1975 - Lest We Forget

by GetBusyLiving 92 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss
    The Brooklyn con artists struck again.

Well put greendawn

• Honesty
    Honesty
    they never directly said it will come but very clearly implied it. In addition they obviously knew that the dubs were very thrilled over this, but did nothing to diminish their excitement lower their expectations and prevent the silly things they were getting into in preparation for the supposed end. This shows clearly their deviousness and how they did another clever number on the brainless dubs. The Brooklyn con artists struck again.

Pricks

• Honesty
  • inquirer
    inquirer

1975 is too old for many JWs to remember anymore.

The WTBTS denies the whole fiasco.

DY

___

People on this board won't let them forget!

It's all in the WT LIB CD! :)

I for one one let them forget! It's a major part of JW history!

---Footnote:--- If I was in a rock group I would have a song called "Stay Alive in 1975!" lol I would seriously consider bringing it out. And then at the interview they would say "What's this weird song about?" And then I would have to explain everything. :) I would start off by saying "It's about how damaging cults are, the predictions for the end of the world..."

• inquirer
    inquirer

but hey don't knock 1975 too much!

REMEMBER ALL THE GOOD THINGS THAT CAME OUT BACK THEN!!!!

QUEEN
    DR WHO (TOM BAKER WAS STARRING AT THE TIME!!!)
    DEEP PURPLE
    BLACK SABBATH -- Ozzy was the vocalist back then, don't know if he does it anymore
    IRON MAIDEN -- They were going to start up next year!!!! :D :D
    ABBA -- I know a lot of heavy metal people would hate me for saying this, but I loved them!
    ELTON JOHN -- This was his best decade! :D

I wish I could go back in time and just enjoy myself with all this cool stuff. Obviously I am a sci-fi, music nut so I am only talking about those things! I am sure there is a lot other cool stuff that happened then too!

I wish I lived in the 1970's. That would be cool. Too cool.

I was - 5 in 1975! :(

• Balsam
    Balsam

I came into the witnesses in 1971, oh yes they played the 1975 constantly till it came October of that year, then we heard very little. Then they eventually blamed us for expecting the end in 1975, when they were the ones who hammered it into our heads. It is nuts, still I stayed another 26 years raised my boys in it and it just makes me want to puke. Their frigging lies, I hope those old b__tards (GB) burn in some type of hell, they deserve it screwing around with our lifes. Oh I was stupid to believe them and I still have my boys Dad who is loyal to the garbage. Waking up from the lies was like coming out of a coma. I was throughly decieved, willing decieved just like all the other ignorant people who follow such craziness. Us humans are our worst enemy buying into such religions.

In all these years they have not said anymore specific dates. Guess their lawyers told them to knock it off.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that the Society didn't predict 1975; they may have been cute about not being specific in print, but that did not stop the CO's, who the society whispers to, from drumming it into our heads. No college; a KM in 1974 stated that with MONTHS left in this system, it would be foolish to spend it on career or education.

THEY PREDICTED 1975; every true believer just KNEW it would come.

I know two elders who quite very good jobs, lost their retirement and ended up painting, etc to make ends meet; one is still trying to work well into his 70's, and can't do it. My mother sold her house and pioneered on the equity till it was all gone. It is just sick how they screwed over the entire fellowship.

They did it; don't tell me they didn't; I was there.

• Quotes
    Quotes

As reported at http://quotes.watchtower.ca/1975.htm

Notice how the one sentence says "short period time left" and then the very next sentence, continuing that thought, refers to "only about ninety months left"

To blame the hopes for 1975 on "some over anxious brothers" is a pathetically weak excuse which unfairly shifts the blame to the victims of the fraud.

*** Our Kingdom Ministry March 1968 p.4 ***

Making some special effort to do more than the usual helps us live up to our dedication. In view of the short period of time left, we want to do this as often as circumstances permit. Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man's existence on earth is completed. . .

Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out, and there are no resurrection hopes for those who are destroyed then. So, now more than ever, it is vital not to ignore that spirit of wanting to do more.

~Quotes, of the "was a scared child with bad nightmares about the end of the world in 1975" class

• observador
    observador

Let me tell you a little story.

In 1975 I was 9 years old. My parents were introduced to the "troof" around 1973 by an elder who lived in the area. This elder used to say "XXXX, something serious may happen in 1975; something could happen; the society is saying that... bla bla bla...". With this talk, he and his wife were able to drag my parents into the cult.

My mother still remembered that clearly up to about 3 years ago.

Now, that elder was already old in 1973. My mother tells us that that man used to be terribly affraid of anything that could be the beginning of the big A. Example: if there was a heavy rain with ligthning and thunder he would go inside his dorm and would pray, pray and continue praying very hard for Jehovah to protect him. He was affraid to death of dying in the big A. This all was confided to my mother by his wife.

My mother recently visited this couple in the state where she's from and, lo and behold, she was told the man died in 2002. Now, if you ask his wife about 1975 and how she helped bring my parents into that web of lies and illusion, I bet she won't remember. If I press my mother now a little, I bet she won't remember any of that either.

1975 was, for me, one of the first things I rechecked when I lost my faith in the ORG. I think if it wasn't for the Internet, 1975 would go down as one of things invented by "some" too eager to see "Jehovah's promises", as was 1914, 1922, etc. etc. Because of the Net, there are quite a few people writing about their experiences related to 1975 and, so, it can't be easely forgotten.

Observador.

• Quentin
    Quentin

There was a book released about the same time as the "From Paridise Lost, To Paridise Regained". Same size, believe it was blue in color. It was called "Jehovah's Witnesses in The Divine Pupose", if memory serves me right. Anyway, it was early 60's perhapes late 50's. It had a chapter devoted to chornolgy, with tables and all. That is the first instance I remember about 6000 years of human history ending somtime in the 1970's. Anyway, I may have the title wrong, just remember the chapter on chornology and that it was the same size as the Paridise book. Wish I still had all those old books.

Seems the WT was laying the ground work early on. They don't think in terms of weeks and months. They look ahead years in advance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit