"I prayed for you"

by Scully 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

My dear Grace

You are one of the kindest, most loving souls I've ever had the pleasure to "meet".

When you tell me (or anyone else) "I prayed for you", it's like saying "I love you"... that's how it feels to me when you say it, and I do appreciate it.

Don't ever stop being "you" on my account!! I was just a little annoyed with my co-worker for making an announcement like that at an inappropriate time (in front of other co-workers and my boss) and making me feel embarrassed for having confided in her. This is totally not about you!!

I love you!

• mouthy
    mouthy

((((HUGS))) all around!!!! Thanks Sully

• mouthy
    mouthy

I mean scully

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

One thing I didn't think to mention earlier is that I DO believe in the power of prayer.

There have been two times in my life where I received prayer and can state without flinching in the least that I believe fully the prayers were heard and answered.

1) When I was 18, I was still partying and into doing acid. My step-brother committed suicide over problems he was experiencing with acid flashbacks when I was 12. I thought I'd never end up in the same boat, but I was stupid enough to get into acid later on, and the last hit I took resulted in me being "stuck" on that trip for 3 months; I was highly suicidal, felt like I was on speed 24/7, was still having some visuals, and was extremely paranoid to the point of chasing a car with a ball bat because I thought the people inside were spying on me. One day my mother called a large church for prayer (please keep in mind I'm no fan of this big church to this day). On my way home from school that day, I felt the problem removed and felt totally normal again, and this caused me to really start seeking after God, reading the Bible, wanting to do everything I could to thank Him.

2) I had terrible exema on my fingers for about 2 years and was told the problem would never go away. I put medication on the fingers, but they still looked like they were puffed up about half-again as thick as normal and looked like I had a bad case of poison ivy bumps that would later dry up and leave really deep cracks in my fingers that was really frustrating since I was a guitarist and was only about 20 and embarrasing. One of my Christian friends was wanting to pray for me, and I just said I didn't believe in praying for it any more and that it wouldn't be healed, but then he prayed and "commanded" a miracle healing (which I didn't agree with how he prayed and was actually a little worried about it). Within the next couple days, the problem was fully gone.

I know I saw the thread about people playing roles, etc., and I'm sure some people will think this is all bs or just coincidence. I can only say I have no reason to lie and largely believe in God due to those and things I've seen happen for others I know of.

Regardless of each person's beliefs, peace to all.

Leonard

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    "sometimers" ( not alzheimers)

LOL! My dad (Albert) used to say he had it first and they were going to call it "Al Smiths Disease", but through a clerical error it was "Al Zimer's Disease". He's very bitter about the mixup, as you can imagine. (Though I think he's forgotten about it)

* some names have been changed because I can't remember my own last name at the moment [Guiness overdose]

Dave

• Sirona
    Sirona

Leonard,

Interesting experiences. Has it encouraged you to pray?

I'm of the opinion that the mind can do a lot - therefore prayer works primarily in ones own mind. I do believe in God as the ALL, but that God is part of us and we just need to touch that part of us to be in touch with God.

Sirona

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Hi Sirona,

Leonard,

Interesting experiences. Has it encouraged you to pray?

I'm of the opinion that the mind can do a lot - therefore prayer works primarily in ones own mind. I do believe in God as the ALL, but that God is part of us and we just need to touch that part of us to be in touch with God.

Sirona

It had definitely encouraged me to pray, though I felt like it was the prayers of others that helped me -- even when I wasn't even aware the prayers for me regarding the acid trip problem were being done until after I called my mother later the same day to tell her I had been healed.

I feel like prayers I've said for others have had an impact, though I can't say every prayer has. I had a friend that was intensely anti-Christian/anti-God that I prayed for over time that I eventually ended up praying the prayer of salvation and another friend who was an ex-JW in the same boat that later totally changed around.

I agree with you that having a certain mindset can make a heck of a difference in about anybody's life, and it's possible that feeling God is with someone can help cause that person to act differently in a way that might bring about certain actions that would work out well for him/her. I also believe in the power of prayer, itself. I don't believe in praying in front of a person in a way that seems to be saying, "Look at me; I'm the holy person here," or "You're no good and need someone else to pray for you." I believe that humility is extremely important in prayer.

In common with what JW's apparently believe, I've often thought of "the prayers of a righteous man does much," and being so imperfect, there've been a lot of times I haven't had faith in my own prayers, and after going through some majorly bad things over a several year period of time, it started getting tougher to pray with confidence. I started praying again for my wife (even when she was just my friend -- like when I first started posting here) to see the light about the "Truth." She's now started really looking into things and even has her own moniker here, though things have been really tough for her, not knowing what to trust at times, but she's searching. I know this type of thing as well as most others can happen without prayer, but I still have to feel God is helping -- not because I am a good man (I have MANY problems and don't go to church or hardly pray recently, etc.) but because He cares about her and even cares about me -- a person who definitely knows he is not "worthy" of anything.

• Terry
    Terry
    GentlyFeral:
    I am not superior to or you; only better-mannered - sometimes. Perhaps. You are not pathetic; only (sometimes) rude.
    Here, let me lightly edit the last words you put in the mouth of your straw-man theist...
    I have important connections to some of the most powerful forces in the universe and will put in a good word for you out of the kindness of my condescending heart - because I can.
    But, you know, Terry, I'm willing to make an exception in your case, if it would make you feel better.

Heck, how I FEEL is personal and can't be rude, can it? Only you reacting to my feelings and interpreting it PERSONALLY can make you feel like I am rude. Right?

Besides, my opinion about prayer is genuinely expressed. And, importantly, it is in response to my having been asked (by the original topic query). By answering truthfully I am expressing my own answer as regards myself.

How ever can you turn that against yourself and transform me into a rude person in consequence?

Puzzling, indeed.

But, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Terry

• bebu
    bebu

Scully,

I was just a little annoyed with my co-worker for making an announcement like that at an inappropriate time (in front of other co-workers and my boss) and making me feel embarrassed for having confided in her.

I think I would feel more than just a little annoyed!!! No wonder you're ticked!!

I don't believe in praying in front of a person in a way that seems to be saying, "Look at me; I'm the holy person here," or "You're no good and need someone else to pray for you." I believe that humility is extremely important in prayer.

Aaaa-men, Leo.

bebu

• jgnat
    jgnat

I pray a lot. I ask my bible study friends to pray for my family. My family is going through so many things, and I am so helpless to intervene. When I can't, I ask God. I have seen some amazing answers to prayer lately. But I do agree with Scully that there is a type of passive/agressive, pious prayer-giving that is more like a slap than a kindness.

I think "I prayed for you", mentioned privately, is less offensive than "I will pray for you", especially in public. I agree with Little Toe, that for these types of events, permission should be gained.

I stopped saying "I will pray for you." when I noticed how many times I did not follow up. It felt like offering a prayer (that may or may not be delivered) was cheaper than flowers and faster than an e-card. So, now, depending on the beliefs of my friend, I ask if I can pray for them on the spot. There and done with.

The show stopper for me was a woman I tried to help for months to get her children back from social services. I finally realized she was a major "user", and was much less interested in the welfare of her children than what people would think of her. She was hopelessly and completely self-absorbed. I was disgusted, and slowly weaned contact. When she finally clued in, she gave me a call and asked why I wasn't helping with her errands any more. I told her. She huffed, "Well, you will have to PRAY about that!" and hung up. I felt dirty.

So, yes, offering prayers can be offensive. Christian beware. Work on being genuine always.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit