1975 - Lest We Forget

by GetBusyLiving 92 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

willyloman said:

The story quoted Franz as telling his followers that the end of 6,000 year's of man's existence on earth would end in October, but that expectations that the worldy system would vanish at that time were "not necessarily" accurate. "It depends," the newspaper quoted Franz, "on how long Adam was here before Eve was created." In Franz' mind, the gap between Adam's and Eve's creation would correspond to the gap between October 1975 and the actual "end" date.

The Bible describes Jesus as becoming a full grown man at age 30. So if Adam preceded suit, it could be that good old Jehovah gave him a wife, Eve, at age 30. Which means that we'd better watch out for October, 2005!

I remember this well because there was intense debate at the KH about what this meant (it was the first time they'd heard that argument). The concensus seemed to be that since Adam was perfect, it wouldn't have taken very long to name all the animals so it was probably just a matter of "weeks or months," not years. One respected elder in our congo pointed out that the "service year" that began in September '75 ran until the end of August '76, so there was still plenty of time for the timeline to be fulfilled.

I heard Nathan Knorr give his last major talk at an August, 1975 district convention at Aqueduct Racetrack in New York City. He almost lamented that Armageddon had not yet come, but hinted that, just as happened in 1914, big things could happen suddenly between August and the end of the year. By then, I was jaded enough that it just sort of rolled off my back like so much popcorn. I think it was the same for most JWs, since for a couple of years it seemed to me that most local JWs (not the Society) had lost enthusiasm for 1975. So much had been expected, and so little had happened. Sort of like what happens today, when the Society prints the same tired old nonsense about Armageddon being right around the corner, and JWs take it all in stride and ignore it.

Quentin, the book you're thinking of is indeed the 1959 book Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose. Most were dark green, although a tiny number were medium blue. I think, though, that you're confusing the table of chronology you remember with a different book, since JWDP contains no such table. Perhaps you're thinking of the 1944 book The Kingdom Is At Hand, which does contain such a table. Or possibly some Watchtower magazines from the 1950s. Hard to say.

I don't think that the Watchower Society looks very far ahead at anything. The facts indicate that for many decades they've been mostly reactive, in terms of any doctrinal or predictive stuff. Since 1975, they've been nothing but reactive, since they whipped their own asses bigtime. As has been said, never ascribe to malice what can better be ascribed to stupidity. WTS leaders are extremely stupid. Only their lawyers have any smarts, but because the lawyers think the leaders are divinely directed, what we have is a situation where stupid leaders rely on smart lawyers to tell them what to do, but the smart lawyers rely on the stupid leaders to tell them what to do. A certain recipe for disaster.

AlanF

• Quentin
    Quentin

AlanF

The book was "All Scripture is Inspired of God and Beneficial" published in 1963. There was a1990 edition, would be interesting to compare the two. Bet there were some changes.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you that the Society didn't predict 1975; they may have been cute about not being specific in print, but that did not stop the CO's, who the society whispers to, from drumming it into our heads.

I think this is the key. They avoided printing the words: Armageddon will strike Sept/Oct 1975. But they absolutely promoted the concept with words and innuendos.

Perhaps they learned from prior writings about other false predictions and thought they could avoid trouble by not committing themselves to the written proof.

I was 'in the truth' in the 70's. My dad was PO in '75. I was terrified that we would be more seriously persecuted because of his position in the congregation. I also remember people explaining away the non-realized dream of paradise earth as just not Jehovah's time. He said it would be a surprise. We should remain vigilant. Remember, we are not serving for a date. We are serving for always. So it really shouldn't matter if Armageddon came in '75 or next year or never.

Yup I remember the 'reasonings'. I also remember the talks counting down the # of months until Oct '75.

I didn't leave because of disillusion with a false date. I left because of blatant lies, tolerance and encouragement of cruelty and hypocrisy.

Their denial that 1975 was ever an issue, and the minimizing of the breadth of impact makes me angry.

Aude Sapere (Dare to know; Dare to have Knowledge/Wisdom)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"They said they have been told "That only todays teachings are the truth" it is by "todays teachings" that they go by."

Explain to them that 30 years ago, those teachings were "the truth". And prior to that, different teachings were the truth ... everything from the crap about aluminum cookware & vaccinations to the misleading teachings about various dates. Show them from the Borg's own publications.

I think it will be fun to see what the next batch of "truth" will be 30 years from now. Keep an eye on these sneaky bastards.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear
    I also remember the talks counting down the # of months until Oct '75

The Kingdom Ministry was blatant about that. I can remember conducting 15 or 20min service meeting parts that actually counted down the months.

Any active jw worth his salt in those days knew the signifigance of the year 1975...no ifs, ands, or buts. It was a given we were witnessing the closing hours of this 'system of things'.

What we were really witnessing was the crazy visions, and sooth sayings of a little pip squeak of a man Freddy Franz. A man that should be villified and reviled, even in death, for his egomanical rantings that caused millions to suffer for nothing more than a silly whim, or string of Bible verses he tied together.

Danny

• observador
    observador
    Do any of you have a scan of the front page of that Watchtower with the train falling into the 1975 precipice?

I think you're talking about the scan below, but it's about 1914, not 1975. If anyone has a similar pic for 1975 please please share...

a few minutes later....

OMG, now I see the light. Look at this picture. You won't believe it. This is the page 15 of same mag as the above... Wow!

Observador.

• observador
    observador

There are a few more pics where those came from, but I afraid you'll have to copy and paste the url:

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040312/DOCTRINE2/202200006

Observador.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

But they never said Armageddon would come in 1975. Hmmmm.???

Thanks for sharing that with us, observador!

-Aude.

• observador
    observador

I'm so glad I got an education!!! :)

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Having always been an avid reader - including, unfortunately that garbage for 28 years - I remember well those magazine articles in 1968 ( 8/15 and 10/8). Furthermore, anyone in those times who dared suggest that the end was not coming in 1975 was branded as "weak".

After 1975, I encountered a number of JWs who reckoned that they never believed that the year would see the big A. Significantly, though - if these ones did believe that in the pre-1975 years, they kept it to themselves.

It is true enough that the WTS did not say in so many words that 1975 was going to see Armegeddon - but they certainly and repeatedly left the thought hanging there; which is just as bad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit