"I prayed for you"

by Scully 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brummie
    Brummie
    On this board, when a tragedy strikes someone, everyone offering prayers/good wishes/thoughts of love doesn't seem out of order. At such a point, I decide not to worry about being politically correct and write from my heart.

Good! You can pray for me anytime! x x x

I can barely believe people find such a statement offensive or threatening in some way. The only time I can see it as being offensive is if, say, you broke a leg and someone came up and said "I'll pray for you", but didnt bother to help you get up offa the floor.

Brummie

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    If you aren't a "believer", does it bother you when someone says "I'll pray for you" or "I prayed for you"?

Scully since I'm also not a believer and I have had JW's and non JW's say this to me I've thought of this reply, "thanks and when God gives you the answer in my behalf will you let me know?" I think that should stop them in their tracks and make them think aoout just how much God really does not talk to them either.

But then I really like Terry's comments:

I say this:

"I'd much rather you dance the Hokey Pokey for me. It is just as effective as prayer, but, more entertaining for me to watch as you do something useless."

Or....

"Oh, please don't do that. Please don't pray for me. Your influence on my behalf might cause the Supreme Being to help somebody he'd ordinarily completely ignore just because he's obligated to do your bidding. It just doesn't seem fair."

Nice to see you again Terry!

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

As a Christian, I usually will only say "I'm praying for ___" to someone who is seeming to ask for prayer or someone I'm familiar with as being a fellow Christian.

So, if someone prays for me to become a believer, why am I still an atheist?

Free will.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think it depends on who is saying it, the context, and the intent and, of course, whether I have any respect whatsoever for that person's opinion. Usually I'll take it in good humor. Well, sometimes.

Nina

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I always assume the best when people pray for me. And, yes, I'm...

My name is Gently Feral, and I work magic pray for people without their consent.

<<Group says: "Hi, Gently!" >>

...But as I once told a friend of mine, "You know if I ever 'cast a spell' on you, it'll be to make your life better!" So I always take "I prayed for you" as equivalent to what I always wish for people ...

Good luck!

Oh, and Terry --

I WILL PRAY FOR YOU really means: ...

2.I'm going to speak to my imaginary friend and request purely illusory assistance on your behalf. This is because I'm delusional and don't believe in actually doing anything myself to help people.

If I were still a doctrinaire kind of religionist, I would find this highly offensive. I don't ask for illusory help: I ask for coincidences to line themselves up in my friends' favor. Sometimes they do - more frequently as I get better at making myself understood.

3. I have no skills that enable me to participate in life in a meaningful way; therefore, to cope, I pretend to be helpful while not doing anything at all.

This is marginally closer to the truth. I don't have the connections among human beings to find somebody a job; I don't know how to do the heavy-duty social work a panhandler needs; I'm not a doctor or lawyer.

I don't let that stop me. I do what I can, and that means my own particular form of prayer.

Since this makes me feel superior to everybody else I can view your life as pathetic and in need of my help.

I am not superior to or you; only better-mannered - sometimes. Perhaps. You are not pathetic; only (sometimes) rude.

Here, let me lightly edit the last words you put in the mouth of your straw-man theist...

I have important connections to some of the most powerful forces in the universe and will put in a good word for you out of the kindness of my condescending heart - because I can.

But, you know, Terry, I'm willing to make an exception in your case, if it would make you feel better.

gently feral

P.S. I've taken to praying with panhandlers lately. I put magical oils on every dollar bill in my wallet as soon as I get home, so they're ready to work when needed. When someone panhandles me, I ask their name and pray with them, based on Psalm 145:16: "God, open your hand and give [John Doe] every desire of his heart." That's the whole text Mind you, I haven't had any feedback, but it makes us both feel better.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    How do you feel about this? I'm interested in hearing other points of view.

It used to bother me when I was a self righteous dub. Since becoming a Christian I sometimes have prayers offered in my behalf by other believers and sometimes I am asked to pray for someone as an intercessor. I consider it the greatest of privileges to be able to have access to the creator of the universe.

• target
    target

I feel that if there is a god, He is going to choose to do whatever for me if He feels I deserve it, not because someone else chooses to recite a bunch of words on my behalf. If I am worthless and undeserving, he is not going to intervene just because someone asks Him too.

I never had a prayer answered in the 30+ years I was in the cult and I did some intense praying. I am not sure what I believe regarding the existance of "God", but I do know that the scripture where Jesus supposedly says that whatever we ask for will be given to us is bunk.

I remember my niece having her entire prayer circle praying for my family. That did not work either.

It must not have done much for her either because she ended up committed to a mental hospital.

I would be tempted to tell them to forget the prayers and buy a lottery ticket for me instead. At least then I'd have a small chance of it working.

Target

• Robdar
    Robdar
    This is actually something that I never do without permission.
    I think it's an infringement on personal liberty to implore your "deity of choice" to act in another person's life without consent...

Yeah, what LT said.

Robyn

• Scully
    Scully
    I can barely believe people find such a statement offensive or threatening in some way.

Brummie, it's not that it is particularly offensive or threatening at all. I suppose though, after 20-odd years of being a JW and trying to impose my belief system on other people (albeit with the best of intentions), it's not exactly the most comfortable feeling to realize how it probably was to be on the receiving end of it.

The only time I can see it as being offensive is if, say, you broke a leg and someone came up and said "I'll pray for you", but didnt bother to help you get up offa the floor.

Yer, that reminds me of some JWs I used to know actually.

• love11
    love11

No. I know they mean well, even if I don't believe in it.

It's kind of like saying- I hope Santa visits you this year. I'll ask that he brings you something good.

Just say- Thanks Love!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit