"I prayed for you"

by Scully 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

Gently Feral,

That is the arrogant attitude people are talking about! YOU have a connection to some superpower do you? I bet people really warm to you when you say stuff like that

Everyone:Despite GF's comments, most people into mystical stuff don't talk about what they've done, or can do, and they certainly don't "pray" for people without their permission. It is incredibly condescending to walk up to someone and say "oh you have a problem? don't worry, I have a special connection [power / spirituality / whatever] and I can't sort it out for you! I know you're pathetic and weak so I will do it, don't worry"

I know exactly what you mean, scully.

Sirona

• JW83
    JW83

LOL at Terry!

Scully, I find it really offensive, mainly because as an ex-dub, I've also been arrogant & prissy & just plain annoying!

My mother-in-law sent me a prayer card when my parents were shunning me (she is Catholic). I knew she had good intentions, but it was very condescending, particularly since I am AGNOSTIC and of the GODLESS LEFT!! Thank you people - don't pray for me!!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh my Darling Scully!!! ( & everyone else) I see where I have offended you all Many,Many times....I never realized you felt that way about "I will pray for you" I wont do it again...(Little Toe you should have warned me....)
    I have prayed for you all. & since I dont have a "Heaven Erasor" I am afraid they went from my lips to Gods ears.
    But I promise I will explain the next time I talk to Jesus -I will tell him I was sorry to be so invasive- My Grand kids all think it is garbage too ( but to tell you the truth if it wasnt for God I couldnt be helping them as much as I do & It is ALOT).
    So NOW! on top of every thing else this "sometimers" ( not alzheimers)has to remember is dont pray for anyone unless they ask for it.. ( O.K. mouthy go write it down -you know you will foreget.(((((((((((((SCULLY)))))

• mouthy
    mouthy

I would be tempted to tell them to forget the prayers and buy a lottery ticket for me instead. At least then I'd have a small chance of it working.

Target send me your address I will send a Lotto ticket.I dont know if Canadian ones work there though _smile

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

No it won't bother me: In my opinion it have the same impact as wishing me "good luck", "good health" happy holidays...

It are their personal wishes for me...... and I do appreciate their good wishes....

on the other hand, when they put a curse on me, or practically consider me dead (JW shunning) that's somesting I would detest....

Branda

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Morning Grace,

Just offered one up for ya

I have no problems at all when folks pray for me. I think it's very kind.
    Just because I hold myself to that standard, I'm not ignorant of the fact that others have differing standards. I do find it strange that some would actually be offended by it, but that's their standard, too.

As for Terry, he's a jaded old b*st*rd, anyhow

The one time I had difficulty with it was when one particular woman kept assailing me every time we met. She would grab my arm and tell me how she was praying for me and my wife to be together and how she was certain that it was being answered and that my wife would become a Christian and leave the JWs and everything would work out.

Now the woman was well meaning, but frankly deluded. I've never seen prayer work like that, to undermine another individuals rational mind. I would place it as something akin to black-magic, to attempt to do so. There was nothing about "if it's God's will", in this woman's message to me, just "I'm praying and... it will happen".

Meanwhile I was seeing my relationship going down the swannie river, against all my hopes and efforts. I had no such "message" from God, nor did my most intimate prayer-circle.

I've still got 100% prayer success rate, but I don't put that down to me. I pray as "led", and have seen many wonderful results.

Every blessing, sis.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I was musing over and thought it ain't correct what I said.

Whenever the dubs said "Jehovah's Wishes" to us, I was thinking: It ain't in your power to grant us Jehovah's Wishes and it annoyed me (even when I was a dub myself)

I do pray, and occasionally I'll ask the Almighty to help people from whom I know they are in trouble - mental or physical. I am not going to say that to the person, mentioned in my prayer. (except once when I had strange sensation - and I was asked to do so)

When I was a dub, everything was so easy: you knew who to ask for help (and did'nt got it) things were just as they were, and i was so certain that I knew what was the truth. Today I am no longer certain if Jehovah is indeed the Almighty's name....

Today I only know there is MORE on this earth then I have knowledge of...

Here in the Netherlands, people are'nt used to say I pray, or prayed for you (only the dubs do as far as I know - telling that I mean) since I have non or very few contact with dubs anymore, nobody is telling me this.

and yes, I do accept ALL good wishes.... (and prayers when this is the intention)

• mouthy
    mouthy

The one time I had difficulty with it was when one particular woman kept assailing me every time we met. She would grab my arm and tell me how she was praying for me and my wife to be together and how she was certain that it was being answered and that my wife would become a Christian and leave the JWs and everything would work out.

Yes that would bother me also. When Melanie was dying. many Christians told me they had faith she was going to live...( LONGER) But I never asked that she live> just HIS will be done.
    Although I wanted her to live- & she thought she would live to see her kids marry...BUT she didnt ....I was VERY ANGRY at GOD!!!! But now when I see all the trouble I am having with her three children ( whom I love) I think HE knew down the line - this was the way things were going to pan out..She always thought her kids were perfect. I dont think she could have stood what I am handling now. I think sometimes " How can we NOT believe when we see such beauty around us. ?Not the man made stuff the Nature & beauty....But now I understand fromthis thread WHY I always seem to end threads . They look at "mouthy" & think like my grandkids "Oh a Fanatic" But my Grandkids call me EVERYDAY to help in one way or another. I only hope when I kick the bucket they call on ( "you know who"!!!! Love ya Little Toe. Love your tape also. GG

• Robdar
    Robdar

Grace,

I hope that you will continue praying for me. It seems to me that I can even feel you while you are doing it. And I always feel better afterwards. Thank you for thinking of me and for caring.

Much love,

Robyn

• Sirona
    Sirona

Grace,

Let me clarify. I am very honoured when someone takes the time to pray for me. I suppose my only problem is people saying to me "I will pray for you" with regard to something I am going through. I suppose its the telling me bit that I don't like. If someone prays for me but doesn't tell me, or if I ask for help and they mention they've already prayed, well then I'm very happy and humbled. I think this thread relates more to those who pray for you because they think you are somehow deficient. I know you don't think of us that way. Thanks for your prayers!

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit