Move on...

by mrsjones5 196 Replies latest jw experiences

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    Do I have a problem with the Netherlands being overrun by immigrants who bring nothing - just take ... oh I most certainly do.

I hear ya Viv. Interesting twist. Here it's called "illegal immigration". It burns my hide and I don't believe I am a racist because I have opinions about "illegal immigration". It not only affects me but it affects my children in the way of increased healthcare costs, overcrowded schools and freeways, increased auto pollution, bigger chance of getting into an auto accident with someone who is uninsured and does not have a drivers' license, etc. It's going to be much harder for my children to find summer jobs and interim jobs to help get them through college as well because all these low paying jobs have become careers for minimum wage workers without the proper citizenship papers.

I am not rude to anyone because they are of a different skin color. I respect people and I expect that same respect in return. I do expect that those who break the law by trying to come here illegally and sucking the system for all it's worth be sent back to where they came from though. Come here legally and contribute to society and we will get along just fine. Then you can go ahead and vote, get a drivers' license, put down our government's policies and whatever; so long as you are a "legal" tax paying citizen.

(((GROUP HUG))) -- me too

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Wow are we ever going to "MOVE ON"?....lol kidding

Brooke

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

Not so long as this post keeps getting bumped to the top - LOL

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

True....LOL

Brooke

• fairchild
    fairchild
    (LisaBObeesa) I can educate my kids and the students I work with.

Bingo!

(Merry) I often hear the white folk around here (and this is my race coloring) blaming the Indians for their current condition and waving the Move On wand, especially when it comes to the "special treatment" Indians get or reparations they want made (in regard to broken treaties and such). Although not of a violent nature, there is a fair amount of racism here and I don't like it.

There's a lot of talk about this in my area as well. Many people are ticked off because the Indians don't pay taxes. Whenever I hear people complain about that (and that happens almost daily), I always suggest they read the book "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee", then come back and tell me one more time that Indians should pay taxes.. (Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, imo, is one of the most truthful books on American history).

Do I have a problem with the Netherlands being overrun by immigrants who bring nothing - just take ... oh I most certainly do.

(adelmaal) I hear ya Viv. Interesting twist. Here it's called "illegal immigration".

No, not exactly. The California area being overrun by immigrants is not comparable to the Netherlands being 'overrun' by immigrants. I am probably going to get some grief for posting this, but it is a fact that there was a time when the Western European countries welcomed immigrants with open arms. They were being employed in jobs nobody else cared to do. Dangerous jobs, as well as jobs like picking up the garbage and such. The immigrants were paid minimum wage or less, but this was still a much higher wage than what they could ever dream of making back in their homeland. Of course the word spread quickly, and before you knew it, the immigration from the south became a real problem. It wasn't until then that people started complaining about immigrants taking their jobs. (please read my post on the previous page). However, I know that this is not the same situation in California. As far as I know, the immigration there is indeed illegal for the most part.

Although I can understand where you're coming from (and you made some good points in your post), do think about the following. Suppose you lived in a poor country, you and your family were really very poor and couldn't make ends meet. Would the thought ever cross your mind to 'immigrate' to a place where you could make a better living for yourself, and where your kids could have an education, and perhaps a future? When all is said and done, both sides of the fence are tough to be on.

I am an immigrant myself, but I didn't come here because I was poor. Au contraire, today I'm making about 25% of what I made in Europe 14 years ago. I fulfill my duties to the community and think I have contributed to the general well being of the area where I live, by being involved closely with nature preserve, as well as volunteering for diverse non profit organizations. But all this has not stopped people from pointing the finger at me and telling me that I should go back to where I came from.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    However, I know that this is not the same situation in California. As far as I know, the immigration there is indeed illegal for the most part.

Although I can understand where you're coming from (and you made some good points in your post), do think about the following. Suppose you lived in a poor country, you and your family were really very poor and couldn't make ends meet. Would the thought ever cross your mind to 'immigrate' to a place where you could make a better living for yourself, and where your kids could have an education, and perhaps a future? When all is said and done, both sides of the fence are tough to be on.

I am an immigrant myself, but I didn't come here because I was poor. Au contraire, today I'm making about 25% of what I made in Europe 14 years ago. I fulfill my duties to the community and think I have contributed to the general well being of the area where I live, by being involved closely with nature preserve, as well as volunteering for diverse non profit organizations. But all this has not stopped people from pointing the finger at me and telling me that I should go back to where I came from.

fairchild:

i have no issues with what you said and i am happy to have you here in this country.

it is "illegal" immigration i am concerned with. i am not on the other side of the fence so i cannot say for a certainty how i would handle it. i know i would want a better life for my family in the situation you described above. i would like to think i would obey the laws of the country which i wanted to immigrate to though. i would not be looking for handouts. i would contribute to society as you do. i feel the same way on this side of the fence though. i want a better life for my family and i try to make that a reality by taking a stand on the issues that affect us as citizens.

i am glad we are a melting pot in this country and i am happy to have immigrants here. what i have a problem with is people breaking the law by coming here illegally and my family suffering as a result of it. while i can respect their reasons for doing so i do not like the end result. i have plenty of friends who have immigrated here legally and they are just as bitter. Sometimes even moreso because they had to jump through hoops to be here and make a better life for their family while there are those who take advantage of the kindness of others by milking the system.

i spoke merely from my own perspective being a resident in california. i do not know about immigration and its affects elsewhere. i have heard from some friends who have immigrated here though that the laws regarding immigration in their homelands are much stricter and much less forgiving than ours here in the US.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    But all this has not stopped people from pointing the finger at me and telling me that I should go back to where I came from.

fairchild:

i am sorry you have had this happen to you. (((hugs to you my fellow american)))

• fairchild
    fairchild

adelmaal,

i want a better life for my family and i try to make that a reality by taking a stand on the issues that affect us as citizens.

I totally understand your feelings on this. Because of too much immigration, the quality of YOUR family goes down as well. Like you said, more chance of getting hit by a car without insurance, schools overcrowded, less jobs, etc.. I see that you are in California, this is the state which suffers most under the huge amount of illegal immigrants. It is a sad situation both ways and it doesn't look like anything effective can be done within the near future. The world is pretty messed up. and immigration is only one aspect of the many urgent problems humans have come to face. I wish there was a solution. In the meantime, all we can do is try to help in our own little way.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    In the meantime, all we can do is try to help in our own little way.

yes, i agree.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I havw personally witnessed this happening and I know of people that come to the U.S. illegally and use and abuse the system. It's very sad that while you and I are law abiding tax paying citizens, we have people that come here and get on welfare, food stamps, Social security , free medications and medical treatment. It makes me very upset to see people do this and then flaunt it in your face.

I used to work for a major Credit card co, and we speacialized in less than perfect credit consumers, at one point the CEO saw an opportunity in the Spanish speaking population, no one else was targeting them and they had spending power so an new ad campaign and new products were created to target them, I could be here all day and night telling you horror stories! People applying for the credit card, getting the card in the mail then activating it, spending the full credit limit and then some only to never pay a cent, when skip tracing would catch up with these folks they would tell us that there was nothing that we could do to them as they really didn't need credit because they got government assistance, we don't need to buy a home, car, take out a loan whatever. But my personal favorite one was well I am here illegally anyways just to make money for the family and I am going back to *insert country of choice* and won't need your credit card or good credit and your country's no good anyway. <-----These comments happened daily more times than I or my peers would care to remember. Now before you go post and complain I worked in a Spanish speaking q and we all had Latin heritage, from many diffirent countries. So you wonder how does that affect you? Well after my co lost it's pants in this major venture we ended up raising our intrest rates, repricing almost all accounts and adopting a very intolerent attitude when it came to fee waivers or assisting our customers by having longer wait times and the best part was we downsized and 4,000 people lost their jobs, so if you live in Tampa, Richmond, Seattle or Dallas and were looking for a job, chances are you would have had a lot of competition in the job search.

DL76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit