Move on...

by mrsjones5 196 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwbot
    jwbot

not sure about the multi-mational part, that would mean I have at least BEEN to other countries. (Race refers to skin color ie: Caucasian, Asian, etc; Ethnicity refers to ethnic background ie: African American, Italian-American, Latino, etc; Nationality refers to contry of origin.) So I am a white (race) Italian(ethnicity)-American(Nationality). Does that make sense? I think I just confused the hell out of myself. So where is my apology anyway?? ;)

• fairchild
    fairchild
    In this country white people have told black people that if we dont like the way we are treated here we can go back to Africa. I admit it when CW said that in my post it pushed my button.

Let's combine the two subjects in this thread: "racism" and "moving on". The family on my mom's side consisted of gypsies who settled down in the Netherlands in the late 1800's. Needless to say that some family members lost their lives in the concentration camps during the holocaust. My parents were merely children during the war, but my grandparents endured a huge amount of suffering. Although I didn't grow up with my family, when I was in my teens, I was told repeatedly that I could date anyone I darn well pleased, but not a German. (hmm.. the first guy I ever dated was German, oops). Obviously, WW II was not forgotten and moving on was a slow process, considering the wounds and the losses which still weighed down heavily upon their hearts. Of course, the Germans my age, who weren't even born when WW II raged with all its destruction, could by no means be held accountable for what had happened. On the other hand, we do have to leave some room for understanding the horrible depths of pain some people went through. Should a dog attack you and scar you for life, there's a fair chance that you'll be afraid of all dogs for the rest of your life. Growing up, partially in the Netherlands and partially in Belgium, the bunkers, war museums, movies, etc.. were a constant reminder of the gruesome past. Do I hate Germans? No, by no means, but my parents and my grandparents do. I always felt bad about such racism which reigned over post war Europe. The seventies made room for the eighties, and many Turkish and African people started to immigrate to the Western European countries. They were never treated equally. The words "They are coming here and they are taking OUR jobs" were heard all over. A crime, committed by let's say a native of Belgium would make fifth page in a newspaper. The same kind of crime committed by a Turk would make first, or at least second page. Again, I felt bad about such things. Little did I know that I would taste a piece of that very same pie later on in life. Once out of college, I hit the road with my magic and juggling show and went all over Europe as well as Africa. I was mostly treated like a queen, wherever I went. The hospitality in Africa was truly amazing. I remember sharing a meal with people I knew for a fact couldn't afford to have a real meal, but they had bought groceries and cooked to honor me as a guest in their house. It made me think of how their families were being treated in far away countries and I felt an enormous sadness come into my heart. I helped where i could and hope to God that I made a difference at least to a few people somewhere along my traveled roads. The nineties took me to America. I settled on a few acres of land in the foothills of the Adirondack mountains, which I now call my home. 13 years later, I am still called "the foreigner" in town. About 6 years ago, people tried to break into my place in the middle of the night, yelling that they would kill me if I didn't get my ass back to where I came from. There are a lot of racists around here. Oh pardon me, there are a lot of racists everywhere. In summertime, I sell vegetables in a little booth in my driveway. The booth has been completely destroyed twice. I keep to myself and am definitely not a trouble maker, but being a "foreigner" apparently is trouble enough to some people.

Yes, I can completely understand why offence was taken by the words "go back to where you came from". I have heard them too many times. I know that they were not meant to be hurtful in this case, I really do. But I can fully understand how such words can hurt, no matter in what way they were meant. Bottom line is, if you don't stay where your roots are, you are going to get hurt, no matter what. I don't think anyone can understand this, unless they are in such situation.

I have been known to bitch about the American health insurance system (or lack thereof), and I have been told indeed, that if I don't like it, I'm free to go back where I came from. However, isn't it funny that, when natural citizens of a country criticize an aspect of that country, it is okay, but when "foreigners" do the same thing, it is not okay? I strongly believe that as a foreigner, I need to respect the rules, regulations and the whole system the country operates on, but on the other hand, I should also be allowed to have an opinion, just like everyone else.

I am Dutch, I am white, and I have been living in the USA since 1992. In my honest and humble opinion, we are all human beings, living under God's sun. Regardless of origin, skin color, religion, preferences and what not, we are all human beings with a right to be happy and to make a living for ourselves. We should be able to do this in our own way, at our own pace and in a place we can call our home, in a place where we can feel welcome and safe. Yes, we should be, but sadly, the reality is different.

This being said, I would like to ask, please find a place in your heart for everyone, regardless of what color their skin looks like or where they come from. Being a victim of racism is not much fun.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Racisim in America is not 400 years ago, it is right now, TODAY.

I, as a white Amercian who isn't racist, can't appologise for 400 years ago OR for the racist actions today of OTHER people who happen to be pigment-challenged like me.

It is not about me. It is about racisim and how people who have been treated unfairly feel. I don't have to take it personally when a black person complains of racisim or racist people or slavery.

But I can LISTEN to and really HEAR people who have been are treated in this way....really hear them and try to understand what it must be like. I can hear the feelings. I can educate my kids and the students I work with. I can learn about 400 years ago and how what happened then, to the slaves, ripples all the way to today and touches us NOW.

And I can never, never, tell people to 'move on,' as if their feelings and experiences are not important, real or worthy of being heard.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    So, his ancestors were forced to work and live in Suriname... that was a bad thing for them. But NOT for their ofspring.... He in particular is doing much better then his far-away relatives who weren't forced out of their homes.

I think that holding a grudge to us today, can be done off with : move on. (or go back to Africa, when you think you belong there cos that is your heritage)

countrywoman;

I can't believe you made a statement as racist and ignorant as this! You obviously extremely undereducated and insensitive sweetie. I'm not going to go on and on about how slavery is still affecting the black and white community alike ... just as the holocaust is still affecting the children of survivors and the overall reputation of the Jewish people. YOU SHOULD NOT MAKE BLANKET STATEMENTS ABOUT OTHER CULTURES! YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND -<<<<< PERIOD>>>>

Do some research - I am not even going to attempt to educate you.

As for black people going back to Africa - HELL NO! The Europeans have RUINED the continent of Africa for most black people. Try watching the movie "Sometimes in April" on HBO if you have it. It's a real eye opener about how the British created ethnic division between two tribes in Rwanda that eventually led to an attempted genocide.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. I can't STAND ignorant Asses.

Now - you can take my statements and like them or you can mf'n lump 'em.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I think Country Woman had made a Statement in which we can see it can be hurtful and looked at as a racist comment.

However, if you read the full post she cleared it up and is very highly intelligent!

Brooke

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. I can't STAND ignorant Asses.

Did you even bother to read the entire thread, Sweet Tee? Your tirade is in error.

Jeannie

• undercover
    undercover
    I'm not going to go on and on about how slavery is still affecting the black and white community alike

Please do go on. How does slavery still affect both the white and black community? You live in the US. There hasn't been slavery in the US for over 140 years. Just how does slavery affect you personally?

You can't compare US slavery to the Jewish holocaust under the Nazis because holocaust victims are still alive. Their children are affected somewhat but in another generation it too shall pass into history and the world moves on.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Mrs.Jones5,

I'm guilty of being one of those to tell people to just stop marinating in the past and move on to better and more positive things.

I'm the type to acknowledge that some horrible thing happened, due the proper grieving and then just put it behind me. However, I realize that very few people in this day and age are as resilient.

I'm sorry for having offended anyone with my comments.

DY

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    if someone is gonna act racist towards me and mine not because of something i did just because of the color of my skin how can i move on from that? i can ignore it but how do i protect my kids other than telling then they are more that just niggers? i cant protect my kids forever.

how would you feel if someone treated your little kids that way? do you know how to tell a child that the reason why you cant play with johnny down the street is cuz his parents dont like black folks?

tell me how do you move on from what you cant control other that trying to be the best person you can be?

Josie

I personally dislike to hear people of whatever race boohooing over being discriminated aginst. It's all about what you make of yourself in life. In case you can't tell by my avatar I am a Latin woman. I grew up with people of many diffirent ethnic backgrounds.

You can't protect your kids from everything as much as you would like to. And you cannot control how others think or veiw your race, you can only show by example what a fine person you are. If someone chooses to judge me because of my skin color, I will just smile and show them how much class I haved by not reacting negativley on the spot, although I would be seething inside. I grew up poor like many other hispanics and my goal in life has been to better myself and my family,so I have chosen a path of education, decency and class and I believe that's all you need to better your situation, if someone doesn't like black folks, don't sweat it, if they really think that they can judge someone by the color of their skin then that just shows you what a uneducated moron they are.

He who angers you, controls you. <------one omy my fav quotes.

DL76

• doogie
    doogie
    I personally dislike to hear people of whatever race boohooing over being discriminated aginst.

...umm...

and do you think that rape victims should quit their bitchin and moanin? just because you don't LIKE to hear it doesn't mean anything. if people are upset about being discriminated against (god forbid...) then it's completely normal for them to air the complaint. you can't tell people to smile and be "classy" about being discriminated against.

so I have chosen a path of education, decency and class and I believe that's all you need to better your situation
    i hear what you're saying and for the most part i agree with your post, but just because you have found a successful way to break free of discrimination doesn't mean that others should not be allowed to voice their frustration ("boohoo") with this unfortunate facet of ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit