"I prayed for you"

by Scully 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

jeanniebeanz:

I laugh loudly at the anouncement.

I have been tempted to do the same. One of these days......

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

I find it rude, as I consider the person being passive aggressive. Who are they to assume that is all it would take to make me or things better? Especially when it is unasked for. And what makes them think them claiming to pray for me or my situation gives them any power to make me feel better? Now a hug, a card, or simply a sincere listening look eye to eye would do far more!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I consider myself a 'believer', yet since I consider prayer to be something personal, I would never use the term "I'll pray for you". Having said that, I am selective when using the term "My thoughts and prayers are with you"... I believe there is a difference (for me, at least .. one is invasive, the other a term of empathtic respect).

Is it for her sake, more than my own?

Could be, or as simple as "as far as my different belief system, I got ya covered"... - it's a good thing... accept it in the spirit given (unless the person is a real wacko).

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I'm more bothered when I'm asked for prayers (i.e., please keep me in your prayers). I get more touchy when wished a "blessed day" or when people assume I am impressed by their public piety (actually, I am impressed, just not favorably.)

• garybuss
    garybuss

It doesn't bother me. It's just like saying "I wish you well.". In my experience these people don't say this in a condescending way. They mean well. I just thank them.

• Krystal
    Krystal
    Why not respond, "Why, thank you very much. I will write your name in a chalk circle and sprinkle it with goats blood tonight. Many happy returns."

I am writing that in my little black book... I totally intend to use it!! LOL

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I couldn't care less.. I need all the help I can get.

GBL

• freedom96
    freedom96

I find no harm in someone saying "I prayed for you."

They are being sincere, and it shows that they actually care. What is wrong with that?? Best case, the prayer works, worst case, nothing happens. Either way, it doesn't hurt anyone.

• Seven
    Seven

How do you feel about this?

It used to irritate me (I'm not a believer) but I've come to the understanding that the person(s) doing the praying really cares about/loves me . It probably makes them feel like they're doing something extra special and personal. (Hey, paint my house instead) It's the equivalent of me telling someone I'll be thinking of them or sending positive vibes their way when they're going through a bad stretch. I'm not going to take that away from them. On the otherhand if the prayer is for my spiritual health I comment that I've taken care of that myself.

Seven

• Dustin
    Dustin

I know they mean well when they say it. However, I don't want them to pray for me. I don't believe in prayer anymore. I just want them to wish me well and leave God out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit