1975 - Lest We Forget

by GetBusyLiving 92 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

What they claimed at a recent assembly was that it was just evidence that they were on the watch and not sleeping as Christendom does.

• karter
    karter

I remember Leo Greenlees telling us at the 1973 International Assembly that this would "probably be the last
    International Assembly this side of armageddon". Then damage control set in. We didn't tout 1975 as the end of the world. The rest is history.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

It enrages me to my core that people who did not go through the 1960-1975 as a JW spout off about how it was just a small group that mislead themselves about what to expect around the year 1975 & are now trying to blame the org'.

The leaders of the WBTS are lying to you when they try to distance themselves from the 1975 debacle.

The leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses did whip up expectation regarding 1975.

The leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses got us so excited about our imminent futures in the years leading up to 1975.

The leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses praised ones that sold off their homes to pioneer in the 'few remaining months' prior to 1975.

The current leaders of Jehovah's Witnesses may not be the same ones that whipped up our hopes back in the 1975 time period but as an entity the WBTS organisation IS STILL RESPONSIBLE for one of the gravest errors!

Hebrews 6:18: says "It is impossible for God to lie"

Any attempt to use legal weasel words or phrases to distance themselves or apportion blame to the victims of their lies has to be noted by Jehovah who will surely deal with the deceitful Watchtower Bible & Tract Society very severely.

An organisation that lies or uses deceit has not & will not be used by Jehovah.

• NowAndThen
    NowAndThen

Much literature post-1975 is revisionist history. The Proclaimers book is pure revisionist thrash. That book was a trigger in my search for some other explanation of the WTS's past. I had never read such sugar-coating, self-glorifying "history", except in eulogies written by despots.

As to whether 1975 will be forgotten, yes it will by those who never lived it, or those who were wise enough not to let themselves seduced by it (this of course excludes kids who had to kowtow to their parents). It is somewhat like war: those who never lived it can see the pictures, read the stories, revisit the history. But the impact is hardly ever the same as those who actually witnessed the event.

My opinion, obviously.

• Farkel
  • Libelle
    Libelle

Englishman - thanks for the WT post from 1968. Great reading - now if I can get my hands on an "actual copy" (as opposed to PDF or link) without it looking like I'm on to something...

The only old WT volumes we have of this time period is 1972, anyone know if anything in there refers to the great A of 1975? Maybe The Mr could be "enlightened" by it... maybe.

And ok, you know what crazy world changing event happened in Sept 1975? I was born! HAHAHAHA

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

This is from JT (former poster here on JWD) Radio blog. HE plays a clip of Franz at a convention saying that 75 was gonna be the end.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nofog/2010/08/28/jehovahs-witnesses-failed-predictions

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

They want 1975 out of the way, the big wigs in Brooklyn know it's an albatross around their necks & the sooner it is forgotten the better as far they're concerned.

Let me tell you this Bethel lurkers.......1975 WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

If the GB could have swallowed their pride, were truly humble & REALLY had apologised to the brotherhood for their 1975 disaster as soon as they knew they were wrong, instead of blaming the very ones suffering because of the failed predictions many would have, I'm sure, felt it in their hearts that they could live with the problems you'd caused them.

But no the GB were too proud, too concerned at keeping their special position as the annointed. the little flock, the FDS, the 'mouthpiece' of Jehovah.

Your demise is still to come.................

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The Watchtower (7-15-76) tried to pin the blame on the individual witnesses. I remember how angry Clyde was about this. Then the 3-15-80 WT. page 19, admitted that the blame included "persons having to do with the publication of the information that contriuted to the buildup of hopes centered on that date." "Nevertheless, there is no reason for us to be shaken in faith in God's promises."

I thought it was interesting that Ray Franz pointed out that the only reason they went that far in admitting their guilt was because the number of publishers began to decrease steadily after 1975. I also noticed that about 1980 was when the Society began to put a strong ephasis on building new Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls. That's when the numbers started picking back up.

Bonnie

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

The leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses are still too proud & puffed up with their own self importance to ever be as humble as they insist the rank & file must be.

The leaders of the Jehovah's witnesses would rather massage & edit past articles that cause them embarrassment, with no reference to any altered texts, than admit to anything that would raise questions as to their self proclaimed position as 'the faithful & discreet slave'.

The leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses would rather 'deceive the unwary', use 'a cheating pair of scales' in fact any underhanded method than admit that they have been or are wrong.

Does this remind you of a class of people that Jesus had to deal with?

Do the Pharisees come to mind?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit