"I prayed for you"

by Scully 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

If you aren't a "believer", does it bother you when someone says "I'll pray for you" or "I prayed for you"?

One of my colleagues is an incredibly kind and sweet person, and I know she says it because she believes she's doing something good on my behalf. I always say "thank you for thinking of me", because I know that's the spirit she's intending to convey and that she cares about the situation I'm in vis-a-vis my JW relatives, but she knows I no longer believe in God (at least not in the sense that she does) - I wonder does she think that a few prayers are going to change my mind? Does she not have confidence in my ability to figure out my own path in life? Is this a substitute for other forms of "help", whether they are needed or not? Is it for her sake, more than my own?

I have to admit, that it does kinda bug me... the same way it would bug me if a sorcerer told me "I cast a spell for you". It has a kind of disempowering effect on a person to know that someone else is hoping for some kind of supernatural intervention that you may not need or even want.

How do you feel about this? I'm interested in hearing other points of view.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    the same way it would bug me if a sorcerer told me "I cast a spell for you".

Yes, exactly. I usually say the same thing you do, cuz they mean well. But, what i would really like to tell them, where i would like them to shove their prayer ...

Fred

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

This is actually something that I never do without permission.
    I think it's an infringement on personal liberty to implore your "deity of choice" to act in another person's life without consent...

Just my 2p.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well now, let's see. As I understand it, if you pray according to God's will, he will grant your petition. The Bible says it is God's will for all persons to be saved. So, if someone prays for me to become a believer, why am I still an atheist?

• scotsman
    scotsman

Dammit LT, you continue to go up in my estimation! You really have to come back soon.

Like Scully, it makes me uncomfortable.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Why not respond, "Why, thank you very much. I will write your name in a chalk circle and sprinkle it with goats blood tonight. Many happy returns."

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Nothing fails like prayer.

• Scully
    Scully

LT writes:

This is actually something that I never do without permission.
    I think it's an infringement on personal liberty to implore your "deity of choice" to act in another person's life without consent...

That's how I feel about it too. On the other hand, if someone told me "I paid your Visa bill", I'd probably give them a big fat kiss!

• jula71
    jula71

Scully, sorry you feel that way........I'll pray for you!!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It bothers me as much as someone saying, "I'm going to sick my goldfish on you!" and I laugh loudly at the anouncement.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit