Move on...

by mrsjones5 196 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    ...umm...

and do you think that rape victims should quit their bitchin and moanin? just because you don't LIKE to hear it doesn't mean anything. if people are upset about being discriminated against (god forbid...) then it's completely normal for them to air the complaint. you can't tell people to smile and be "classy" about being discriminated against.

We are not talking about rape victims here, but race don't quote part of what I said and use it for your personal benefit.

This is what I wrote....

I personally dislike to hear people of whatever race boohooing over being discriminated aginst. It's all about what you make of yourself in life. In case you can't tell by my avatar I am a Latin woman. I grew up with people of many diffirent ethnic backgrounds.
    Complaining for the rest of your life about race and what happened in the past will never allow you to grow as a person and will only harbor resentment, that's not to discount the evils of slavery and treatment of blacks, but that they can rise above it all and they have shown that. There will always be poor and better off, but it should have nothing to do with color. The more we dwell on a persons skin color the longer it will be an issue in years to come. We should see people for who they are or their actions not the color of their skin. DL76
  • doogie
    doogie
    Complaining for the rest of your life about race and what happened in the past will never allow you to grow as a person and will only harbor resentment, that's not to discount the evils of slavery and treatment of blacks, but that they can rise above it all and they have shown that. There will always be poor and better off, but it should have nothing to do with color. The more we dwell on a persons skin color the longer it will be an issue in years to come. We should see people for who they are or their actions not the color of their skin. DL76

i agree and i'm sorry if i misinterpreted your thoughts. it appeared to me in your initial post that you were referring to people that are CURRENTLY being discriminated against, not those whose ancestors were. if that was not what you meant, then again, i apologize.

to me, if someone doesn't get a job (or whatever) because of the color of their skin, i would expect them to boohoo straight to the courts to hold the bigot accountable. but on the other hand, if someone dwells on the misfortune of their ancestors to the point that their own life is damaged, that's a different story.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I'm actually sort of impressed that this topic has gone along with real potential for a war and yet, while emotional, been controlled and even thoughtful. Especially considering how it started.

Good work folks!

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

No problem doogie

DL76

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I must say I apologize in any and everyway I might have offended anyone.

A subject like this is not only touchy but has many out looks in which none of them are truly wrong. As humans we make mistakes(understatement) we do things that are so wrong it goes with out punishment. Slavery Holocaust etc etc....

If we look at the past and the future I believe it has gotten better. Not totally but better. That is something to look at. We will always and forever deal with pre judging and discriminate. We should not hate a group! We should not hate a individual. We should hate actions.

You see good and bad in life. Its what you choose to do with it. Be not one who hates but be loving and teach love to others!

Brooke

• doogie
    doogie

aww...group hug

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

me thinks it's gonna be a big group hug! lol

Josie ~ this topic has grown legs

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Yes, I think these are important issues to be able to discuss. Especially if we can allow our own viewoints to be broadened by the thoughts and experiences of others.

From my observation, living on an American Indian reservation, I see that what happened to a race years and years ago has a very strong and very real impact down through successive generations that doesn't magically disappear when someone waves their Move On wand.

Throughout the US surviving aboriginal families were torn apart, children sent to boarding schools where they were forbidden to use their own language, wear their own clothes, and practice their own religion. Adults succombed to alcoholism and were beaten down by racism. Communities were divided internally into "Treaty" and "Non-treaty" Indians. And if you think that doesn't have or shouldn't have any effect on those who grow up in such an environment, form relationships and have their own children, I think you are sadly mistaken and out of touch.

I often hear the white folk around here (and this is my race coloring) blaming the Indians for their current condition and waving the Move On wand, especially when it comes to the "special treatment" Indians get or reparations they want made (in regard to broken treaties and such). Although not of a violent nature, there is a fair amount of racism here and I don't like it.

Yes, it is important, whatever injustice may befall each of us personally in our lives or in our family, cultural, or religious history that we decide to heal ourselves and take control of our present and future as best we can, but to have someone who hasn't been through what we have or doesn't understand it be dismissive or scornful of our struggles is obviously hurtful.

And that's all I have to say about that... I think.

~Merry

oops, hope this doesnt seem totally out of place now. Looks like a group hug was forming while I was typing...

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    oops, hope this doesnt seem totally out of place now. Looks like a group hug was forming while I was typing...

LOL....np Merry, we all seem to agree on the group hug at least.

DL76

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

The group hugs and kisses just keep on coming in this one ...

Well, personaly I am deeply sorry for what my ancestors did, cuz they sure caused a whole lot of trouble we are facing today. I wish that I wouldn't be forced to pay along for the millions of tax-raised euro The Netherlands are flowing to the Antillen or Suriname. Personally, I think enough is enough. Yes, we bought quite a few people, and gawd does the governement feel guitly in 2005 about it. Positive dicrimation caused me to loose one job already, but I prefer that than paying along for those coming here for economical benefits ... meaning welfare. And don't get me wrong, welfare is large enough to live comfortably on here. And I dislike it even more knowing that when people for some countries come here for a couple of years, live on welfare, and go back to where they came from .... they still get that monthly check made out of -also my hard earned- euro's. Do I have a problem with the Netherlands being overrun by immigrants who bring nothing - just take ... oh I most certainly do.

Just my opinion, burn me for it if you will, it's a free country, I can speak my mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit