Are we really free or are we just kidding ourselves?

by cyborgVision 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I?m just wondering if WT society has left such an indelible mark on some that they simply cannot constructively lay down their argument without resorting to insults, derogatory comments about you and your posting or alike.

Your statement may be true because you included the disclaimer "on some".

Any jw topic is hot. People have been abused in many ways by the b0rg. Expect this topic to be an emotional one. It's not like we're sitting around discussing the weather.

Have you been to non-ex-jw forums where hot-button topics are debated? You will see that some people are able to politely disagree and maintain composure while others are not. To remain polite, not feel personally attacked, not get riled up, etc. when someone disagrees with you is a personality trait that some people possess and others do not.

Many of those who do not possess it are working to achieve it, and are successful in doing so through interactions with others. I have seen people truly develop themselves in forums, over time. Grown adults should be able to be polite, but we all have issues and faults, don't we?

To boil it down to my main point: If you want to discuss a hot-button topic with people on an internet forum, expect that some will be polite and some will not. If most of the people on a particular forum are rude/hostile, move on to a different forum. If most are polite, that's the best you can expect.

• talesin
    talesin

under74

You took the words right out of my mouth ...

• phil78
    phil78

First, fellow queenslander, welcome.

I have been away and missed your arrival here.

are people on this website mainly open to new points of views, new ideas, or is this mainly a site for criticizing

This site can be very enlightning. Unfortunately some have come away from the organisation with a bitter aftertaste. Attacking a people who really don't know any different serves no use. Its not helpful to anyone, and just adds fuel to the societys propoganda.

My wife joined me when we decided to leave together, and while i find discussing things here, or even just reading other threads helpful, my wife simply can't see the benefit.

I have had much help from a lot of people here, and for that i will be eternally greatfull.

There are some good honest people left behind, and some threads that are overly critical seem disrespectful to these ones. My wife won't even browse through the topics, as the critisizing tones are to much for her.

Are we really free?

Well, its a psycological issue, and once you come to terms with letting go and moving on, i think you will be close to your sought after freedom.

Do you feel free? I do. I get phone calls from the elders occasionally trying to set up shepherding calls, but i shut these down and keep moving forwards. We're not DF'd or DA'd, just leaving quietly.

I'm in Brisbane. You?

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

Although I have only recently begun posting, I have been reading this site for some time now, and have learned that there are so many different feelings being expressed, some very bitter and angry, and probably with reason. I realize that everyone has the right to express his opinion. It really feels good to be able to see many sides of an issue, weigh the findings yourself, and decide what makes sense to you, not an organization telling us they have done all the research, and this is what it means (only to change it down the road). One thing I have learned since beginning to read the Bible "in context" is there is so much we DON'T know, and probably won't, as there simply isn't enough information given. Many times it is rather vague what the writers really had in mind for their audience and what they were thinking when they wrote what they did. On the other hand, archeology is always finding something new, that gives added support to many conclusions. To be "dogmatic" is being just like the WT that many of us left. It truly is wonderful to feel the freedom Jesus gave us. As my husband just said, "Name calling is a propaganda technique used by the WT to discredit another's opinion. Everyone on this site has been beat up, let's not beat one another up."

That's my two cents worth. I appreciate being to express my feelings, which for so long I've had to hold in. There have been just my husband and I, and it's nice to talk to others again.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Personal attacks happen when people are passionate about the subject and lose control of their emotions. It happens. We are free here because we are not 'shunned' for it.

Been there. I've been flamed royally by a couple idiots. Don't let it get to you.

J

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Apostates can't get past the Holy Images.

Apostates are just as bad a Jehovah's Witnesses!

I am a former Witness.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Apostates are just as bad a Jehovah's Witnesses!

Turn down the volume, slimboyfat. Shouting is considered very rude. If you have to raise your voice in an argument, you've lost it.

J

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never leave!

DY

• trevor
    trevor
    You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never leave!

From 'Hotel california.' All about addiction and so true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit