, as it is pretty much impossible to prove the existence of god(s) either way 100%. i respect the agnostics very much. i fall, however, one small step further in disbelief to what is termed "weak atheism". not that we are "weak" in our beliefs, but that unlike strong atheists who positively assert "that there is/are no god(s)", weak atheists only assert a "lack of a belief in god(s)"...basically because there is a lack of credible evidence for their existence. science really helped me to see that the gaps that a god fills becomes smaller and smaller as time passes and we become smarter as a species, IMHO. if god does exist, and he presents positive evidence as to his existence, then i would become a believer immediately! so there you have it. it's not a religion per-say that i subscribe to, but simply the neutral position of a lack of belief.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Interesting, I wonder what I am then. I consider myself a Christian but believe it is impossible for us to prove or fully understand the nature of God. Does that make me an agnostic Christian?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Good explanation of Agnostic and Athiest. TY.

I like to suggest god is She/He/It/They.... S.H.I.T. I didn't realize that acronym until recently and I've been using the She/He... for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Does that make me an agnostic Christian?

A Christian is a follower of Christ's teachings. the Christ did not exactly define God, his/our Father, nor did he provide proof of the nature of god.

So, agnostic Christian is not an oxymoron.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Is that a picture of your bird? I have two Umbrellas myself.

The avatar was created from a pic I found on the internet, but I got my Umbrella in January. I love her to bits!

I have a pic of her here: http://www.network-innovation.net/images/bird.jpg

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit